DUI and Company Vehicles

Most of our positions require employees to be able to either drive company vehicles or transport invididuals in their own vehicles. If someone has a DUI on their record, they can no longer drive a company vehicle due to our company auto insurance. Does anybody have a policy written on DUI's and Company Vehicles?

I was also thinking of having all employees/new hires sign a form stating that if they were to get a DUI they would need to notify us so that we could move them to a position where they would be able to drive their own vehicles, and if they were to drive a company vehicle they would be terminated. Anybody have a form like this?

Thanks!

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is the difference in liability between driving a company vehicle on company business and driving your own vehicle on company business? Are you saying that if they have a DUI and must drive their own vehicle on company business, your insurance carrier will NOT insure them? If so, that's a disaster waiting to happen. The reason you have insurance is to shield your company from financial liability in the even of an accident. Take away the insurance and what do you have? And don't think for one minute that the EE's insurance will shield your company. If your EE kills someone with their car while on company business you'd better believe that the plaintiff’s attorney will go after the deepest pockets.
  • Our policy just says employees are prohibited from driving when they are mentally or physically impaired - including temporary impairments such as being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Our insurance also only covers those with clean driving records, and the insurance agent checks drivers license records of all new drivers and then on an annual basis. We do have a statement that employees should notify us if they are no longer eligible to drive a vehicle.
  • The advice you've received is correct. Having an employee use their personal vehicle does not remove your company from liability. The driving record of anyone hired into a position which requires them to use a company vehicle is checked upon hire and annually thereafter. If an employee has failed to report an incident that would make them ineligible to drive and it is subsequently discovered, the employee is terminated.
  • We ban anyone who has a DUI/DWI from driving a company vehicle. It comes down to the fact that drivers with very poor records, or DUI/DWI's are specifically excluded by our insurer.
    I am right at this moment updating our policy and it will include that MVR's will be checked annually, and anyone failing to report a DUI/DWI will be disciplined, up to and including termination.
    The question we all need to wrestle with is, do we want to require specific limits for those who may drive their own vehicle for company business? Or are we all willing to accept state minimum, knowing our coverage hits next?
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Give me your email address, and I'll send you a copy of our Fleet Safety Program, which outlines our requirements for all authorized drivers. An acknowledgement goes with this, a statement of understanding, that our drivers must sign and return to me.
  • I'd like a copy too.

[email]Laura.Kline@ncmail.net[/email]

Thanks!
  • [email]paigel@humanserviceageny.org[/email]

Thanks so much Linda!
  • I'd like to have a copy of that also. Thanks!
    [email]bmontone@flynnstire.com[/email]

• If e/ees are driving own cars on co business, you need to be sure the co insurer covers as well. As someone has referenced, it won't matter whether e/ee is driving own car or co car if accident happens. And we shouldn't relyon e/ee to get additional coverage, because you can never be sure they will keep it current nor if the insurer will grand coverage. The cost to cover it yourself will be minimal compared to the consequences of being surprised.
  • We have added the following wording to the offer letters of employees who need to drive:
    "Because driving an automobile is essential to performing the job that is being offered, you must have a satisfactory driving record. A satisfactory driving record is one in which there are no major convictions within the last three years or driving-related alcohol/drug convictions within the last five years. The Company must be made aware of any driving violations, changes to driver information and driver status changes immediately." The definition of major driving convictions is determined by our auto ins carrier. It means DUI, DWI, vehicular manslaughter, etc. Records of all drivers are also checked annually.
  • Hey, HRPager, I can't send my fleet safety program to you - it says your address is invalid. Do you have another address, or even your fax # - I can fax it to you, too.
  • 605-884-3537 is my fax number. Thank you Linda.