SUBCONSCIOUS PROFANITY?

It's a new one on me. Anybody have any knowledge of this behavioral trait? We just hired a college student to work several hours daily with our PC and related equipment problems. Great troubleshooter, straight-A student, glowing recommendations, clean cut, straight as an arrow. Today, while troubleshooting a printer problem in the office of the HR Assistant, he let go with a string of profanity that would match any you've ever heard, and it kept on going. He left and returned and did it again. She confronted him and read him the riot act. He had already attended orientation including sexual harassment and inappropriate conduct. I went upstairs to the computer room and gave him my 'Dad's Talk'. He apologized and said he had tried for two years to stop it. He says it's unplanned and largely uncontrollable but he will do his best. I told him he would or he'd be gone. I asked if he had ever discussed the phenomenon with a medical professional since he says he can't see it coming and doesn't even realize he's doing it. He said he had talked to a psychiatrist once about it but the guy didn't say much about it and dismissed it. When he was training last week, he told the IT trainer that he didn't want to read a brief manual because of ADHD. What am I dealing with here? Is this symptomatic of ADHD?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-04 AT 03:42PM (CST)[/font][br][br]This kind of outburst occurs with Tourettes syndrome, don't know about ADHD, suppose it could.

Tourettes is a neurological disorder and if he had it, he would not be able to control the outbursts, but I believe I recall there are some medications that can be helpful. Twitching is another common symptom.
  • Ditto to what Sonny said. I've worked with children with Tourettes before and I've also worked with children (and adults) with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). The later generally doesn't include verbal outbursts, more like repetitive behaviors (like not stepping on cracks on the sidewalk) but I suppose it could. Odd situation at best, Don. I don't envy you. BUT kudos to your HR Assistant for laying down the law either way - good for her.
  • The impulsivity and anger flare-up can be symptomatic of ADHD. My son has ADHD and is bipolar, and when he was younger he would really fly hot and swear. Tourettes sounds possible, although I think that the tendency to uncontrollably swear is constant. I hope this guy gets help. If he is undiagnosed and is struggling with a disorder, I feel for him.
  • Tourettes and ADHD often are diagnosed together. My SO's son has both. The Hollywood version of tourettes wherein sufferers let loose with curse words at random is actually very rare. This doesound like it though.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-04 AT 03:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I was thinking Tourette's also. I've never heard of ADHD being cause of outbursts like that, and I know a lot of people with ADHD. They just tend to get impatient and angry easily.

He should also still be held accountable to reading all the material that is given to him. Having ADHD shouldn't allow him to not "want" to read something.

Good luck, Don.
  • even if it is Tourette's or another neurological disorder, you can still expect appropriate behavior in the workplace. someone who continually disrupts the workplace will not be a "qualified individual with a disability" under the ADA.
    Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • We have an employee who is so dyslexic she can't read anything. We have someone read to her when its necessary. For example, she had to take a test to be certified as a food handler and we had to provide someone to read her the questions on the test. No big deal. I tried not to emberass her.

If the manual is brief, have someone read it for him.

As for the cussing, sounds like tourettes syndrome as others have mentioned. I had an EE once who had a brain injury from an accident with a horse. Every once in awhile he would ask to hold your hand and maybe say he loved you. Men, women, didnt matter. He warned me about it ahead of time. At first I thought he was pulling my leg but he wasn't. Its wasnt really something he could control.

He worked in our dishroom and the thought of him just standing there holding some burly dude's hand like they were on a first date was almost kind of cute.
  • While it is possible that there is some type of medical condition associated with this guy's behavior, there is another equally plausible explanation. From what you've said, Don, he's a young fellow, either in college, or newly minted from college. This type of verbal behavior is frequently the norm for young men, particularly in their interaction with each other. If he is new to the professional work world, it does just slip out and he is not doing it to be offensive, that's how he interacts with his peer group. To be candid, I quickly realized that the way my friends and I communicated with each other in school was not appropriate in the work place. I knew that it wasn't appropriate, but there were times that I slipped into "casual mode" unintentionally. If he is serious about his professional growth, the Dad speech should be enough...it will make him feel a little ashamed of how he is percieved in this new environment.
  • Don, having dealt with children with ADHD, I know that the profanity and other inappropriate behavior often result from the frustration of not being able to focus or concentrate on a task. While you or I may become frustrated and let loose with a curse or two under our breath, we can eventually redirect ourselves but some with ADHD can not and the frustration builds until it explodes into the scenario you described.
  • I have a daughter with ADD & OCD. Medication has helped tremendously. She used to curse a lot (especially amongst her friends)but with help has learned to control it. I am confused however by not wanting to read a brief manual from a college student. How does he read the textbooks or his classroom notes? I know my daughter (who is a college student who works part-time) gets help when needed and also takes medication to help her concentrate. Furthermore, like every other type of doctor, there are good therapists and mediocre therapists. Particularly after my daughter went away to college, it took a while to find someone she was comfortable with.
  • I've been educated by your responses, to say the least. The young man is currently a Community College Sophomore. Following my meeting with him yesterday afternoon, just before he left the building he called me and said, "I just wanted to let you know that you don't have anything to worry about. I called my mom and she said she and my dad are going to help me with this. I really need this job and you don't have to worry, we're gonna work on this." That makes me think there is something going on in his physical/mental makeup, especially since his mom is agreeing to help him work on it. I continued with the Dad lecture, telling him that he's young, this is his first exposure to a business environment and wherever he goes in life, in any work setting, that sort of behavior will not be tolerated and he will not be retained. As the attorney indicated in his post, above, if this is a disability, and he cannot control the inappropriate language, he is not a qualified individual (with a disability), and therefore has no ADA protection. But, that wasn't so much my concern. I wanted to understand what I'm dealing with here, and thank you all for your input. I'm determined to make it work. He could just as easily have been my own son. x:-)
  • Good for you for trying to help the kid out. There are lots of places that would have shown him the door after the first outburst, and squandered a potentially valuable employee. As mentioned, the Hollywood version of Tourettes would have you believe that everyone afflicted with the syndrome walks around all day long saying the most outrageous things at the most inopportune moments. In actuality, verbal outbursts are extremely rare. He sounds like a decent your man, but what concerns me is his assertion that he "can't" control the outbursts. I would tend to disagree. What I've noticed far too often when dealing with folks with temper problems, regardless of the source of the anger, is that "I can't" really means "I won't." I think you hit exactly the right note by offering him the "Dad" approach while setting firm limits on his behavior, and the promise of consequences for crossing that line.
  • The way he seems to be receiving your input and the promises to take care of the problem should be encouraging. He is either a great kid who wants to overcome this or a smooth talker who knows what to say when he needs to.
  • Crout, most people who have full blown Tourettes CANNOT control outbursts, ticks, twitching, etc. That's why it is a disorder that has a name. If they could control it, they wouldn't have a problem. The degree to how WELL they can control it depends on their make up - how "bad" they have it, medication, therapy, etc. x:-)
  • Yes, I agree. What I was suggesting was that it doesn't sound like this young man has a neurological disorder so much as he may have a little temper and needs to lean to control his mouth.....grow up in other words.
  • The "hollywood" version of tourettes, though rare, does exist so it should'nt be ruled out. I hope the young man see's a good psychiatrist and neurologist, both needed for treating tourettes. There are medications that can help but it is a process with alot of remixing, changing meds etc.My SO's son has the tic version of tourettes and he visits the doctor frequently.