HR requirements

I have basically had the HR position plopped on my desk. What was once a very small business is rapidly growing and I want to be sure we are meeting all requirements. Where can I find a listing of what we should be doing (employee meetings, training, etc) along with what forms we should have filled out on every employee - that type of stuff.

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How big is your business?

Do a search, subject HR Audit, on the internet and you will find some sites with lists on HR resposibilities and information regarding compliance issues.

Best wishes in your new and challeging role.
    Stuart
  • Thanks for such a quick answer. We have around 35 employees - still small, but growing every day. I think "challenging" is going to be an understatement. It's been about 15 years since I've done any HR work, and I can't being to imagine how things have changed.
  • Reach for a parachute. Your current plight is hopeless.
  • See if your local college offers any courses in the HR field.
  • There are courses that you can take to obtain a PHR/SPHR Certification. I am enrolled in one that lasts 10 weeks, one night per week and is basically a crash course in everything pertaining to HR. You can visit SHRM online and get information from them, as well. I know that they offer lots of material in preparation for the PHR/SPHR testing and certification [url]http://www.shrm.org/[/url] Good luck!
  • I also am currently taking the same certification preparation class. I might just caution that it can be overwhelming for someone who hasn't done HR for awhile...lots of info that doesn't apply to small companies. In this class, I learned there are other courses that are more suited to beginners that covers the basics. This might be a good place to start. The local SHRM might have info on these classes.
  • >>Don said:
    >>Reach for a parachute. Your current plight is hopeless.

Haha! Leave it to Don to provide that extra cheer you need in troubled times. ;)

• Can we be REALLY sure Don was joking? I wonder, sometimes... x;-)
  • I don't know if Don was joking, but I am not. It's a sad and scary statement that a company, however small, thinks that being an HR professional does not require any particular knowledge or abilities. So rather than hiring someone with that knowledge and ability, they "plop" it on someone's desk. I don't mean this as a slight against you lindaj, because it isn't fair to you since wrong decisions made by you could be costly for your company. Sorry, but this just ticks me off. I am sure that the Forum will help you as much as is possible.

Elizabeth
  • I think that's a little harsh, Elizabeth. Many of us who have been in the field for years were "plopped" into HR in one form or another (myself included). It was only after being assigned the responsibilities that I sought out the training and eventually moved into the profession. I came from a general management background. And, frankly, not all companies can afford a full time HR pro. That's why God invented consultants.
  • Find out if there is a local SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) chapter in your area. They usually meet once a month. The meetings will be informative for you and it will be a good opportunity to meet a few people that you can call on with questions.
  • Congratulations on the position "plopped" on you. Many years ago I was in the same position - a small company that was growing faster than anyone could keep up with. (We had employees in other states we didn't even know about - it was bad!) I had some previous experience, & I drew the shortest straw. But I love it! Our company is much larger now & the HR department is well developed, yet still developing. Building an HR department from the ground up is a challenge, but very rewarding. You will begin to see the effects of your efforts throughout the organization. For your personal development, I recommend that you join your local chapter of SHRM as well as the national organization. You can get a lot of information on their web site. I agree with others that the certification exam is too much too soon, but you can't go wrong with a good textbook, like Mathis.

As for your organization, you can't do everything at once even though you'll be able to spot needs everywhere. You're going to feel like you're reactive instead of proactive - working on problems as they arise. But even in that, you're making progress. My personal belief is that you start with investing your time in the people that work for you. Review employment records & put them in order. With as few employees as you have, develop yourself a small data base (ACCESS). Is all their paperwork there? Do you offer benefits? Do you have a system for watching eligibility dates? Do you do reviews? Do you have any employees who have gone years without reviews & raises? (Very common in a small company where no one is watching.) Do they have titles and job descriptions? Look at policies and develop more as needed. Look at training & safety issues. But one word of caution - don't become a paper pusher that everyone dreads. Get out among your employees & listen & get to know them. Let them know you're there to help them succeed. On a management level, make sure you understand the business you're in. Once you get the administrative functions in order, then you can venture into the more strategic areas, which is really where the fun begins.

A small company is a wonderful place to learn to be a well-rounded, strategic HR professional. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Best of luck!
    Kathi

• I would hazard a guess that many excellent people in HR had the position "plopped" on them in the beginning.

Let's face it... on Career Day in 5th grade, how many of you said "I want to be a Human Resources Generalist"?
  • Actually, mine was Human Resources *Director*. x;-)
  • Having been the Director for 4 years now, I'm actively looking to step back into "Generalist".

Seriously.

If I get my act together in the next few days, I may post my resume here so you good folks can take some shots at it and tell me what you think.
  • I definitely have days when I would give up the title "Director" in a heartbeat. It wears you out being the go-to for everything HR, upholding the standards and stopping the buck all day every day.

Some days I'd like to just be able to say "I don't know - ask the Director". Is that what you are going through, WOCO Frank?

On the other hand, being the " go-to standard-upholder buck-stopper" gives me a lot of satisfaction and pride.

Let us know how you are doing, WOCO.
  • Great response Kathi - HR is challenging but exciting. The basic steps you are providing for Linda is excellent advice. Good luck to you Linda.
  • Welcome to the Forum, lindaj. Veteran Forumites know I hawk the book HR Quick List to HR newbies. I'll spare you the sales pitch, but here it is:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/hrquicklist.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Hot Dawg! A free book. I'll check it out later.
  • Hate to break it to you pal - it's not free.
  • But he said he would "check it out" later. Surely he meant that on his next visit to the public library, he would obtain a copy for a 2-week perusal.

;)

• Here is another thought, is there an existing job description? If not, perhaps you should ask the Plopper what they think? As you can tell by the posts above, HR can be a huge responsibility with many intricate layers of knowledge that requires a significant investment of time and energy to achieve the education necessary to effectively manage the function.

Your post seemed to read (whether intended or not), "I have a few minutes, tell me what I need to know to handle the HR function." That may be why Don's orignial post suggested a parachute.
  • Surely the book James mentioned is free. I didn't think you could hawk stuff for profit on this site.
  • They may not be, Don. I'm sure it's only a break-even proposition. ;)

• BTW - I hope James sells a million of those books. I would be hard-pressed to put a value on this website.
  • Linda,

NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK.

Before this job in HR I NEVER did anything like this. Talk about a newbie! I do have an outstanding HR Director that has let me fly. But I would say the most help I have received is my fellow HR experts in my community. I joined the SHRM organization here in town then made a point to seek out others in the manufacturing field - easier for them to relate. They have been unbelievable in their support and help.

Good Luck, this will be the best and the worst job you have ever done. All depends on the day. But looking back the good things far out way any bad.