Too much information

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-04 AT 03:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Last night, I made a standard call back to a person inquiring about openings. Typically it's a five minute phone conversation that encompasses, we have/don't have any openings and send your resume to...

Last night was anything but standard, and being the nice person I am, the call ended up being 25 minutes long. I'm wondering what if anything my fellow forumites would have done, or suggestions on what you have done in the past to get a "talker" off the phone. It started out with the person talking about their MS condition, progressed into their life history, their age (53) their separation from the last company (was terminated) which happened after they were out with pneumonia the last two weeks. To how this type of job and company fit the background they have with their "condition" they can't walk as well or write too good.

Several times during the conversation, I made references to having to go now, but they kept on talking. I almost felt like I was being "tested" since they mentioned a medical condition, an age, a disability and a termination.

What would you have done?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am originally from NY, I would have said I am sorry, but I have a meeting, must leave to pick up child etc. and cut them off by reiterating where to send the resume.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • You say, "I'm sorry I have to go. My grandmother just dropped acid and hijacked a school bus full of penguins, so it's a bad time."

Seriously - similar things have happened to me before and I know what it is like. I usually just try to be firm and polite with the "I have to go" part. Sometimes it helps if you say their name, "Bob, I need to get off the phone now but thank you for your call". I have even pretended to be getting another call / have someone at my desk, etc. because some people just won't stop talking. Whether it is a true blue person who is looking for a job and is just trying to make it in this world with what they have or just someone who wants to talk to me about their Aunt Sally, this can be rough.

I would answer their question about jobs they can perform by saying that if there is an open position at the company anyone may apply for it and that the company evaluates candidates on their experience and education as well as knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job WITH OR WITHOUT reasonable accommodation.

In the companies I have worked for in the past, there have been job descriptions available for open positions at the front lobby, sometimes on the company's website as well. That way any applicant can read the requirements and decide for themselves what they want to apply for, what they think they can/can't do, etc. Although that doesn't always stop those kinds of calls, it helps if applicants can view that info for themselves.

• I've actually had this happen before. My trick (works with people you know who you don't want to talk to, as well) is to briefly hit the flash key on the phone, say "Excuse me. I have another call coming in." Then disconnect. Hopefully they don't have caller ID so they can call you back or you wisely blocked your number when you called.

You really call people who inquire and tell them about openings or the lack thereof? You're braver than I am, HS. x;-)
  • It could be that this person really wanted to talk with someone, but you just can't tell with people these days. It would only be a problem if you based your hiring decision based on any of this information.

I would definitely recommend cutting them off at the pass, and let them know that I am not the person to speak with in regards to employment decisions.(If that is the case).

• Your post brought back memories of many such calls. Depending on how much time I have, I will generally listen. If they are rambling, I use the time to check e-mail or post on the HR HERO forum. Just remember to type quietly...

I do note their name though in case they end up applying. To me, someone who would take up so much of my time is probably going to do the exact same thing on the job. They have poor boundaries and a lack of discretion.

On the other hand, by showing an interest in the person you are doing good PR for your company. Every person who calls me is a potential customer so I don't feel the liberty to be rude.

One young lady talked to me for 45 minutes. She was at a real decision point in her life and just needed someone to listen. It was actually quite interesting. I tried to offer her some advice. I think she just needed someone to listen. Just another day in HR...
  • Good point Paul - everyone who calls IS a potential customer. x:-)

That's from a Washingtonian who works in Oregon to an Oregonian who works in Oregon! x:o
  • I think I would have done the same thing HS - I would have listened. Going forward though, in an effort to help manage my time - especially now when one ad leads to over 100 responses (and this is for a $9 hour job) - I state on the ad - in addition to the apply in person, mail/fax info is no phone calls please and I have the receptionist screen calls. Anyone who does call in, automatically gets transferred to my voicemail box & then I'm free to check my voicemails at 'scheduled stops' in my workday. It streamlines it for me. Fortunately, my voicemail box only allows for 3 minute voicemails - so at least it's not 25 minutes x:-). One thing you may want to try, if you don't have it already, is setting up a job line (just an additional voicemail box at work). This way, if you list a number to call in the ad - they are going to an automated source to gather info - and you can check at your own convenience. Just my thoughts.
  • I know how you feel about "being tested". I once had an interview with a woman who wanted to talk about everything BUT the job. Her 4 kids, one who is in the military that other who was having a baby, her husband, how she hadn't worked in a while b/c she thought it was more important to spend time with her children. And now that she was over 50 and the last kid just left for college she wanted to get back into the job scene.

What can you do but just sit there and smile and try desparately to change the subject... with no success. Me: "How do you feel your professional experiences have prepared you for this job." Her: Well not so much my professional experiences, but my time spent with my children... blah, blah, blah.

I know it is scary sometimes when you get people like that on the phone or in an interview b/c all you can think about is lawsuit, law suit, law suit!! But as long as you don't participate in the topic of conversation and do your best to keep the conversation focused on the job, you should feel confident that you handled it well.

Thanks for calling the people back. It inspires me to try harder when responding to applicants.
  • We did what mwild suggested except our job line voice box doesn't have the option to leave a message. I change the message every Friday and it has really saved me a lot of time because now, people can check what we have open and how they need to apply (go to the restaurants, e-mail a resume to our employment e-mail address, etc.).

Johnette
    [link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|"I'm in the weeds!" E-mail me if you are in the restaurant industry too!]
  • Thank-you everyone for your response. I did use the time wisely to go through resumes I was screening for another position. It was just frustrating to say the least when each time I said, "Thank-you, I look forward to seeing your resume," would result in another topic of discussion, like the sporting event they attended and how it may lead them back into another field of interest (broadcasting). Several times in the conversation I mentioned that we didn't have anything open in customer service, but that I would consider their resume based upon the skills and abilities they had. I was careful to not address the "issues" they brought up.

I do think of every call that comes in, or I make, as a potential employee, or customer as Paul said, so I find it very hard to be rude. You just never know when or where you may meet that person or someone they know and how it may help you in the future.

I told my husband, who was waiting for me since the call took me past my normal quitting time, that next time "I won't be so nice". He just looked at me with that knowing smile as if to say, "sure you will". His advice, "I would have just hung up on them."

8-| Oh, the perils of being a nice guy (or gal as the case may be)

• One thing I do and instruct our supervisors to do may be useful. If someone gets off track in an interview (could be used on phone as well) especially if they volunteer "protected" information, I go on record and say something like "We only use job related criteria to make our employment decisions, so let's talk about...." It can help and in a worst case lawsuit scenario at least my attorney can bring out what I said.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-12-04 AT 11:52AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I dropped in on this thread frequently because I was interested in how this conversation would evolve.

I am one of the people who ordinarily will allow the other party in my conversations to speak as long as they feel a need. I sometimes consider it a weakness because I already work long hours and when I get to the end of one of those days, I can get pretty hard on myself for allowing these conversations to take advantage of my time. Thus I was interested in how other HR folks viewed these situations. In the end, I don't think I will amend my style with these folks very much, but I will continue to protect my time when I must. Doesn't sound like I learned much on this one does it?x:-/
  • >I sometimes consider
    >it a weakness because I already work long hours
    >and when I get to the end of one of those days,
    >I can get pretty hard on myself for allowing
    >these conversations to take advantage of my
    >time. Thus I was interested in how other HR
    >folks viewed these situations. In the end, I
    >don't think I will amend my style with these
    >folks very much, but I will continue to protect
    >my time when I must. Doesn't sound like I
    >learned much on this one does it?x:-/

Marc, I'm with you on this one. I berated myself the whole trek home for letting it turn into a lengthy conversation. Then finally realized that I was courteous and listened to someone who maybe needed to talk to a friendly person. I was hoping to find a nice way of cutting off a talker, but I guess there isn't one.

Darn, my husband was right after all! Does this mean I have to tell him so?