Bill Collectors calling at work

Just wondering if any of you know if there is some kind of "law" that prohibits collection agencies calling employees at their place of work? We have an employee who must get 5 - 7 calls a day, either asking for her or her husband (who doesn't even work here.) I am going to call her in and talk to her about it, but I'm wondering if there is really anything she can do about it, besides just telling them not to call! (I know...she could maybe pay her bills, right?)
:-) Just thought I'd throw it out there to you all... Thanks!
Kymm

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We get them alot here. I do the following:

1. Take the name and # of the person calling with the "Important business matter"
    2. Log the call, tell them to NOT harrass my employee at work anymore and place co. on do not call list (If applicable)
    3. If the person calls again, I ask for their supervisor and raise Cain!
    4. Give the message to the employee via email and leave it at that. I don't like to embarrass the employee, we have all had financial problems sometime in our lives....
  • According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) debt collectors are not permitted to call places of employment, once told by the debtor that he/she may not receive calls at work.

Our policy is to advise the collector that the employee is not permitted to receive such calls at work and that calls at home would be more appropriate. We do not provide any additional contact numbers. We also keep a log of the calls (collector/name of caller and contact information) and will send a notice to the collection agency if the calls continue.

We also pass the contact information along to the employee.

This has been pretty effective for us...

• Actually, there is. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act specifically addresses this and many other areas regarding collection agencies.

Try this link: [url]http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm[/url]

To try and answer your question directly, a debt collector may not contact the individual at their place of employment if the debt collector knows or has reason to know that the employer prohibits the person from receiving such communication. You would, of course, have to put them on notice about this.

Gene
  • And after such notice, if the collector continues to call - tell the employee to file a complaint on-line/or by mail with the Federal Trade Commission.

Chari
  • WE ONLY TAKE A MESSAGE AND PASS IT ON TO THE EMPLOYEE! I highly recommend you do not get involved with discussions with callers about the purpose of their calls. It should not be your knowledge, nor anyone who is working in the HR department, that a "bill collector" is calling. If you do, you are getting way to much information from the caller. Take a message and pass it on, do not give out phone numbers or any personal information pertaining to your employee!

PORK
  • The problem with just passing it on, is that first- a lot of bill collectors right out identify themselves as such right away without our asking , and second -if bill collectors knew that we would pass along every message, they would be calling zillions of times ! We are not in the business of helping bill collectors . I have to disagree with you Pork. HAVE A NICE DAY !

Chari
  • We have a policy of not even verifying an employee works for us without written authorization from the employee. This stops all the bill collectors in their tracks as most do not have written authorization.
  • I simply say I recommend you call them at home. All personal calls are routed through me. I only put through emergency calls.
  • In my former life as a bankruptcy paralegal, I advised my clients that the only way to get a bill collector to stop calling at their place of employment is to notify them in writing that they are not permitted to contact them at work. If they continue to contact them despite this, then file a complaint.
  • In Washington State, a bill collector can only call once a day at a person's place of employment - they can't call at all after the employee sends them a written letter requesting they stop. I wish it was a situation where you (HR) don't get involved, such as Pork suggested, however, when the creditor's are calling and harassing your receptionist (calls every 15 minutes) to get a hold of the employee - you sometimes have to step in (especially if the receptionist is your subordinate x:-)). Guess how my late morning went?

Whenever this happens, I meet with the employee and inform them that the creditors are calling & could you please write to them & ask them to stop. I have a little packet of information that I provide to the employee (if they're interested) that spells out their rights & what department (at the state level) they can call for more information. The employee leave my office feeling empowered.

Check online with your state & see what type of consumer protection laws are on the books.