What would you do?

Well, I've exhausted my own brain cells over this dilemma so I thought I'd pick on the brain cells of my fellow Forumaniacs. This is a sticky one and I'm trying to turn it into a win/win instead of a win/lose before it gets even uglier than it is. Bear with me here.

A long-term (nearly 7 years) employee with no previous record of disciplinary action explodes and uses profanity toward a guest who is apparently antagonizing her. Not the brightest thing to do in front of the General Manager and Assistant Manager. So we have witnesses to the outburst. Blatant violation of our policy on customer relations (to say the least). She owns up to the profanity and the outburst and acknowledges it was wrong. She then tells me that this guest has been antagonizing her for at least three years (he's a regular business traveler) and she's always just sucked it up and moved on. First I've heard of any of this. The general manager and assistant manager are aware of bad blood between these two individuals and corroborate that they do not seem to be able to get along. If what she says is true, it violates our customer relations policy and our 3rd party harassment policy. Guest makes no secret of the fact that he would like to see this employee terminated and complains to the GM, and the DO.

GM asks me what he should do. I suggest, in light of the employee's long-term service and lack of any previous disciplinary action, a five-day suspension without pay and a caution that any further incidents will result in termination. I also suggest that the GM have a chat with the guest and, if the guest admits to any of the antagonistic conduct, to get him to cease or discontinue staying at our property.

This was all yesterday afternoon. Went home feeling I had fought the good fight and had a win/win on my hands.

Phone call comes in this morning from the GM of the property. He tells me he has been up all night thinking about this situation and while he feels that our suggested approach minimizes the risks and liability for the company he doesn't feel the action is strong enough and he wanted to terminate the employee for her outburst. Since he feels we have foreclosed that option, he is tendering his resignation effective immediately!

x:-o WHAT??

After picking myself up off the floor I asked him to please not act hastily, we can talk about this. He says his mind is made up. I dispatch the Director Ops (the GM's boss) to the property to try to smooth things over. (This GM is an exceptional manager and we would hate to lose him). Neither the Dir Ops or myself are totally closed to the idea of terminating the employee who made the outburst, we just want to make sure we have our ducks in a row and our wagons in a circle.

Fast forward to half an hour ago. Dir Ops is on the road headed to the property. Employee is on suspension for three days effective today. Trying to exercise as much damage control as I can from here. Fax comes in from the suspended employee - 6 pages of allegations of harassment and unreasonable, verbal abuse visited on this employee going back a couple of years by the guest who wants her fired. Now we got a whole new ball game.

Why in the sam hill did I ever get into HR??? Thanks for letting me vent, folks. Any light at the end of this tunnel you can point out to me? And please tell me the light isn't an oncoming train!

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Beagle~
    WOW! Is there a State / Federal law with a
    statute of limitations on how far back such allegations can go ? Does company Policy have a requirement for immediate reporting of harrassment? Employee says she just sucked it in for two years , said nothing about fear of losing job as reason for not coming forth sooner.

Retaliation lawsuit is very real possibilty since she told the company verbally about the harassment after her outburst, but before the suspension . Bring her back to the job immediately today , pay her for the day missed - that is cheaper than a lawsuit.

Keep us posted.

Chari

• I don't think so. I don't want to mitigate the suspension. Her behavior was inappropriate and unprofessional and would not be tolerated by any employee regardless of the circumstances. As I mentioned, if not for her record of service with us, she probably would have been terminated. But you're right. There are potential issues with regard to retaliation and 3rd party harassment. My goal is to try to salvage a long-term employee and a very effective GM.

• If you do not follow through with your original disciplinary action - which I agree is appropriate - then you are basically allowing this GM to hold you and the company hostage. Regardless of how good he is, I would let him leave if your DO cannot reason with him. Why in the world would this GM give up his job over a decision such as this? I really am curious because it does make me wonder about his decision making abilities.

Elizabeth
  • I agree, it does seem very odd. Hopefully I'll know more about his mindset after the DO has a chance to try and talk him down. I'll keep you posted.
  • First I would let the GM resign. If you give in to nonsense like that he will co-opt the HR function as he sees fit. It's better to let him go now than create a monster. Second, your original plan with the EE was sound. A strong, professional response, but coupled with support for her position. Third, you got into HR because you're good at it. It's a calling as much as a profession. Fourth, and I think this will fall on deaf ears, but a vodka martini couldn't hurt. Grey Goose.
  • Well, here goes….

1. Your suggestion to the GM about how the ee’s profane outburst should be handled was on target. Nevertheless, it was a suggestion that the GM didn’t have to take, and the fact that he decided to quit over it strikes me as a little nutty. He might have been great up to this point, but I don’t see where he was coming from in his thinking that an isolated incident of an ee cussing out a customer was a big risk for the company. Southwest Airlines, as we all know, is thought to be one of the greatest companies to work for, and they have a policy of informing customers who abuse their ees that they don’t want their business anymore. I’m not saying that they condone their ees cussing out customers; just that not every successful business believes that the customer, no matter how obnoxious, is always right.

2. The ee’s account of this customer’s harassment and verbal abuse may be quite truthful, but she’s also probably trying to save her job. Did she indicate whether any of the harassing conduct or comments were based on gender, race, etc.? If not, then the customer’s behavior may help explain her outburst, but it probably doesn’t give her any position from which to take legal action against your company.

I would stick to what you suggested in the first place, let the chips fall where they may with the GM and the guest, and – if you don’t already -- provide training to ees on when they need to let management know about the abusive conduct of guests.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Man is tonight going to be Miller Time or what?!
    My thoughts, are I don't see how you could have handled it much differently. The GM is being unreasonable, my take.
    Discipline should be on a case by case basis. I would be comfortable with either way, suspension or termination. Talk to the guest though. Make sure you do not let the guest make the decision or believe they can make the decision. Is this a good employee? Sounds like it. Do you want to lose a good employee who has a one time blow up? And she did not lie, owned up to it. TO me that goes a long way. Now to sound heartless. How often does this guest stay at the hotel? How much would you miss the business. If it is a day or two a month, can this employee's schedule be juggled around when he is there? If so, a last chance agreement might be appropriate. It shows to all the other employees that you value what they do for you and one screw up does not get you canned. Conversely, some screw ups should get you canned first time.
    If you had been aware of the harassment you could have addressed it. Other than being an ahole, has the guest "harassed" your employee or is he just rude and a jerk?
    Sounds like you may be going out to this fine location to follow up and continue damage control. You may need to have a sit down with the employee and discuss the issues. Myself I favor suspended pending investigation as oppossed to suspending them outright. No time limits more flexible, give you time to work it through more. Though I thought you handled it pretty good till the GM over reacted.
    PS You got into HR becuase of the challenges.
    No the light is not a train, just a semi moving at high speed.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • You may not have thought about this possibility; but, it appears to me that the GM may have up and quit due to something the suspended employee threatened him with. He may well have quit when she told him, "I can't believe I'm being suspended! You've known for over two years that this guy has been propositioning me and calling me from his room and grabbing me. Well, mister, now the whole company is going to know it!" It doesn't seem logical that he would quit otherwise, unless he told you he was against any suspension and might resign in protest if you took that approach.

Your original post did not include anything that I would classify as harassment. The two didn't get along and he 'antagonized' her. That's not necessarily Illegal harassment by any stretch. So, for that reason, I would let her serve out the suspension.

I would send her a certified letter stating the company's policy on harassment and restating your diligent approach to dealing with it. And also advising her of her responsibility to report such incidents immediately.

Invite her to discuss the entire situation with you immediately but tell her she is still on suspension at this time.

Now, if it turns out the GM and/or others in management knew or should have known of behavior that might rise to a level of illegal harassment, then the thing will take it's own direction, a direction which, at this time, you have no control over. I would not try to buy her off by returning her and paying her for time suspended.

If your investigation reveals that company management was aware of that behavior and she HAD complained or tried to, you will probably remove the suspension from her record and pay her back wages. A reasonable person jury may well conclude that her outburst was warranted under those conditions, regardless of what your policy is.
  • I agree with Don; something's amiss and perhaps it's what the GM isn't telling you - his awareness of ongoing harassment that he didn't document, or could it be that he had some role in the harassment himself ( even to the smallest of extent)??

I would be very curious as to the DO's take on this, after his conversation with the GM.

But Don's suggestion of sending the employee a certified letter on your harassment policy and procedure is an excellent one. Why not send one to the GM too?

Let us know how it goes...

Good luck.
  • My thoughts EXACTLY Don D. I think there is more to this story - for the GM to quit over this is toooo convenient. I think he is trying to get out of the line of fire for some reason to be determined.
  • I think I am missing something. What exactly is this ees job. You state the general manager and assistant manager knew that the ee and the guest should not be together. Why, therefore, did she have anything to do with this guest? Did the managers know that there was a harassment issue involved? What ticked off this ee that she blew it? I have feeling this mess is about to get messier.
  • As far as your decision regarding the employee, I think it's right on target. I wouldn't have terminated the person based on your description above. As for the guest, I would have a talk with the guest and inform them that your employees are to be treated with respect and if they can't do that, their business isn't welcome. As for the GM, if he decides that he wants to resign, let him. I get the feeling there is more to his decision than meets the eye but there is no way I would have one employee holding a company hostage over another employee.
  • Okay, here's the latest update. Something just doesn't pass the smell test with this situation and I am anxiously waiting to see what happens next.

Our DO arrived at the property to find the GM waiting for him, had his desk cleaned out ready to turn over keys, codes, etc. The GM would not even discuss staying on, even if we terminated the suspended EE! Just left the property!

I wonder if it's too late to get into brain surgery school. I'm still young.

Keep you all posted. Thanks for the excellent feedback. I feel better now. You guys are the best.
  • How much cash on hand do you keep and have you balanced the books lately?
  • cash drawer and books are reconciled at every shift change and then a complete audit is done if a manager leaves (this is going on right now). So far no surprises.
  • In your original post you mentioned that the GM was aware of the bad blood between the ee and the guest. He could be aware that if it was an illegal harrassment situation and he did nothing he could be liable.

x0:) He's conscience stricken and is resigning to atone for his sins.

x}> There's more history than he and the ee are sharing between them and he's resigning before he gets fired.

Just speculating......

• I agree with Lisa. There is definatly some "wierd" stuff between the GM and the ee!!

My thoughts are you did the right thing from the jump start. Interesting!!
  • Sounds to me like he's trying to figure out who you value more, although thats not even the issue. For him to stoop to giving you an ultimatum like that, let him go. I see nothing wrong with how you handled the situation.
  • At this point I would put all of my worries on the EE, especially if it is one you don't want to loose..b/c apparently the GM has more under his hat than he is willing to share! so let him go..but if it is found that he did know about the harassment and did nothing you have other issues to deal with the ee. I agree with you immediate actions with the employee. Regardless of what the customer said etc. she cursed and outlashed at him when she should have went straight to her supervisor. Hang in there...so far so good..keep us posted.

Just curious or maybe you already stated and I missed it...what is your writen policy (if you have one about disciplinary actions and ee's lashing out or being rude to customers?)
  • We have a policy on customer relations that specifies, in a nut shell, that customers are our lifeblood and they are to be treated like royalty. It also states that while every attempt to solve a customer's problem is to be made, employees are not expected to deal with rude, offensive or abusive behavior from a customer and if they are they are to contact their immediate supervisor; and if their immediate supervisor does not resolve the issue, they are to contact the Dir Ops or HR at home office.
  • That policy right there justifys your diciplinary actions then...GOOD for you! Good luck!
  • I would go look at his computer, internet and email usage. If it is all deleted see what your IS folks can dig up. Did the GM sign any type of non compete? This might be a convienent way of quitting to avoid the question of who is he going to work for.
    Better plan on interviewing the employee at length................ something is not right....
    look at the computer.............
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Good suggestion, DJ. I will do that when I go up there tomorrow or Friday. But it will have to wait until I decide what to do and whether you and/or Crout is correct: I can't decide between the vodka martini or Miller time. x;-)
  • I'm a johnny come lately to this thread but must admit I agree with many of the above, something is just wrong with the GMs delayed reaction. Okay, all the folks in charge at this property know about the conflict between the employee and the customer FOR YEARS. Have they done ANYTHING to alleviate the situation? Even if it wasn't harrassment, a constant customer/employee conflict needs to be resolved - if the GM and OM have witnessed it, how many other people have? I think you're lucky to have the GM gone, stick to your guns on the suspension, do what Don suggests with your harrasment policy, and upon her return sit down and find out exactly what's going on with this customer so you can define whether or not he should be allowed back on property.

PS - I remember you disparaging my Miller Lite. If I recall, it's the vodka martini or a micro brew!
  • Have 2 or three of whatever floats your boat!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Or just sit in a flowerbed, stretch your arms out straight, touch your middle fingers to your thumbs and just say "Ooooooooohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm". Do that for about 36 hours and you'll be cured.
  • Well, yes, I did do that, didn't I, Leslie? Unfortunately, no microbrews, all I've got is Coors in the fridge, so I'll have to toss back a couple of those.
  • I've been in meetings most of the day - so I haven't had time to respond - I'm amazed at your professionalism Parabeagle - you do good work. In reading through this thread, what do you suppose the relationship between the GM and the customer was? Do you think there was some kind of funny business going on there? Could that maybe explain the shift overnight - exposure of dealings between the GM and the customer if the customer didn't get what they wanted? I don't want to go all 'conspiracy theory' on you, but something big doesn't jibe - in our local economy (Oregon & Washington) walking off a job just doesn't make sense - they're not a dime a dozen & good, well paying hospitality jobs really depend on good references. There's definitely more going on & I would proceed (as I'm sure you already plan to) with a full investigation. This could be 'hospitality gate'. Good luck - I hope that Coors is at least, a bare minimum if you have to go with mass produced beers, in a bottle rather than a can. x:-)
  • Thank you for the compliment -- although I'm not quite sure being "amazed by my professionalism" is a compliment? (Sounds like you were surprised that I can be professional) x;-)

Yes, I'm sure something wicked this way comes in this little melodrama and I look forward to getting to the bottom of it. I expect I'll be going up there to check things out within a couple days, but I have tomorrow off so it'll have to wait or be handled by telephone. Nothing standing between me and a cold Coors (and, unfortunately, it's in a can). x;-)
  • Beagle,

From a risk management standpoint, I think you should poke around and find out more about this guest. If he has acted innapropriately with your staff, let him know he is not welcome back. Tell your employee the suspension stands because her actions were innappropriate but let her know you took measures to investigate the situation and deal with the offensive guest.

Ticking off the guest loses you a customer but ticking off the employee puts you at risk for legal action.

As for the GM, let him quit. My old boss always said "accept every resignation offered. then you hold the cards."

Hey, I'll be passing through Beaverton on Thursday. I'll stop at Krispy Kremes in your honor!