smokeout

Just looking to see what other companies are doing for the great american smokeout. Are you addressing this at all, and if so, how? Some ideas are needed. Thanks!

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My invitation must have been lost in the mail.
    I'm not familiar with what this is. Is this going to be like a walk-out for smokers??
  • No, no. It's every year in November and it's a day to try to get smokers to give up cigarettes (or whatever) for one day - the theory being that if you can give it up for a day, you can give it up for the rest of your life. Many companies do a lot of things on this day to get their employees to stop lighting up. In our case, we're doing nothing - but we only have one smoker in the entire office.
  • No, its the day smokers are supposed to quit. I usually end up smoking more because everyone asks "did you quit, did you quit?" and I get stressed..(:|
  • Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not a smoker so I guess that's why I've never heard about it. I always thought the one day smokers quit was on January 1 every year. The same day that my wife and I say we're going to start working out more!

With all the anti-smoking laws that are coming into vogue I thought the smokers had finally had enough. Silly me.
  • If you have only one employee, then you could have an Intervention. Call a staff meeting where everyone can lecture the person about the health risks. That sounds like a lot of fun for the person being smoked out.
  • Uh, I don't think that would be a good idea. The one smoker is me. Thanks for sharing, though. x;-)
  • I quit smoking in 1992. I'd been smoking about a pack a day - started the usual way: 16 years old, wanted to fit in and look older. I quit when I was 23, had a bad chest cold, couldn't breathe therefore couldn't smoke, and after a few days of that nonsense, thought "I already made it three days, I can keep doing this." And here I am smoke free 11 years later. I've replaced the habit with hair twirling. I'll eventually develop a bald spot, a friend says.

Four of our eight office staff are smokers. We had a meeting just this week - one topic was about the frequency and length of "butt breaks". They've definitely cut down on the number of breaks and have avoided all going out at the same time.

To answer the question about the Smokeout: we hadn't planned on doing anything. I forgot it existed. Might be time to do something!

By the way, a friend once told me I tend to "ramble on". I realize this again every time I begin telling stories on the Forum! xI-)
  • Newsflash - we are fully aware of the health risks.

• I assume that your one smoker is interested in trying to quit, at least for that day?? Maybe 15 or so years ago, when we had many smokers, a non-smoker would "adopt" a smoker for the day. The non-smoker would provide moral support by being there for breaks and lunches, provide straws to chew on, healthy snack foods to nibble on. There was also alot of literature and videos, if the smoker wished to partake. We have only a handful of smokers these days, and no one does anything anymore.

Elizabeth
  • We are celebrating the smoke out by doing several things. Volunteer Smokers are being matched with non smoking buddies for the day. A pledge form is signed. At the start of the day the smokers will get a Survival Kit (sugar-free candy, candy bars, gum, toothpicks, rubber band, cut drinking staw and literature from the American Cancer Society). During the day smokers and their buddies will be treated to a "cold turkey" sandwich lunch. Lastly, we'll have two drawings for a $25 food gift card (1-for participating smokers, 1-for the buddies). Hope this helps.
  • I haven't participated in the great american smokeout since college. Oh, those were the days...foot loose and fancy free x;-)
  • There is no life like it. But you cannot go back, even if you return to school.
  • I'm offended by the idea of a company sponsoring some sort of theatre where people who don't smoke are teamed up with smokers, like hookers being teamed up with missionaries. What an insult! And it's offensive to me to think employers would ridicule smokers by plastering up signs and having little artsy carrots to eat instead of sucking their smokes. Why not do what I do and simply wear a little pin that says, "I quit smoking, just for the health of it", and let that be that. No intimidation. No harassment. I smoked three packs a day for 20 plus years and quit cold turkey. But I don't harass or berate those who still do. If one of them asks me for advice or assistance in quitting or how I did it, I'll freely oblige. Otherwise, it's a private thing. x:-) Sorry for getting on my soapbox. I'm usually much more reserved and shy.
  • Don D, I always appreciate your candid replies. As a smoker I don't need anyone to treat me like a pariah and tell me all the horrible health risks smoking causes, as if I have been living in a cave and unaware of the surgeon general's reports. I would much rather have someone like you, who's been there, to help if I ask for it than a non-smoker who has no idea what its like to be completely addicted and sometimes helpless, no matter how pure their intentions may be. I think about quitting all the time but I'm afraid. But when I do try again, its nice to know I'll have you to help me through it xhugs

• That's the attitude I like to see! When someone is ready to quit smoking they'll do it! You don't need to have a day called "the great american smokeout" to do it. Most people don't quit when their doctor tells them to - why would they do it on this day?

When your employer makes a big deal out of it (as we have in the past) the employees won't smoke in the office but can't wait to go to lunch and smoke up. If you do smoke on the "smokeout day" you are made to feel like a leper. I say employers should leave it up to the smokers and find something better to do.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-03 AT 09:19AM (CST)[/font][p]Sorry, but I must disagree with Don and others. We have a very active Wellness program and we bring awareness (often through contests and challenges) on all sorts of health issues. We did offer an incentive to anyone who went smoke free for 24 hours on the Great American Smokeout. We had a 62-year old person, who just happens to be a 37-year employee, quit cold turkey on that day, win some nice cash, and that person still is smoke-free from one year ago. This person had started smoking when they were about 12 years old and were up to smoking 3 to 4 packs a day.

Since we don't just target that day, but have health-related contests all year (currently everyone is wearing a pedometer daily and competing for most steps walked - 75% participation in a plant of 300 employees), I believe it is no big deal to have a day to target smoking.

We all have lifestyle changes to make - even if it is to learn to relax or drink more water or whatever. Since we target all subjects, I don't think the tobacco users are offended. And, participation is voluntary but pays off in nice prizes.
  • Do they wear the pedometer only while working?
  • SMace -
    No - They wear the pedometer all of their waking hours. We say that "Every step counts." We are encouraging folks to set a goal and increase the number of steps they take each day. (Yes, I know this could be counterproductive at work - we don't want or need wasted motion - but it gets people aware of how much they already walk in a normal work day and then hopefully adding to that.)

Since I have primarily a "sit-down" office job, I have to get my steps elsewhere. But I log almost 5 miles walked on Saturdays just from normal stuff like housework and outside work on our farm.
  • Re: the pedometer idea... I'm picturing less ethical employees strapping the pedometer on a child who is on the track team at school or something. Jog-jog-jog, little Billy! I'll split the $100 bonus with ya. (80/20, of course...)

I am normally a positive person, really! Just suspicious I guess. Didn't want to rain on your parade - it's a creative idea. I've just had plenty of experience with employees who fudge participation in contests so they can win something.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-03 AT 11:34AM (CST)[/font][p]I also am an ex-smoker. At my worst, I was chain-smoking up to 3 packs a day. This was many years ago and I did make several 1/2 hearted attempts to quit, all of which were doomed to failure - because the reasons I tried to quit were coming from the outside. When I finally decided to quit for all of my own reasons, and made a firm conscious decision from the inside out, I was able to do it. Smoke free now for 28 years (except the occasional cigar on the golf course). We also have a wellness program and give the ees a little something in each paycheck for being smoke free along with several other health conscience incentives. It is our experience that participation in these programs will not be sustained unless the ee has made that elusive internal committment to change what is going on in their lives. Even success stories still have that commitment in common.

That said, bombarding people with all of this great information does sink in, it's all inside waiting for the person to take control and make it happen for them.

This message brought to you by .... I am still waiting for a sponsor.
  • Marc -
    I am intrigued by your sentence stating that you "give them a little something in their paycheck" for being smoke free. Please explain.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-03 AT 05:20PM (CST)[/font][p]Oops, somehow posted this twice - see edit below.
  • Our wellness program pays ees for participating. We issued pedometers in December last year and asked the ees to set a weekly baseline for average steps. Then challenged them to exceed those weekly paces by one mile four days a week (average mile is 2000 paces). If they did, we pay them $5 per month. If they agree to participate in our BMI and weight measurement program, another $5 per month. If they are smoke free (honor system), another $5. If they meet fed guidelines for BMI, another $5, and finally if they are doing all 4, another $5. We have a spread sheet on our intranet where they enter their daily paces and give out monthly traveling trophies for most paces above baseline, most weight lost, and most inches lost. We also hand out a ribbon each month equal to the inches lost and people hang them from some part of their office/cubicle. My ribbons total 28 inches and I am not even close to the most lost. We also have a monthly drawing for wellness participants (just names in a hat) and award various health related gift certificates, etc. Finally, we recruit local wellness experts to give presentations during our monthly staff meetings to help keep people motivated.
    The program will evolve next year to allow a second option, which will recognize people (again through payroll incentives) for maintaining healthy blood pressure, low cholesterol levels, etc. A third option will reimburse 1/2 of a gym membership up to $15.

Staff can choose any one of the three options for the coming calendar year and get paid to get healthy and maintain good health. Still tinkering with the 2nd and 3rd options.

And lastly, we have a wellness committee that puts on the monthly staff lunch and offers all healthy type foods. Not anything overboard, and mostly all homemade. We stay away from pizza, chips, and various white death foods (white flour and sugar). One of our staff does a 15 minute cooking presentation, called Dining with Dale that is quite popular. Her nutrition knowledge is incredible, but she is a little over the top for most of us.

My overall budget is $300 per year per staff person.

• Marc and Miriam please report to the rear of the gymnasium. We need you to coordinate this week's effort; "A Missionary For Every Hooker - No Hooker Left Behind". We've got to show these girls what's best for them! x:-)
  • I am the appropriate person for this job since I live in Nevada where the oldest profession is legal in several counties. We will let you know how it goes.
  • Marc - I wouldn't touch that one - it's all yours x;-).
  • I am also going to be careful about the touching. I think there is a charge involved.