Exit interviews...to be or not to be

We have conducted exit interviews along the way, myself having the responsibility as the HR mgr to speak to the individual during the termination meeting. It has been my experience in doing the exit interviews, that there really hasn't been helpful information gained from them. The individual basically either will not say much of anything or there hasn't been any feedback that the organization can use - noting any issues or matters that we can improve on or be aware of, etc... Should they be done anyway for involuntary (we still do them for voluntary resignations) resignations if it seems to result in only the person being able to vent?

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think exit interviews are very valuable...given the right situation. Naturally, if you're conducting an exit interview with someone the company has discharged or terminated, your feedback is going to be limited. Even if you do get the involuntarily separated employee to talk, their response is likely to be skewed due to emotions.

However, I would still not do away with exit interviews in the involuntary termination situations. While 9 out of 10 may not be much of a service to you, what about that 1 out of 10 that really has something valuable to say? I think it would be worth the effort to keep it up...just try to keep them short and simple as to not take up too much of your time.

Also, I think it looks better from a company-wide prespective...you don't necessarily want to convey the impression to your employees that "we care what you think...but not if we're going to fire you"

Just my thoughts...
    :0)
  • I only do exit interviews with employees who voluntarily resign. I don't see any value coming from doing for those who are terminated involuntarily. I too am involved in all termination meetings and get all the information I need from the employee at that time, usually without having to ask.x:D
  • I say continue to do them. You never know what information might come out when someone figures he's got nothing to lose.
  • Do you conduct them interview - style? If so I would definitely go to written / questionairre style. May get more info that way. Of course, if you sit there and stare at them while they fill it out, that won't get you anywhere either. If you want to send it home with them (with an SASE) you might get more info. If they don't return it you could call or send a follow up letter saying "we care what you think". Maybe "cushion" the questionairre by asking about their satisfaction with benefits, hours, etc before asking the "harder" questions like "why are you leaving at this time".
  • I would continue to do them. A lot of what is asked in our exit interview is not relevant to termination issues and I might still get relevant info. Such as: was your job what you expected after interviewing and training? Was the training adequate? Benefits, pay, etc.
  • We do exit interviews for everybody, but skip a few of the questions for the involuntary terms. Most of what we get isn't very useful, but every now then we do. HR is not usually involved in the termination meeting, so sometimes we are able to do some damage control if the manager did a particularly bad job. Then at least their last impression of the company isn't such a bad one.

We also use the exit to give the employee their final paycheck and information about their benefits, COBRA, 401K, etc. and then give them resources for a job search. We will do it by telephone if they don't want to come in and then mail the packet to them. I would recommend continuing them.
  • We conduct exit interviews for all separations, voluntary and otherwise. The interview asks about discrimination, open workers' comp, training, supervisor, co-workers, administration, etc. I get very valuable information and share it with the supervisor. For non-voluntary separations, I get a feel as to whether or not they will be visiting a lawyer.

I also cover benefits, COBRA, unemployment, final paycheck, our reference policy, etc.

They've proven very valuable to me.

• Any termination in HR- voluntary or otherwise- should have the exit interview conducted by a senior manager of another, unrelated area (not the training manager or payroll manager). A lot of problems in HR are not uncovered in exit interviews because of the fox watching the henhouse.
  • Information sharing/giving helpful, parting information is one thing. But, Exit Interviews, in the strict sense of the term, I've been doing them off and on for 30 years, and they are a complete waste of time.

Questions like these are totally useless: What would you like to see the company change? What might we do differently next time to ensure that our employee is productive and happy? Are there particular things about the job you held here that we could improve or tools we could provide to make the incumbent more effective? What is the main reason you are leaving our company? Do you feel that your supervisor offered enough training and development for you while in the job? There is literally no end to these useless questions. Boy, I sound like aluminumfoilboy here. Sorry about that. Just honesty.
  • Our company does exit interviews for voluntary terminations only. The exit interviews are handled by HR. I find them very useful and my favorite question; "What was the most common complaint of fellow employees?" This question has provided us with alot of information. Employees are willing to talk about others in the company for obvious reasons.
  • Exit interviews MAY give one some insight however 9 times out of 10 they do not and for the one time they do, I'd elect not to do them at all. However, here it is company policy and I do have to do them for those voluntarily leaving.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-03-04 AT 11:31AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe YOU are aluminumboy and you are throwing everyone off the trail by pointing fingers at me. HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM???????
  • Naw. I don't think I'd be alumboy and have to water down my comments that much. Only 'you' know his true identity. I'll try to keep your secret but cannot promise. Now, back to exit interviews.
  • I do exit interviews on all exiting employees.
    I would never think of not doing them. I stay away from the warm and fuzzy questions and stick with the basics.

I fill out a simple one page form that contains address/phone number information (you'd be surprised how many people don't update their address with HR)/Dates of Service/Reason for Termination of Employment/Company Property that is to be Returned (keys, phones, etc.). I talk about Cobra rights/and any payment due them for unused vacation, etc. and how their last check will be handled (mailed or picked up).

On the flip side of the form is a WC Release Form (where they certify they do not have a work-related injury to report).

I also get their signature on the form (most of the time they sign even if disgruntled).

• Sorry Jaded, but that's not an 'exit interview' that you describe. At least by traditional definition. That's just tyin' up loose ends.
  • An "interview," as defined by my American Heritage Desk Dictionary, " n. 1. a. A face-to-face meeting, b. such a meeting arranged for the formal discussion of some matter. 2. a. ..an account or reproduction of such a conversation..."

The point is, it is a face to face meeting with me done at the time of the termination. The employee is asked to sign the form agreeing with the information recorded on it. A person can create any questions they like and put on the form during the "interview." I think they are important enough to do; even if you think it is just "tying up loose ends."
  • Let's just say I am trying to keep from being "strangled" by those "loose ends" that don't get tidied up at the end of someone's employment. Once I do an exit interview, I hope I have covered all the bases so I don't have an employee calling back asking me more questions.
  • Granted, there are a percentage (small)when valuable information comes out of an exit interview, however, for me the cost of time spent in worthless exit interviews far outweighs the value. I haven't advocated them for years.
  • I agree with Don. I haven't been doing them as long as he, but in the 10 years I have (on and off) I too believe they are a waste of time. When people leave voluntarily, the only thing I want to know is if it's something we did, so I simply ask, "Why are you leaving". If we let them go, then I know what they did x;-).
  • My experience has also been that EI's are a total waste of time. We make them "optional" for ee's leaving - a form which they can complete if they so desire on their own time. A few have done them but in my many years in HR , not once have I seen any useful comments come out of them.
  • I usually give my "now is your time to vent and possibly help the employees of the future speach", and tell them to take interview form and fill it out after they have been gone for about a week. I give them my card and a stamped envelope and have them mail it back to me. I have had some great feedback that allowed us to be aware of problems that we did not know existed.

Mary Poppins