Online Recruiting

How many of you in non-computer savvy industries use online recruiting?

I just don't have a good feel for whether or not our qualified applicant pool uses computers to look for a job. Most of our jobs do not require computer knowledge. Currently, I recuit through local employment magazines but the quality of applicants is spotty. Naturally, the website reps tell me EVERYONE uses the internet to find a job these days...

I'd love to hear what works for you, what you don't like, anything I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi HRQ - We use online recruiting - through our UI offices. As an employer we get to post for free, yes, free I tell you! In addition to helping folks with their resumes and giving interview tips, the UI offices have computers for applicants to use to look up jobs. This has been tremendously useful to me and we have hired many ee's from this source. In addition to my ad's in the paper, I have used their online advertising and have had less success. As to some of the other companies that offer the services for a fee, I'm on the fence. I tried it for about a month and the folks that replied were not from the area & wanted us to pay for them to come up for interviews, relocation costs, etc. Good luck!
  • We use online recruiting, also through our regional UI offices. We also are trying an online service called "CareerBuilder" for certain positions. We have found that one of the keys to successfully recruiting candidates via the net is to define the jobs thoroughly enough and be specific about educational/experience requirements, etc.
  • I've used online recruiting since I've been in HR (about 3 yrs). There is a site for every type of position just about, but for lower level jobs you can't beat posting for free on America's Job Bank and others such as that. Also, you might check your local newspaper's website (if they have separate posting options for web and print) and see what their rates are. A LOT of people read the paper online and use it as a job search tool in my area (check out Oregonlive.com if you want a peek). Community colleges also may have partnerships with UI offices and/or post jobs for free on their websites.
    I like Monster.com, but keep in mind most of the recruiting I do is professional to managemnt to executive level. Sometimes we're open to relo, sometimes we're not, but Monster is still a good place to post AND a good place to source I feel.
  • We supplement our on-line recruitment with hard copy distribution.
  • Lori,
    Being in the same industry as you, we don't expect much from online sources either, due to the entry level of the jobs.

However, we do post on our website and get occasional replies.
    Good Luck, Barbara

• I have found online recruiting to be effective and inexpensive especially when trying to reach university students or graduates. Most colleges have websites with employment or career sections. Often you can post your employment opportunity there for free.

These students basically turn to the internet to find anything: airline tickets, directions, romance so its no suprise they turn to the web for job listings.
  • We tried CareerBuilder for the first time recently--it was offered in conjunction with a print ad in the main newspaper in our state. We also tried an ad in our local paper. We received 89% of our responses from the on-line ad.

I agree with the other poster who stated that out-of-region applicants expect the company to pay to fly them out for an interview. Next time, I will put something in the ad to explain that we don't (can't afford to) do this.

One advantage of the on-line add was that it allows you much more space to describe the job--I think ours allowed 10,000 characters. For the people who actually read the ads, this should screen some of them out. A bonus for us was that many freelancers in our industry found the ad and contacted us and we've started to work with at least two of them.

We've posted for free on the web sites of 5 colleges, but have only received a total of 5 responses. This may change as graduation draws nearer for the seniors.
  • Amongst other areas, I primarily use on-line recruiting. I have filled jobs from warehouse clerks to mid-level management and have found top notch candidates.

I only post with monster.com b/c they get the most traffic, but at the same time are most expensive.

Like others have said, if you are looking to hire non-exempt positions, the UI office is a great place to advertise, plus, it is a requirement for some federal laws such as VEVRRA.

I don't like advertising in the newpaper b/c for what you pay for 7 lines of an ad for a Sunday you can place your ad with monster.com for 60 days and take as much room as you want.

The downside to monster.com is that spammers get your email and you get flooded with emails, then there are those who have "automatic" replies based on keywords, however you can block that feature.

What kind of job are you looking to fill, maybe we can offer more creative solutions to advertising for it.
  • Thanks for the responses!

I'm recruiting for 17 locations throughout the Phoenix area - as far as 45 miles apart.

We most often need to hire Lead Teachers for our childcare centers - around 15 openings at any given time. Lead Teachers must have a HS diploma or equivalent, be at least 18 years of age and have at least 6 months experience in a licensed childcare facility. Hourly wage ranges between $7.50-$8.50.

I've been visiting career centers of area colleges and universities and posting on their websites. Too early to see the results.

I have not yet contacted the UI office and will do that soon.

We pay $100 employee referral bonus after 90 days of employment. To promote, I stamp paycheck envelopes, hand out materials at orientation and send flyers to be posted in employee areas.

My recruiting budget is minimal - I've been spending around $500/month, excluding referral bonuses.

I appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer. What might be obvious to you may not be obvious to me! x:D

Thanks again!
  • Maybe silly but how about a flyer to the parents of your kids, "We love taking care of your children- know anyone who might want to join our team?" and list the benefits of working there.

Just a thought.

>Thanks for the responses!
    >
    >I'm recruiting for 17 locations throughout the
    >Phoenix area - as far as 45 miles apart.
    >
    >We most often need to hire Lead Teachers for our
    >childcare centers - around 15 openings at any
    >given time. Lead Teachers must have a HS
    >diploma or equivalent, be at least 18 years of
    >age and have at least 6 months experience in a
    >licensed childcare facility. Hourly wage ranges
    >between $7.50-$8.50.
    >
    >I've been visiting career centers of area
    >colleges and universities and posting on their
    >websites. Too early to see the results.
    >
    >I have not yet contacted the UI office and will
    >do that soon.
    >
    >We pay $100 employee referral bonus after 90
    >days of employment. To promote, I stamp
    >paycheck envelopes, hand out materials at
    >orientation and send flyers to be posted in
    >employee areas.
    >
    >My recruiting budget is minimal - I've been
    >spending around $500/month, excluding referral
    >bonuses.
    >
    >I appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer.
    > What might be obvious to you may not be obvious
    >to me! x:D
    >
    >Thanks again!

• We've done that before and you just reminded me to update the info. I found my current job the same way. (child was already attending when I learned of the job)

Thanks! x:)
  • We use Careerbuilder.com, primarily because the cost for an ad in the Philadelphia Inquirer is breathtaking. And if you are looking for someone to fill an IS position, or anything along those lines, you'll get 60 responses in a day or two because those folks live online.
  • I don't know if this would fit for you or not. But, when I worked for State Government and was involved as a team membeer in industrial recruitment (trying to bring industry into the state and community) we were constantly asked by the chambers of commerce and industrial development organizations in the area about local job opportunities for spouses of executives and others who might be relocating. High on the list, of course, were calibre of the workforce, cultural opportunities, educational environment, shopping and housing. Then always followed closely by 'What opportunities do you have in that community for spousal employment?' Since your coverage area is so large, it might be helpful if you develop some sort of flyer to send to the chambers of commerce in your area or either find out who the lead industrial development arm of the community is and be sure they are aware of the number and calibre of your opportunities. Might serve a dual purpose... they enroll two kids and wind up teaching for you.