Union Decertification Do's & Dont's

We understand the rules for employers when confronted with a union organizing election. We're happily now facing just the opposite: Union employees at one of our worksites intend to ask for a de-certification election. Are the things management may say and do essentially the same in de-certification situations as they are in organizing elections? Does anyone have tips for us?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you have a decertification in the works, the first thing you should say is 'hello' when you call your labor attorney. He/she will have a ton of advice for the company that could save your bacon. Don't rely on a posting site for this kind of critical advice.
  • Absolutely! You may think you are in a good situation but it is a very hot, hot position to be in. Get thee to thy solicitor, NOW.
  • We just went through a de-certification last September. My boss is extremely well versed on the subject. Give me your e-mail address and I can hook the two of you up.
  • Decertification elections are very similar to representational elections concerning what an employer can say and do. The added problem is that you have an obligation to bargain with the Union during the time of the election campaign. Further, it is in the Union's interest to file ulp charges against the employer in order to block the election in order to give the union more time to campaign. It is, therefore, important that you obtain good legal advice on how to lawfully struture your response.

Good luck.
    Vance Miller
    Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
    Armstrong Teasdale LLP
    (314) 621-5070
    [email]vmiller@armstrongteasdale.com[/email]