Employees that smoke

I have two front office emps complaining about a third one who is a smoker. Their complaint is that she comes in from her smoking break reeking of cigarettes and it makes their allergies act up. There is no other place to move any of the employees.

Any ideas on how to approach the smoker?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If the smoker is following your smoking policy, then what is the issue? I'm not a smoker, but I just can't buy the munbo-jumbo that says anything I smell that I don't care for automatically means that I have an "allergy." I've heard that kind of nonsense from employees before.
  • I agree with Crout - if the smoker is following policy - then it's a done deal. However, just as you would talk with a person who has strong BO issues, I would address the concerns in the same manner with the smoker. Instead of the counseling regarding BO, "hey, there's been some comments on your personal hygiene, I know it's embarrassing to have to discuss it, but could you please ensure that you come to work clean and well groomed?" With the smoker, rephrase it a little to say, "hey, there's been some comments regarding your personal hygiene when you return to work after your breaks...." (Or whatever variation you prefer.)
  • I also agree with Crout . . . but what about other people who come into your offices with "odors", whether it be from cigarettes or perfume/cologne or the garlic they ate for lunch, etc. Are your staff members "allergic" to dealing with them, or is it only because this person is right there with them in the office? "Febreeze" or "Neutra-Air" spray works wonders--unless, of course, they are allergic to that also! Obviously, IF there REALLY IS a hygiene issue (dirty clothes, uncleanliness, etc.)with the other employee, it needs to be addressed.
  • Work in NYC. There is a tough non-smoking law. I agree with the above.

However, one of the companies in this area felt sorry for the smoking ees (I believe the boss is a smoker)and gave them more breaks than the non-smokers.
    Needless to say, the company quickly learned this was a mistake. I am raising this because you use the term "smoking break" as versus break.
  • I have more sympathy than Crout. I don't care if the allergy comment is accurate or not - as a non-smoker, smokers stink. I like Mwild's appr0ach, treat it as any otheroffensive odor. I moved accross the room the other day because some guy sat next to me who smelled like a wet ashtray. I speak to ladies about the overuse of perfumes all the time. If it can be smelled accrsoo the room it's too powerful. Not everyone wants to smell something even if it isn't health threatening. To me, it's like the kids: why do you have to fill up every available moment of silence with some sort of sound? There's nothing wrong with silence. There's nothing wrong with neutral smell either, and if a person is causing it, can control it and it's offensive to others, then cool it!
  • Maybe we should change the subject to the "Chili Cookoff" on the other thread. Now that'll give us something to PLAN for, regarding neutral odors. I read about a guy the other day who passed gas and four people two rows behind him passed out. Now that Elizabeth Taylor, Nicole Kidmann and Carmen Electra have fragrances named for them, Otis Campbell is trying to have this one named for HIM.
  • To add to Don D's - I have a co-worker who husband passed gas and made his buddy throw-up. That's offensive.
  • Gawd! I laughed out loud at this one. I havn't experience that kind of gross-out since I left the Air Force. Now go read Don's halloween joke. For a kid who was raised on a pig farm, my wife doesn't appreciate my intolerance for some smells!
  • Lots of good advice here...but as a former smoker, I can personally attest this ee may not be aware of the offensive aroma...as we can all become immune to our own scent...be it tobacco, perfume, etc. (Ok...the etc. is not acceptable!) Sometimes just feedback that it is noticeable/offensive is enough to effect a change.

Because we are a healthcare facility, we take every opportunity to tout our Wellness Program, which includes smoking cessation. Sometimes it falls on deaf ears, sometimes not...but worth a try if you have that or EAP available to you.

Good luck!
  • People can and are allergic to smoke from cigarettes. Allergic to the scent??? Probably not -- just don't like the smell. However, if the smoker is adhering to company smoking policy, no action should be taken. Just as the non-smoker has rights (addressed by most companies by making buildings non-smoking) so do the smokers -- if they go outside to smoke on their breaks then they are within their rights.

What if they decide they don't like the smell of garlic, etc. It can go on forever if catered to.