COMMON LAW MARRIAGE

Texas recognizes Common law marriages.

We have an employee who fills out forms as "Divorced", introduces his live-in as his "girlfriend" and signed her up as his "spouse" on our health insurance and life insurance.

What if anything can we require as proof of the common law marriage?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Ethel - you need to look at your health insurance contracts and see how they define a spouse & whether or not your company allows domestic partner coverage. This is where your answer lies, not in trying to figure out how to get proof of common law marriage. I hope this helps!
  • You should contact your carrier and ask what their requirements are for Domestic Partner. Our carrier told me Domestic Partner is strictly for the state of Oregon and California. I'm in Texas too and our carrier requires proof of significant other. I'm sorry but I don't remember what their specific requirements were but I'm sure they vary from carrier to carrier.
  • Hi,

We're in Texas as well. We tell our employees who are in a common law relationship to go to the county courthouse and pay something like $25.00 for a common law certificate.

This satisfies our insurance carrier and we don't have to explain why spousal last names are not the same.

Good luck