Allowed to Demand SS Cards?

2»

Comments

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-17-04 AT 10:39AM (CST)[/font][br][br]NJJEL: You must have missed my previous post on this issue. The social security card has been compromised and can no longer be trusted as a required document. The requirement is, we must require a ligetimate SSN, name spelling, birthdate, and gender. The social security card could be one of those documents; however, the best document is a company prepared memo drawn up as a template with blank spaces for the above four items and with a short sentence indicating who called SSA and verified the above information. Put spaces in your written statement so that the person verifying can fill in their name signature and the date the action was completed.

Hopefully, SSA will have the on-line program on board this year. The program allows for a single or a multiple group of up to 50 names SSN to verify at once. A single name takes about 10 seconds to verify and it will provide you with a written document of the verification. Both my assistant and myself are on-line. Until this on-line capability is provided you should start producing a telephone call verification sheet to document your efforts and validation of the NAME SPELLING, SSN, GENDER, AND BIRTHDATE.

Getting away from demanding the social security card is easy and recommended. A good SSC is easier, I admit but the card may not contain a reliable "fact" on which you and your company are basing all kinds of personnel action.

PORK
  • Will this new program allow for verification of how the name is actually listed in SSA's files? For example, if a name is hypenated or not? That is one of the reasons we have required SSC's, if available. We hire a lot of immigrants whose culture lists their names in a "different" order than is traditional in the US. By seeing the actual card I have been able to determine how I need to list them in my payroll records. One of the challenges we have had with the phone verification is that they don't seem willing to tell you if names are hypenated or multiple names listed as last names, all of which is needed for W-2's. We actually had two HR employees call with the same name, but giving it in different order and BOTH were approved.
  • WINDJAM: Key to the verification process is the number and the proper sequence, which is tied to the last, first name. For payroll purposes you can ask for the SSC or a SSA print out of the new employees personal identification. My critical point is "DO NOT FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP I DID, THE SS CARD IS COMPROMIZED AND MAY NOT BE WORTH THE PAPER IT IS PRINTED UPON"! Accept the card when printed, but then verify the name and spelling arrangements with additional documents; make copy of all documents presented.

PORK
  • Yes, I would like a copy of your form.

Thanks.
  • Please respond with your email and I'll send you a copy. Thanks!
  • I would like a copy.
    [email]ellenp@omahahomeforboys.org[/email]

Thanks!
  • Bgreene,
    I would appreciate a copy of your form. My email address is [email]vengland@austintrust.com[/email]
    Thank you very much!! Valerie
  • Yes, for payroll purpose not for I-9 purpose. Being in payroll you should want the social security card, so that when you send in your W-2's to the Social Security Administration the employee name and social security numbers match and your file will not get kicked back.