Breaks

I recently have been having problems with ee not taking breaks or taking too long of breaks. Mgmt has decided to assign the breaks/lunch period so that all get one and it's not abused. One employee decided to call the Labor Board and was promptly told that this was not illegal. This employee disrupted the entire office that morning not to mention the time she wasted. Should I let this go or confront the employee? (I was told about the call by another employee) This particular employee seems to complain about anything that doesn't fit her. Thanks

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Marianna; while I too might be inclined to pop off at this employee, I must remember that any employee has the right to call an enforcement agency to ask questions about practices they think are illegal or wrong. If she got in my face about it, I might just tell her, with a bit of a smile, "I would have been glad to clear that up for you and saved you the call".
  • How did she disrupt the office? I would totally ignore the phone call she made. But, if her behaviour was the reason for the disruption, her manager/supervisor should sit her down and explain to her how one conducts themselves in an office environment.

I would also add that future outbursts would lead to disciplinary action. If this "child" requires it, go into detail regarding the discipline. Oh, make a note to her file and tell her what you are going to do.
  • I agree I would not address this associates actions in an a disciplinary way. I would thank her for taking the time to check it out and let her know that you are available if anytime in the future she has any questions. Remember the information she received only confirmed your decision.

I would also say that if she is an associate that continuely creates disruption by complaining then she probably is unhappy in her job and probably doesn't perform at a consistently high level. Evaluate her (and others) skills sets with their job assignments. It could be something as simple as under assigned or over assigned. If she is skilled and capable of performing the job, she could just need some positive attention and reinforcement. I have, in the past, utlized these types of employees in advisory panels and on training teams. By making them a part of the decision team or solution they become supporters of change rather than detractors.

Of course, if she is not performing to expectations or continues to be a distractor it must be addressed documented and the sooner the better.

Best of luck
  • Thanks for your input, I appreciate it