Backgorund Checks

During the hiring process, I ran a background check on a potential employee and a red flag came up. When the applicant gave written permission to run the background check they noted that this red flag would show up, although when I got the report back the red flag was worse than the applicant had described. If we hire the applicant what can I tell them about their backgorund check?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >During the hiring process, I ran a background
    >check on a potential employee and a red flag
    >came up. When the applicant gave written
    >permission to run the background check they
    >noted that this red flag would show up, although
    >when I got the report back the red flag was
    >worse than the applicant had described. If we
    >hire the applicant what can I tell them about
    >their backgorund check?

If the red flag is not "red" enough to keep you from hiring this applicant then I don't see a need for you to discuss it with them at all.

• I do not know the provisions in your state concerning background requirements. However, in the state of California you are required to give them a copy of any information your receive so they have the opportunity refute the information and get any inaccurate items taken off.

The other states we are in do not require you to show the background to the individual.

If the "red flag" makes you nervous call the person in and speak with them. If it is not something major then forget about it and move on.
  • You only have to provide the copy if you DON'T hire them because of what's on the check, I believe.