Casual work attire - HELP!

My boss doesn't like our dress code. As a company we have a relaxed dress code and even allow shorts and tshirts.

She thinks dressing in this relaxed environment exhibits the employees have a lack of respect for others and cause them to steal lunches, money, and knick knacks off of people's desks.

The company had this policy way before I started and I think it's hard now to tell them to start dressing up.

What should I do? We work in a office environment,No customers see our employees - everything is done via phone.

H E L P!

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is nothing wrong with the Boss wanting to tighten up the dress code policy. I vaguely remember some studies linking work habits, loyalty to the job and pride in the quality of work (all pretty subjective criteria, I admit) to how casual the attire. I personally like casual attire, but not to the extent you describe.

I would recommend you try the change she has suggested. Give the EEs some notice and expect them to complain a little or a lot, but stick to your guns and make a go of it. I am sure the boss lady is aware of the "attitude" EEs will display and is prepared for it. Be an ally and a supporter and help her accomplish this change.

You might be surprised at the results.
  • I agree with Marc. However, to play devil's advocate, there is something to be said about how comfortable some people get at work....so comfortable that they start acting like they are at home and not at work. What I mean is (and I'm all for casual attire - BELIEVE ME) the more comfy you are, the more likely you are to act in ways that may be okay at home but are not okay at work. If you have certain lifestyle "attributes", that can cause a problem.

It sounds like you work in a call center. Those environments can be pretty darn tough as far as taming behaviors (for a variety of reasons). If you do end up going the route of a stricter dress code I recommend viewing samples of other companyies policies and doing a lot of research before finalizing it. Then implementation is the other half of the battle. You'll have to know what you're going to do when people break the code - because they will - and STICK TO IT.
  • For the worker who is "engaged" in the companies sucess, attire is not an issue.

I have been far down the road of the three piece suit and dressed to the nines every day. It was a necessary part of my environment at the time. Our clients expected it, our managers expected it and we all did our best to live up to that image. During that time, I worked more hours than I care to remember with lots of evening and week-ends and occasional all-nighters. I rode that pony for 25 years and do not regret a minute of it.

Now that I am out of that world, I get to dress casually, some days (like today), I even wear blue jeans and a sweater to work. I have not worked an all nighter in 4 years, but I continue to work the hours it takes to do the job. Over this last 3 day week-end, I was in every day working on several issues that just had to be done.

I have been unjustly labeled a workaholic, but I beleive that you go home when the work is done, not when the clock strikes 5 bells.

We dress up when we need to. Yesterday, we had a press conference led by our Attorney General with the 3 network TV stations and the leading print media also represented. The whole company was prepared and people were appropriately dressed, no problem.

It's all about work ethic, not attire. I am lucky to work for an agency that understands the value of my contributions, not how good I look (or don't look x;-) ) on the runway.
  • True - for the worker that is engaged in the company's success attire is NOT an issue. However, there are a lot of people who are not engaged in their company's success - they are engaged in their own success and often have a strange / counterproductive way of showing it.
  • No arguement there. I contend, without any scientific longitudinal studies to back me up, that 99% of all company policies are directed at the 70% of the "non-engaged" (if that is a word) employees.
  • I'd have to agree with your contention - if that is a word 8-}
  • I have trouble with this kind of thing where I work also. We seem to bend over backwards to make sure we don't upset employees. The company gets to make the rules (of course as long as they are not illegal). We just went through a change in our dress code. It was a situation where we had to tell employees that they couldn't wear artificial nails and real nails had to be a certian length. We had people that wanted to "grandfather" current employees in and not make them go by the policy because it might "upset" them. Employers cannot think that way. We implemented the policy and you know, not one employee quit because they had to take off their nails. Be aware of employees' needs but also realize that the company makes the rules.
  • With advance notice, the employer has the right to change or create a dress code.
  • I have participated in a scientific longitudinal study on this subject and am currently involved in a lateral, cross-junctional horizontal analysis as well, so I can speak to this with authority. Both studies clearly point to the inappropriateness of arguing with the bosses idea of acceptable dress code. I may think shorts and T-shirts are out of place unless you have a job cleaning the elephant cage at the zoo or are working at a Saturday car wash job; but, it's ultimately your boss who is allowed to call the shots on this one, and my opinion is irrelevant. My personal observation and experience is that sometimes shorts and exposed belly buttons and revealing t-shirts often do lead to horizontal things in and out of the workplace.
  • Wow Don, I'm really impressed with that first sentence. And every word is real word. I'm nonplussed.

Back when I had a short stint as a school teacher, an experienced teacher told me "never smile 'til Christmas". His point was it is much easier to enforce a rule that is made at the beginning and very difficult to try to enforce it mid-stream. That concept has stuck with me for nearly 30 years. Don is right, ultimately the boss's word is law, but he needs to be made aware it can create deeper morale problems.
  • I'm getting better - I only had to look up one word in that first sentence. Life is good!

And am still smirking over the last sentence of your post Don!
  • I think a work environment can still be casual without being sloppy. I, too, agree that work is no place for shorts and t-shirts.

If your job is something like a call center, why not go with a logo golf type shirt and twill or kakhi pants? This would give people comfort without sacrificing professionalism. Even if you could not go the expense of "uniform" type arrangement, maybe the employees could just wear a solid color shirt with the pants.

I've seen the "casual" workplace degenerate into sweatpants, scrub pants, tshirts that are too short, pants that are WAAAY too low and too tight. But...I agree...it's always hard to change things that have been in place for many years.

Your boss is probably just tired of looking at big butts poured into overstretched spandex and polyester.

• Try adopting a "business casual" environment. In a call center, employees may not make enough to afford professional attire and you said it yourself, they have no contact with the public. Business casual can mean a nice pair of jeans (no rips or cutoffs, etc) with a nice shirt or sweater. Khakis or casual pants and sundresses for women also work. I would say no to shorts and t-shirts and tight clothes or attire that shows too much skin. Maybe even interject a "fun day" on say a friday where there is a theme to the attire within your guidlines.

Will you get some groans, yes. But Marc said it best that those who have a vested interest in the company and their job, won't care what they have to wear to work, they will just work.
  • I generally agree with the posts from other forumites. You referenced stealing. It is a problem? If so, will a dress code fix it? I generally support dress codes and especially like the idea of shirts with logos and khakis if the work place will allow it. Basically, there's a time and a place for everything; the work place is generally not the time or place for some things. Some constraints are healthy. Put some parameters in place. If ultra casual is desired, free up an occasional day as a special dress day, maybe with a theme. The point is to identify some limitations and attempt to exercise some level of control, within reason and without discriminating. The result may be improved coworker interrelations, and a reduction in repect issues.

However, if respect issues are the issue, maybe they should be addressed as well.
  • Just curious.... has this current very-very casual "dress code" been around for a long period of time? Was there a specific incident that has caused the boss to want a more "dressy" dress code. We find it harder and harder to maintain a "Business Professional Dress Code" in our Bank. Espcially for our female employees. For our male employees it is much easier, dress shirt with tie, jacket or suit preferred but not required, with dress slacks...however more and more docker style slackes are being worn. It seems that every season the "acceptable" dress clothing styles for our ladies just keeps getting more and more casual. Of course I may just be getting older and older, thank goodness. But HR is usually the dress code police.
    Good luck with your dress code,
    Dutch2
  • Sparky, this can be done. We had a similar issue a while back and everyone tells the truth here - it is hard to tame the wild ones. But lead gently and they will follow. Last year we amended our dress code such that "business casual" is acceptable and without mentioning any articles of clothing that are forbidden, we have encouraged our employees to wear clothes that are "appropriate for the workplace". Our employees are still allowed to wear jeans and even t-shirts, as long as they are neat and clean. It only takes a few employees to get the change started and the others will eventually follow along. Just don't expect it to happen overnight or you and your boss will be very disappointed.
  • "Business Casual"? Jeans and T-Shirts??
  • For our crew, that IS business casual - it's not shorts! When it's 95 degrees outside, they would rather wear shorts.
  • Thanks! It's been a few weeks now and by having the managers "kick it up a notch, I see the others following suit".

p.s. My boss was in town last Thursday and Friday and the good news is that she noted the improvement!!!

• Thanks for letting us know how it went Sparky! x:)