Background Checks

Before hiring an individual, we do some checking as far as references, past employers and if the individual will be driving over the road equipment, we will check their driving record. We may expand this checking process to include criminal history, which I have not had to get involved in before. What resources are available to perform this type of check? Would a signed consent form be required from the individual? Any guidance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Agnes
HRI

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If your application already includes a signed release for you to check their employment references, that could be expanded to include language that states you may also check the person's criminal history (it may already be worded vaguely enough).
  • We also require background checks on all of our new hires. The position they are applying dictates the degree of background check. At the time the individual applies for a position, they sign a consent form for the investigations. We do outsource this service; however, I do not know who we use. This is handled through our corporate office. We have found some falsification of records; and as a result, we have terminated some of these employees.

• Also check with your state police. We do our checks this way and it's not only cost-effective, but you know that the check you are doing is legal! Many of the companies on the web are not conducting legal searches....

We disclose on our application that this check will be done and how it can impact employment.
  • Is the check you get from the state police FRCA compliant? I was concerned that ours was not, so stopped using them. Are some of you using crim hist checks w/o jumping through FRCA hoops? If so, how? I'd love to get the info and skip all the garbage.
  • We require a signed release besides what is on the application.

A couple of good companies to check out on the web are:

[url]www.tswinc.com[/url]
    [url]www.precisehire.com[/url]

Both are quite reputable and depending on your needs they can customize the type of criminal search for your needs.
  • We have a separate form for the credit history and criminal history verifications. We use SecureHire which is an ADP product. ([url]www.avert.com[/url]).