Employee Files

I have always worked for companies with policies regarding employees' access to personnel files.
Are there any state/federal laws that mandate access of any kind?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • While many states have provisions for who gets access, what info, when, etc...... I don't believe FL has such a statute and probably permits you to deny anyone's request. Whether or not you choose to do that is your call. I believe the employee has a right to review and copy most documents in their master pers file. Some will disagree and those are probably the states that have enacted such laws.......... Your past practice is probably your best guidance for what you should do.
  • There is no federal law regarding employee access to their personnel file. Some states have such laws and some do not. Mississippi does not have one, so in our case, it is the employers' option to have a policy or not have a policy addressing employee access. Your question was about the law, not the wisdom of doing or not doing something, so I won't go there.
  • Our state does not have a law on the books either, so it is a matter of policy. If you are going to make a policy one way or the other, make sure it is consistently enforced. If you allow one to do it, you must allow others, and vice versa.
  • I just looked to see if there were any Florida laws regarding allowing employees access to their personnel files. I didn't see any. (There really are so few Florida statutes regarding HR law.)

My feeling on letting employees look at their record is that the company should do so. By not allowing this, it makes the employee have the perception that "management" is placing negative things in their file. What we do is allow for them to review their file with me (Dir. of HR) in the room with them.