Seat Belts - How to Enforce

I was asked to purchase "buckle-up" decals for each company vehicle, but my opinion is that most employees will ignore the decal, just as they do the policies and state law. I need some creative ideas on how to enforce the seat belt issue.

Most employees drive alone, but every now and then, we catch them ignoring this rule. Morale is also an issue, because we've started enforcing the "safety" issues, and they feel that we are already coming down pretty hard on them (picking on them).

Any suggestions?

St. Cloud Proud

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My husband's company ties life insurance to seat belt usage. If he dies in an automobile accident and does NOT have his seat belt on, the insurance only pays $1,000. With the belt on, it pays $25,000. ...Disclosure notices were sent to the house and I pestered him to buckle up until it became a habit.

Employees need to see a tangible reward for their good behavior.
  • The carrot and the stick! The positive reimforcement is a good idea. I believe you get better results through education and having EEs do the right thing because they want to, not because they have to. That said, some just won't and then it is time to get the stick out. If people did the right thing because it was right and because they were eductated, no-one would be smoking.
  • If its a state law, as it is in Mass, there should be no arguement. How would you treat infractions of any other state law while on company time or in a company vehicle?
  • Here's a link to the Florida Highway Patrol:

[url]http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/html/Floridalaw/fllaw.html[/url]

From this link, it does indeed appear to be a law to buckle up. Even if it wasn't, but it's your company policy, I would not mess around with being nice or touchy-feely about this issue. If you see someone not wearing their seatbelt, then write 'em up. There's so many other ways to address morale issues than this one. This issue is about people's safety. Just my thoughts.
  • Cloud Nine, your question on the subject line was "how to enforce" the rule/law, and you mentioned your drivers are alone in the vehicle most of the time.

Getting buy-in to the rule/law is important because most of the time the driver is alone, with nobody pushing the issue. I also like the insurance "penalty" should they suffer an accident and not have their seat belt on.

When they aren't wearing seat belts, write them up. Make sure you can prove how you know they weren't wearing the seatbelt: witness statements are good, but best if the witness is a supervisor.

At the very least, being able to prove the rule is consistently enforced will support you, should you end up taking more serious disciplinary action for repeated refusal to follow the rule.

• Positive is good, but when all else fails write them up. This is a state law. It also helped to educate them to the fact that if you are hurt in a car accident, not wearing your seat belt, it can effect your WC benefits.
  • On the lighter side, one company I know of was doing a safety program on seatbelts. They did an unannounced surprise inspection at the company's driveway entrance. Those drivers who had seatbelts got lifesavers. Those who did not got dum-dums (suckers).

• Sue - I really like this "sucker" suggestion. I believe in making it fun, rather than beating them up all of the time.

Thanks!

St. Cloud Proud