Underage drinking at co. party

We are having our annual employee party this weekend and I'm concerned about a possible problem...

I have an employee (only 1) who is under 21 years old. We are having our party at a local banquet hall with an attached bar that is open to the public. We offer free soda all night and provide each employee (over the age of 21) with two tickets for free drinks. The employee who is under 21 has quite a history of partying and I'm wondering what my responsibilities are if this employee obtains alcoholic drinks at the party.

I'm planning on not giving him the free drink tickets but since we are also having a cash bar as well as the attached public bar that this isn't going to stop him from drinking. Do I have any responsibility of making sure there isn't anyone under age drinking at the party or is it solely the responsibility of the establishment?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Its up to the bartender. Serving alcohol to a minor is against the law as is providing to a minor.

However, I can't see the harm in telling the bartender "We have one under age employee, and thats him- right there in the blue shirt"
  • Rad great idea...................
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Yes, great idea, Rad! xclap

And if you haven't already, someone should specifically tell the underage employee that he's not allowed to drink at the party.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-04 AT 08:51AM (CST)[/font][br][br]At our company parties, we card at the door and give disposable Tyvek bracelets to people 21 and over (of course we place them on their wrists). We then tell the bartenders to only serve alcohol to those with bracelets. We got ours at a local party supply place for something like $.10 each but I know you can get them much cheaper on the internet. Do an internet search for "paper wristbands" or something similar. Even though it should be up to the bartender, it doesn't hurt to go the extra mile to protect your company by proving that you did something to prevent underage drinking should something happen with him.

Johnette
    [link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|"I'm in the weeds!" E-mail me if you are in the restaurant industry too!]
  • LINDA S:
    I recommend you check with your insurance company as to your responsibilities and liabilities. At the encouragement of our insurance company, we have banded all comsumption of alcohol and drugs at any company sponsored function. The risk far out weighs the social pleasure that one ee or company might get from having a party where consumption of any illegal or legal substance which might impair the ee's physical abilities at any company sponsored event.

Our Christmas parties for the last five years was incendent free and a safe one for all. Our insurance carrier explained that anyone at the party regardless of age who was allowed to consum an illegal or legal substance and had a wreck while traveling away from the gathering would subject our company to "how big is the biggest pocket" and the company could be found liable for any damages done by a departing ee under the influence of anything allowed to be consumed, whether you approved or disapproved, "the company could be liable" and found responsible for the ee's actions. The value is small for the risk that is so very large!!!

GO DRY AND EAT MORE PORK!

PORK
  • Agree with Pork. We have banned alcohol at Company sponsored parties for several years. Not just the liability issues, but it also counters the image we want to convey to the public and is in direct conflict with some of the crisis services we offer the community. People can do it on their own, but not on our commpany's nickel. That said, pointing out the underage to the bartender is a step as are the bracelets, however, other EEs will probably do the buying. If the underage wants to drink, they probably will find a way. But at least you will have taken reasonable steps to cover your rear.
  • I agree with Pork and Marc that non-alcoholic events are the most sensible move. However, I also know that is an unrealistic assumption of mine. 'Just don't do it' is the Nike approach and the one I recommend. Your underage drinker will find a way to drink, if he wants to, no matter what measures you put in place. Why risk it? A dead teenager is roughly equivalent to a dead 30 year old in terms of company liability when the company provided the booze. The only difference is the newspaper publicity.
  • If a company chooses to sponsor events where alcohol is served, it is the company's responsibility if something happens, not the facility or the bartender. You can try pointing out the underaged drinker, but as the others have said, this person will find a way to drink if they wish to.

We have gone round and round at our company events and only serve alcohol at our "Winter Party" which is an "after holiday, holiday party". We only serve beer and wine...not liquor...but as we know, you can get just as drunk on this as hard liquor.

We do put measures into place such as calling cabs for those who need one and having the hotel set aside a block of rooms for people to stay in if they want to stay and party without having to drive. Even with all this....our company would still be liable if there was an incident.

• Don't forget your liability in the areas of misconduct including sexual harrassment, etc. which commonly happens when people drink - regardless of their age.
  • Rockie - thanks for your reply regarding our liability and, after talking with a relative who is in the restaurant/banquet industry, found out that we do have a significant measure of liability to ensure we do not allow underage drinking at the party. While I agree with those who believe that non-alcoholic parties are the best way to go, I don't see that happening here.

In any event, I spoke with the individual yesterday and informed him that he won't be getting any drink tickets and will not be permitted to have any alcoholic drinks in his possession at the party. He stated that he understood but I have my doubts. I will be sure to point him out to the bartender and upper management personnel have been made aware of the situation as well. Looks like I will be doing some "babysitting" on Saturday!!!
  • LINDAS: MAKE SURE YOU ADD THE BABY SITTING FEE TO YOUR INCOME; If successful, you will save the company about $175.00 per hour frOM the beginning to the report to work time on Monday. This is based on the probable attorney fee cost per hour, when after the fact, one realizes that your youngster GOT DRUNK IN SPITE OF YOUR EFFORTS; he got into a fight with one of the other employees and the younger lost the "fist fight" and now he has revenge on his mental map of "what to do next", he therefore, finds a thought of "just kill the sucker TO DEFEND HIS PRIDE AND EGO" and comes back to work next week and "blows someone and possible others away". Happened before, it will happen again TO THOSE COMPANIES THAT PRESIST IN ALLOWING THE CONSUMPTION OF LEGAL AND ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE FOR PERSONAL SOCIAL GAIN or LOSS OF THEIR ABILITIES TO SOCIALIZE WITH THEIR LIKNESS WITHOUT THE USE OF SOCIAL ALTERING DRUGS REGARDLESS OF THEIR LEGAL OR ILLEGAL STATUS!

We look forward to your posting next Monday that nothing happened and you earned 48 hours at $175.00 for your baby sitting chores!

PORK