Fast answers-I will be indebted to you!

I have had 3 complaints from the community that one of our employees are using drugs. I am calling the ee in today to talk with her about this. (note-we have in our policy that we can conduct random drug testing if we have suspicion of the use of drugs/alcohol) Her supervisor has not seen anything suspicious other than at times she falls asleep (she works 2 jobs). I am going to start off by explaining about the community complaints and then what? Should I ask her if she is on prescription drugs, or just take the lead from her and see what she says. Maybe just ask her how she feels about this? HELP HELP!!! Thank you.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure what you mean by the "community" and the connection to your company. Anyhow, I would start off describing the complaints and ask her if they are true. If ahe denies them, then I would explain your drug/alcohol policy and random testing. Our drug policy has a clause stating that if the employee admits to a problem BEFORE testing, they are given one chance for rehab.

If you have a similar policy, you could include that in your conversation with her. Otherwise, off to the drug testing center and let the chips fall where they may.
  • What is this "community" and what role do they play in your relationship with your employees? I guess I don't understand.

If your policy permits reasonable suspicion drug testing and your supervisors have been trained what to look for in terms of behaviors that would lead you to believe a person is impaired, you're ok. My concern is that the individual's supervisor has noticed nothing unusual in the employee's behavior aside from fatigue - which could be explained by the fact the ee works two jobs. Pretty skimpy evidence on which to hang a reasonable suspicion test (in my opinion).

Now, back to this community. How do they fit in and, if you do value their input, is anyone willing to come forward with eyewitness observations of the employee using drugs? I'd feel a little better about this situation if that were the case.
  • Our facility is a Human Services agency. We have had 3 complaints that she is using drugs. The last complaint was anonymous, the first 2 were from different parents. The last person threatened to go to the newspaper (which this doesn't bother me as much, but I at least want to have a statement that I can say to the newspaper) (of course without giving any info!) Our policy states that we can use investigative methods, so that would cover us with drug testing, but I am not comfortable at this point requiring a drug test. I think it would set a precedent that anyone calling in complaining about any ee on drugs would have to go get a drug test. It's a sticky situation. Thanks for your advice, I am meeting with the ee in about a half hour.
  • I'd share with her that three complaints have come in, and reiterate the policy. You should have her supervisor in the meeting as well. Please remember to document the meeting. The next time she falls asleep go ahead and send her in for a test.
  • Does a "community complaint" constitute reasonable suspicion? What if it were an ex-boyfriend just trying to cause problems for her at work?

If you have reason to beleive the community complaints have merit, go forward with testing, if not - follow your normal guidelines. It might be reasonable to sit down with her first and ask about the issue and bring up the community complaints.

Something about this situation does not sit right with me. If the information is true, you have been warned and would be remiss not to act, but if it is not, you may react in a way that will forever alienate this EE and who knows how many others.

I share the concern of the other respondents about the community complaint. Before I acted, I would want to know a bit more about its origin. You said three complaints. The same person complaining or different people?

Tell us more please.
  • If you are a Human Services agency and a department of the state or "community" and your complaints have come from people who they or family members receive your services (which this ee provides) I would get a test done to clear the ee or to handle the problem. By waiting until next time or avoiding the issue you put your entire program at risk -- if the allegation is true what happens when one of your clients gets hurt???

• Have a talk wih this employee about the parents complaints. Note everything that is said.

1. Do you have a policy about employees moonlighting ? If so, apply your policy.

2. Certainly, if an employee is falling asleep on the job - you can have someone take him/her home !

3. If the problem still is not explained after considering the above factors ,then you should apply your random testing based on the two parent's complaints, per your policy.

Throw the anonymous complaint where it belongs -in the ash can.

Chari

• No newspaper is foolish to do anything with such a report. There are still such things as libel and slander. You need not prepare yourself to give a comment to the paper. That won't happen.

I would not react to these reports by sending her for a random. Train your staff (including yourself) to recognize the signs and symptoms of drug and alcohol abuse and use that to handle a random, if one is appropriate.

Otherwise, you call her in, confront her, she says, "This is crazy!" and you sit there dumbfounded looking wishing you had not called her in.
  • I'm assuming I'm too late to offer any help - but how did it turn out?
  • I know you are probably already meeting with the EE, but I am very, very concerned about the merit of the complaints and whether they really support a reasonable suspicion test.

I've actually been involved in a situation that was a group of ex-boyfriend's friends causing trouble. It got really ugly, really fast.

If the "community" are credible, I would want written statements of concern and then go from there. If the "community" is not willing to stand behind their claims, then I would seriously question the credibility. I would, however, protect the confidentiality of the community members--however, if this ever ended up in a hearing or court, then that might not be possible.

Good Luck--this can be a mess, no matter how you handle it.
  • An update:
    I called the ee in, explained the complaints and she said that they were untrue. She volunteered to take a drug test for us.
    I agree with Don about the newspaper, I told the same thing to our Executive Director. She felt that we still needed to do an investigation, which I think we fulfilled our obligation by talking with the employee. We are going to give her the drug test, partly to protect our corporation and partly to protect her. I was surpised, she didn't get mad or anything. She was very cooperative and understanding. Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate the fact that I can get on here at a moment's notice and get advice!
  • Glad it ended so well.....or has it? Here's something to think about tonite when you can't sleep. The employee responded so positively to your chat with her. In fact she even volunteered to go for the drug screen. She was delighted to prove herself innocent. She went for the test and aced it. Then she misses sleep for three nights, her husband and relatives are extremely upset about this issue. She has an upset stomach for the rest of the week and even misses a couple of days work. Depression? Anger? Resentment? Ridicule? Shame? Embarassment? Then line 2 is holding for you. It's her attorney. I wonder what your Executive Director will think is appropriate now.
  • One point, this ee was not sent for a RANDOM drug screen. Nothing random about it.