Sexual Harassment

We have an employee who complained about a mgr.trying to kiss her,she has not told us the name and at the meeting brought her boyfriend.in 5 days we have communicated via voice mail & she says she is bringing him to a meeting, off site, with VP of HR. msg. to her, only the two of us, let us know. Still no names and she is not working this week, per our recommendation, but she is paid, outside sales rep.we cannot investigate as we do not have any facts.Any others ever had this? and how did you handle it? Thanks.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >We have an employee who complained about a mgr.trying to kiss her,she
    >has not told us the name and at the meeting brought her boyfriend.in 5
    >days we have communicated via voice mail & she says she is bringing
    >him to a meeting, off site, with VP of HR. msg. to her, only the two
    >of us, let us know. Still no names and she is not working this week,
    >per our recommendation, but she is paid, outside sales rep.we cannot
    >investigate as we do not have any facts.Any others ever had this? and
    >how did you handle it? Thanks.

As you have said, you have nothing to investigate until you have facts. I agree that the boyfriend should NOT be a part of any meeting you have. I would also warn you that if you allow this EE to continue to have paid time off without providing you viable information to begin an investigation, what will keep other EEs from making such claims without substantiated evidence, take a week or so off and then decided not to continue the complaint.
  • What was said in that first meeting that you would recommend for her to take the week off? When she was questioned, did she refuse to give any information? If so, at that point I would have told her that your hands are tied and without specific details the company is unable to deal with the allegation.

My understanding of your post is that you are trying to arrange an offsite meeting. Did this happen? If not, call her, send her an email, voice mail whatever, and instruct her to report to work on a specified date. If she fails to return, deal with it per your company policy.

• I agree with Ritaanz here. Let her know that there is nothing you can do until she reveals more information and let her know that her boyfriend should not be present at any time. Has eveyone lost their minds, since when do people think bring a significant other to a work related meeting is okay. I have a funny feeling that this one wants to prove to her boyfriend that she didn't cheat on him by filing an "official" complaint in front of him.
  • She met last week with our CEO as I was out.He suggested she take this week to collect herself.He did not know the boyfriend was going to be there.We are doing a letter that she has to report to work on Monday at 8 AM and if she does not, we will consider her abandoning her job.I feel that she is not strong enough to meet with me and tell the same 'story' without the boyfriend being there. I have no doubt that this is an effort to get money! I will keep you all informed and thanks for the comments and encouragement
  • I would not recommend that you threaten her job, particularly if you think she is out for money.

Advise her to come into your office to discuss this matter. No boyfriend is allowed in the meeting. This is a confidential personnel matter that does not involve him. I would lay my cards out and state that I am more than willing to investigate this matter, but I do have to have certain facts such as the name of the person who reportedly harassed her. There is absolutely nothing you can do if she refuses to divulge this name. Make sure you document this conversation thoroughly and get her to sign the documentation form if she will (she probably won't).

I don't see what else you can do without more facts.
  • Without facts it is going to be impossible for you to begin the investigation. Take charge and be agressive on this. You CAN demand that the ee comply with the investigation process and that includes divulging names, etc in a timely fashion.

I would not, under any circumstance, allow the boyfriend to be a part of the proceedings. This is an internal matter that will surely turn into a debacle by allowing outside/uninterested parties to become involved.

Call the sales rep in to a meeting immediately and lay the cards on the table. The short of it is that if she wants you to pursue an investigation, then you need the facts laid out before you. I would not agree to meetings outside of work on her own terms.

Good luck! Let us know how this develops.

Gene
  • The latest update-left message for her to return to work Friday by 4 PM or we will consider it job abandonment. Thanks for the comments
  • How the heck can you fire her when the CEO gave her the week off? Good luck in court. You're gonna need it.
  • I agree with Crout - it would be a big mistake to terminate if the CEO gave her the week off. You could discipline her for not complying with your company's harassment policy IF your policy states that employees must cooperate with investigations. If it doesn't, then all you could do is document that you asked for the information, she wouldn't give it and you told her you could not investigate without it. Then if she continues to not come to work next week, you could terminate for that. I would try my best to speak to her and ask why she isn't coming to work.