new hire packet

I have recently become responsible for putting together a new hire packet. Can anyone list all the requirements that all new hire must complete,sign, be supplied with, issued, etc.? We are in California and have grown quickly recently and I am sure that there are things I am missing. The assistance of the experts on the Forum is a priceless tool and I thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A "New Hire Packet" is really determined by what information the employer wants.

The law requires that you have a W4, state tax withholding form (if applicable) and an I-9.

All other information (depending on company size and status)is voluntary if the employer wants it.

My New Hire Packets contain the following:

Resume/Application
    Emergecy Contact Information Form
    W4
    I-9
    State Tax
    Direct Deposit Authorization
    Technology Set-up Form
    Medical Enrollment
    Life Enrollment
    Dental Enrollment
    Handbook sign-off
    Training material sign-off

Other companies who issue uniforms, keys, ID's, credit cards, etc. might also include receipt of such items and policy stating care and condition.

Also, I include in my new hire packets, background release forms and drug test forms, but those are given to the ee before the first day of employment to complete.

Hope this helps some.

JM
  • CA requires that the newhire be issued brochures of CA Disability insurance and the new Paid Family Leave. You can get the brochures from the EDD website.

Also if you conduct 3rd party background checks you'll need a CA FCRA consent form. A CA FCRA consent form requires more details about the consumer reporting agency (listed address, phone #), and notifies the employee of their rights under Civil Code 1786.22, to contact the agency.

We also notify newhires of the asbestos that is located in the building, which I believe is required by CA, but I can't find the law source on that right now.

Good luck.

• Just to add to HR Sage-

You must also supply a Worker's Compensation guide for new hires. Usually your Worker Comp. Carrier with provide you with a brochure to give to new hires. This is only for California not sure about other states.

Lisa
  • Anyone know of any special requirments for WV?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-23-04 AT 04:22PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Our packet also contains our Harassment policy & sign-off form. Also an HR Checklist which we use to verify that all appropriate forms were completed and returned and that we did follow-up to request system access, notify security, etc.

Does your payroll system automatically report new hires for Child Support purposes? If not, include that form also.
  • You have all been very helpful. I am definitely missing some of these items. I appreciate your guidance! Thank you--
  • Do not forget to include the following:

Cobra notification to the new employee and their family members.

AND

HIPAA Notice of Privacy

Good Luck!