Anyone in Health Care?

I am looking at accepting a position in Health Care. Any HR professionals in Health Care want to give me some advice about laws that relate just to Health Care?

Thanks
Craig

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Laws and other things: Is your new position in Louisiana? Healthcare is a broad industry and includes quite a variety of environments. Look to state statutes. We're in Florida, and there is a regulatory agency that oversees business licenses (personal and corporate) and other related issues. Hot lines for client/visitor complaints to state-level agencies abound. Attorneys advertise regularly on TV that your loved one is probably not being cared for properly. Healthcare professionals are licensed/certified. Non professionals may be very unprofessional. Consequently, there will be a wide audience (many education/comprehension levels) for things like open enrollment, orientation, training, etc. Food service tends to have high turnover. Every aspect of employment from hire through termination is open to special audit for things like criminal background verifications, employee training, abusive behaviors, work quality, treatment of clients, on and on and on. OSHA gives the healthcare industry a lot of scrutiny as well--bloodborne and other pathogens, soft tissue injuries, chemical exposures, biohazards. Also, remember such things as onsite storage and dispensory of prescription level medications, storage of client personal belongings, coordination of family visits, staffing for 24/7 work schedules with special events on holidays in an industry where part-time workers may prevail. It is rewarding, but it can be trying. My personal experience has been that healthcare professionals get tunnel vision and forget that there are non health care aspects to an organization. (No offense intended. I hope there are some out there somewhere that are different.) I think it comes from their attention to so much scrutiny and the requirement that patients/clients be treated with such special care. The healthcare folks tend to forget that HR is also ruled by state and federal level regulation.

Good luck!
  • I used to work in HR in the healthcare field. One of the specific things you will want to be aware of are licensing issues. These will be key if you ever get audited by DOL.
  • Thanks for the information and yes the position is in the great state of Louisiana.
  • Hi Craig,

I am new to the forum, and have been an HR generalist in a mid-size, not-for-profit community hospital in North Carolina for 18 years. Health care is a great place to be, as it is a growing industry and extremely demanding. Current challenges include recruitment and retention of staff, managing sky-rocketing compensation in certain professional fields due to supply/demand, labor relations issues that range from entry level service employees to employed physicians, and Joint Commission accreditation that increasingly involves the HR Department. If you accept the position and it is in a hospital setting, you will need to establish excellent working relationships with the CEO and the VPs of Nursing and the ancillary departments. You will also need to work well with all department managers--there are about 40 of them in our hospital. My position is also responsible for security, and it is not unusual for hospital HR Directors to have payroll, education, employee health, and/or volunteers under their management.

Good luck with your decision. If you accept the position in health care, please let me know if I can be of any help to you.
  • Still:

I have been in healthcare for almost 3 years now and it is a continual learning process. Everything everyone has already said is absolutely true...but I don't think I've worked in a more rewarding environment...or with such caring, passionate (if somewhat co-dependent) :)
    people.

I wish you lots of luck...and stamina.

js
  • Hey Craig: I am currently Director of Human Resources in a large cardiology practice (27 docs). I have previously worked in two hospital environments. Tstevens was exactly correct in what you will be facing in healthcare. Another thing I have faced is the fact that the higher in demand a position is, the bigger the egos and demands of those individuals involved. Those who can name their own price tend to try to hold the organization "hostage" to their demands, thus skyrocketing recruitment and compensation costs.
    This can cause a constant "tug of war" between the clinical and non-clinical (less in demand) employees.

If LA is subject to JCAHO (Joint Commission of Accreditation), there are very stringent guidelines that you have to meet in order to stay in compliance. This is like an "audit" every three years and every time the requirements are different.

Licensure is also a very big factor. Make sure you don't have anyone in your facility who is a licensed individual that doesn't have an up to date license.

One other thing....bad weather and disasters....you will be expected to be at work regardless of how you have to get there. Healthcare is never "closed". As long as there are patients to take care of and procedures to perform and employee to take care of....officers of the organization are expected to be at work.

Healthcare can be very rewarding, challenging and demanding. If you are looking for all these things, you are on the right track. If you are looking for a 40 hour week, chances are you won't find it in healthcare.

Good luck!

• lots of laws and regulations to watch for and alot of it depends on how many hats they have you wearing. I have been in health care for 10 plus years and have always had security, receptionist, safety etc. Good luck and welcome to the club.
  • Craig, I am in Louisiana and have opened six inpatient rehabilitation hospitals here. I'm not sure what you want to know but feel free to email me and I'll be happy to share everything that I know. [email]sohappytobe@yahoo.com[/email]
  • I'm also in health care & agree with what's been previously written - in addition to regular HR regs & laws, you have various accreditations & all the standards that go with that - especially policies & procedures, & credentials of staff.

In the past, I've worked in laboratories. Now I work in mental health & we're going through CARF accreditation. I'm responsible for the CARF accreditation process, which presents quite a challenge since I'm not a clinical person. Its a huge responsibility in addition to HR. In addition to accreditation issues, there's the ever-present medicaid issues (if you bill medicaid.)

I like the health care field - but its just like any other HR job...you not only need to know HR, but you need to know your industry as well. So start your research - the laws/accrditations depend on what segment of health care you're in.

Kathi
  • Once again great information. I am going to be working for a Speciality Surgical Center with about 110 employees. The company is only 8 months old and the previous HR Director was fired for performance so I have a big challenge ahead of me.

If anyone else would like to include their e-mail address so we can create our own little Health Care information center that would be great.

Thank again
    Craig
  • Hey Craig. My email is [email]scallender@scheart.com[/email]

Feel free to contact me if you need help with anything.

Rockie
  • Kathi, Having been responsible for CARF, JCAHO and ODMH audits for more years than I care to admit I would suggest that as a non clincial person you get the clinical folks involved to assist and do their part. I largely coordinated this stuff.. I did stuff in my area of expertise, but we had teams who worked on the whole deal. I would divvy up sections to the appropriate folks etc. As you note it is a process and should be an educational one at that. Everyone needs to buy in and be trained. Nothing will tick a surveyor off quicker than a lot of wet ink and blank stares when they ask the rank and file about a policy or procedure. Sorry for butting in here.. just experienced serious flashbacks x:-8 It is a big respondsibilty. Good luck! A cold beer never tasted as good as the night the surveyor left!