Positive drug test-in the wrong place at the wrong time

2»

Comments

• I worked probation/parole for a long time befor switching to HR, tested hundereds of folks and second hand smoke is the favorite excuse among those that test positive. Every lab I have discussed this with says it wouldn't be possible to get enough in second hand to raise the level above the rquired threshold for a positive test. Never had a judge buy that excuse either. The only thing here to deal with is the positive test, not the employees standing, performance or how the substance arrived in his system.
  • LeeR: It is astounding to me that we Mississippians are so estute. You are absolutely right the focus has got to be the end result of a POSITIVE TEST and not the dialogue on the type of testing.

Our policy removes this company out of the line of fire and provides the ee the opportunity to question a positive result of a company paid test with a more sensitive test result of NEGATIVE TEST which the ee pays. After which, the company will reimburse the ee for the NEGATIVE test cost and admit our test failed.

In the last 20 years I have not witnessed a NEGATIVE TEST RESULT OVER RULE A POSITIVE TEST WITH URINE AS THE TESTING SUBSTANCE.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-07-04 AT 10:52AM (CST)[/font][br][br]As it has been said in many previous posts, a positive is a positive. I could not determine from your post if you deal directly with the lab or have a medical review officer (MRO). If you don't have one I would strongly suggest getting one. The MRO is vital is dispelling the 'second hand' theory. Once we secured one, I would not have the employee swearing they never have used any drugs, and giving me the tired second hand smoke theory.

Bottom line, your policy needs to be your practice.
  • One of my favorite quotes:

"Today isn't a good day for a drug test" My reply, while smiling: Every day is a good day for drug tests. He failed, darn near melted the cup!

Today my positive admitted he smoked, but stopped a couple 2 or three months ago......... yeah right.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Balloonman: Don't doubt that, THC imbeds itself into the fatty tissues of the body and refuses to evacuate its new found home. A heavy weight like myself will retain the THC chemical up to 11-13 weeks.

PORK
  • That is one of the reasons I would never do it.......it would stay in my system for years! This guy has about 8% body fat...........and is a liar to boot. Point was made, I am retesting him in 30 days. :-)
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman