Applications versus resumes

I attended a Human Resource Management seminar last spring where they advised having everyone who is interested in employment, whether solicited or not, complete an application. The reasoning was that you get more information on an application and you have dated proof of when it was completed. Our current practice is to only accept resumes when we have a position available, and we only have individuals we are thinking of hiring fill out applications.

I'd like to know what others are doing. We are a small company (less than 100 associates) in Ohio.
Thanks.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We're fairly large (about 1100 employees over five entities) and we require everyone fill out an application. We need a live signature acknowledging our requirements (pre-employment drug tests, background checks, etc.) and a live signature on a release to check with former employers. Resumes don't do that.
  • We have 200 employees and require an application be filled out as well for the same reasons.
  • I am employed by a national construction company that employs between 5,000 - 7,000 in 20+ states, with our Corporate office being in CA. For our construction craft positions, we require applications for every applicant. For the recruiting I do at the Corporate Office, which is for administrative management and staff only, I require only candidates with whom I conduct an interview to complete an application. This is primarily because I receive many resumes from candidates out of the immediate area and it would simply be a nuisance to forward each and every one of them an application, whether they are qualified or not. Additionally, at every location, we require the applicant to complete the application "onsite."

Although I think for administrative positions a resume tells you a lot about a candidate "between the lines" that an application may not tell you, (i.e. attention to detail, spelling ability, writing ability), and since the applicant is required to sign it, the "good" application is the legal document you can use to verify prior employment and education, as well as describe your conditions of employment. I've actually been able to eliminate potential candidates based on the fact that either they outright lied on their application, or they stretched the truth a bit. That certainly tells you something about their character (or lack of).
  • We accept resumes - from the mail only, but anyone that comes in to drop one off must fill out an application as well. Also, anyone that goes forward for an interview, must complete an application (mainly so we have a sig. on the disclaimers).
  • A resume is an "information gathering" document and an application is a legal document which, by the applicant's signature, grants you the right to check references, etc. and also alleges that what is contained in the application is true.

We will accept resumes/applications for open positions and only require an application on final candidates.

Unsolicited resumes are not retained.
  • Our process is like yours, Rockie. We are a huge company and can not possibly retain every unsolicited resume.
  • Thanks to everyone for your input. Have a great day!
  • We require every applicant to fill out and sign an application, even if they have a resume.
  • It would be harder to terminate someone for falsifying information on a resume vs an application. With an application you should have a signature that the individual attest that the information is true.
  • We always require any application, regardless of the position.
  • One other comment on falsifying information: In one seminar I attended, they said that the application is a company document and lying on the company document carries more weight than lying on your resume which is the individual's document. In my eyes, lying on either is pretty darn bad when you want to introduce yourself and present yourself well. I think they clarified their statement by saying when the company has the application with the signature, you normally will have a statement that says falsifying information is grounds for immediate termination, and that will back you up better than the resume.
  • I think the operative word is 'applicant'. The company defines 'applicant'. Applicants are those who a company allows to express an interest in a position the company has. I agree with what you do as stated in your original post at the top. The person in the seminar who suggested anyone breathing should complete an application, in my estimation, is leading you astray in a bad way. Resumes are, as Rockie said, snapshots of people that allow us to gather information about them. Applications should be completed by those whom we have enough interest in to move it to the next level, perhaps that of an interview.

Some companies will allow people to complete applications all day long 365/24. Those of you who want the additional burden of being required to maintain those applications as required by law and track them and have them available for government inspection, should do what the siminar speaker suggested.

The rest of us will only allow an application to be completed when there is an announced position, a current recruitment window and an application period ongoing. And the application is completed by those whom the company either intends to interview or hire, is my suggestion.
  • AMEN, brother Don! My sentiments exactly as I described in my previous message!
  • Once again, Don's years of experience come through in his expert advice (my humble opinion).

When we advertise a position, we receive resumes via e-mail, FAX, snail mail, or drop-ins. Most don't have the posted qualifications for the job. Those that do, get the opportunity to complete our application and be interviewed.

• Not so fast Don and hrbanker. If you are governed by the office of OFCCP you may need more info that what a resume can supply. In short, depending on your process you may need to have all "applicants" to fill out an application, unless you have a separate EEO form for resumes too?
  • Don, I wish I could agree with your statement "the company defines applicant." But, we had an OFCCP review here last year and the OFCCP Compliance Officer conducting the review asked me the following "trick" question: "What do you do with unsolicited resumes?" I told him we "pitch them." He told me that was the right answer; adding if I keep resumes on file, I have to consider them "applicants" for hiring purposes.

I totally agree with your last paragraph.
  • My first comment is to LV: Our corporation is a multi billion dollar government contractor governed by the requirements of Executive Order 11246. That is precisely why I included the following in my response to the question.

"The rest of us will only allow an application to be completed when there is an announced position, a current recruitment window and an application period ongoing."

If you follow OFCCP regulations, that quoted sentence will cover the times you are required to take applications.

You must keep resumes received in response to those announcements as well, but you are not required to call in for interview all those who send or drop off resumes.

Jaded: It is true that the employer defines applicant. In so doing, the employer excludes from the applicant pool those who send unsolicited resumes by trashing them. In that respect, they do not become applicants and no consideration of the resume need be granted nor tracking done. If you do keep resumes on hand, rather than trashing them upon receipt, you have chosen to redefine and expand your applicant pool under the Executive Order.

Hope this clarifies my position. Thanks. x:-)
  • Don,
    I understand what you are saying and we don't keep unsolicited resumes either.

We recently advertised for two social work positions and received a slew of resumes of which only a fraction were contacted. How should I track the statistics for the resumes we didn't interview? Write in Unknown?
    Tks, Barbara
  • Barbara, I keep an applicant log with name and address and position and reason not interviewed or hired. As far as tracking "minority status", an OFCCP Compliance Officer suggested we send out postcards to all the "unknown" applicants (those resumes we received during application process but did not interview). The postcards would have EEO survey on them and state that the information would be used for tracking purposes only. I record the date the postcard was mailed and whether or not the person responded. Lots of work! If your company does not fall under OFCCP regulations, you may not have to go to such lengths. I also use the word "unknown" when I have no way of ascertaining the information.
  • BLW and Jaded: We only track those who are interviewed, not the scads/tons of people who send resumes in. If they are called in for an interview based on our review of their resume, they are posted to our tracking mechanism with their demographics. We just went through an OFCCP audit three months ago and our process received good marks. I would never get into that postcard scenario. Although we are required to retain the resumes received that resulted from our position announcements and open recruitment period, we do not consider them applicants until they meet our definition of applicant, which means they have a company application completed and were interviewed. If resumes come in when there are no announced/recruited positions, those are not circulated, kept or stashed. They are trashed.
  • Don:
    It sounds like you had a "reasonable" Compliance Officer (C.O.). I have gone through several reviews throughout my 15 years with this company. Most of the time, the C.O. is reasonable. However, in the last review, the C.O. took over 6 months to complete his review. He was the one who made a big deal out of using the postcards.

My earlier post was to make sure people understand that resumes can be considered applications in the eyes of the OFCCP.

The issue is more complex when we post job openings (as is required by OFCCP) with Employment Security offices and minority sources. Those agencies keep track of the number of people they refer to you.

When I post job openings with these agencies, I give them a lengthy job description and list qualifications required for the position. This allows me to "narrow the field." I only interview the qualified applicants and of course I have a time line I use to limit the number of responses. However, I do log the resumes as applicants and note the referral source and why they were not interviewed.

By the way, this same C.O. could not find fault with our 16-point file but he did think we had discriminated in our pay rates. He wanted backwages for three minority employees. We fought this (without an attorney) and prevailed in the end but not without hours and hours of my time and tons and tons of paper documentation to prove our point.

The bottom line is this: An OFCCP Review Officer can be an HR person's worst nightmare!

• So do you compare the demographics of the resumes received during the announcment period to the applications that are handed out for those who will be interviewed to look for disparate impact issues?
  • I look at whether or not they meet the qualifications for the job. If they do not meet the qualifications they are disqualified.period.
  • I have just completed a Compliance Review by the DOL. It took nearly 2 years to finally get this baby put to bed. It seems that because I complete the annula EEO1 report every year, that is required by law, this put us in the box for a "random" selection for a compliance review. Just last week I finally received the best late Christmas present ever when the letter arrived from the DOL stating: "the submission was judged to be acceptable in meeting the reporting requirements." I had to provide a list of every applicantion and resume that we received for all of 2002 and the first half of 2003. Each id'ed by name, race, gender, and EEOC code for the job which they applied and of course a total for each area. We had many that we did not know the race and even a few that we could not ID the gender by the name. We also had to provide the same for everyone we hired, terminated and promoted for the same time period. I did not have to show why we hired this applicant over another; however, I was required to do this for all promotions within our company, listing everyone that applied for every open position and then indicate why we selected X over all the others. We are not a large company, we are a community bank with six branches around 125 employees, so we had no computer program to access and get all this data handed to us. It took hands on going through every applicantion and resume we had for that time period and talking with Supervisors about why "Sally" was promoted to each positon and Tom, Dick, Harry and Jane were not. Enough complaining... it is finally over!!!
    I REALLY hope that none of you every have the opportunity to go through one of these.
    Dutch2
  • We are also a community bank. How do you define applicant. I get MANY resumes and as you said, do not know any of the information needed to track them. Some people tell me that they only track the applicants who are called in (for an interview) and actually complete a company application. Also, most resumes I receive are not for any particular position we have available. How do you decide what to track and what to trash?
  • As to the question of "Do you compare the demographics of resumes?". We don't know the demographics of resumes. So it would be quite a task to compare them.
  • That's my exact point. You may have opened your company up to a violation of Title VII if someone were to file a complaint against your process. If someone were to question your process of only giving applications to those you deem appropriate for an interview maybe viewed as discriminatory.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-31-04 AT 01:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Let me break this to you gently. Executive order 11246 does not require that every person sending or bringing in a resume be interviewed. Nor does title VII. Nor does any other regulation.

Your suggestion that this process is discriminatory is correct. However, it is not illegally discriminatory. Employers discriminate every day. Part of my job is discriminating between the resumes of those who meet the qualifications and those who do not. I don't waste the time of those who do not. They go in 'Stack B'.