Criminal Background Checks

We currently do criminal background checks, however, they only go back 7 years and only check the counties that they show on their application (where they lived). I would like to find a company that would check "nationwide" regardless of what they list on the application, as well as go back more than just 7 years. Do any of you know such a company?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are a companies that do nationwide searches of a criminal background, however going past 7 years is considered out of scope with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Tho, far be it from me to say I am an expert.

My suggestion to to contact several background companies. Such as Lexis-Nexus or TSW who we use.

The number to TSW is 800-447-5530 and maybe they can advise you further.
  • The problem is that there is no nationwide database for state, county, municipal convictions. The only federal registry they run is for federal felonies and misdemeanors. You can pay a small fortune running these checks in and around the counties where people have lived in their past lives and its a crap-shoot trying to arrive at that information often.
  • There is a nationwide criminal database. The crimes reported are those crimes used by the FBI to report increases/decreases in criminal activity. These include all violations. The arrest are reported first and when the case is over the outcome is reported.
  • I use National Search and Discovery for my background checks - it's all online and takes about 24 hours to get the results. We've got a package deal and if they find the applicant has lived in a another state/city/etc... they (for a price) will also do background checks there. They use a social security number search to determine past places applicants have lived.

Their website is [url]www.nationsearch.com[/url]. Check it out - they seem pretty comprehensive to me, although they only go back 7 years.