Problem Employee

This is a long post but I need to give background for understanding of the problem. I have an EE who has worked for us for 3 years. She began as receptionist and moved to a secretarial postion about 6 months ago. She has an extremely bad attitude and her personnel file is full of documentation about this. She refuses to ask questions when she doesn't know how to do something and then I have to speak with her about not doing her job properly. She immediately goes on the defensive and nothing is ever her fault. She went so far as to tell me I must be the most unhappiest person she's ever known because I didn't have anything better to do than to pick at her. Thinking that it might actually be a personality conflict between the two of us, I moved her into a vacant secretarial position. Her supervising attorney says her work product is good but he doesn't keep her busy and the secretary she shares an office with (who works extremly hard) complained about her not restocking supplies, talking on the phone constantly, and never offering to help other secretaries. This complaint happened over a month ago and the problem employee is still not speaking to the other secretary, thus causing a lot of tension. She is also going around telling other staff members that it's the other secretary's fault....of course she would say that. I was ready to terminate her late last year but didn't after finding out that she had just filed bankruptcy...didn't want any discrimination backlash. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • With all that documentation it should be no problem to term for disruption of the workplace.
  • If you fire her, which seems inevitable, she's likely to complain to the EEOC, etc. So make sure you have current documentation showing you recently warned her about the problem and gave her a chance to correct it. Maybe do a last-chance agreement explaining that her job duties include shelving supplies, helping other secretaries and not spreading malicious gossip.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • gee, my only comment is "i guess the bankruptcy wasn't her fault either"!. give her a final warning about performance and attitude, give her a time frame to make these corrections, and if no improvement follow through!
    good luck!
  • OFFADMIN: It reads like there is a total lack in leadership and taking responsibility/accountability for the professional working habits of this one ee. Since your company has not taken action to communicate, "what is expected", and then following through in a timely matter, I would start with a "come to me" conference. Clearly lay out in writing that her cureent professional conduct is unacceptable and describe the conduct in very specific examples that are recorded and reported. Issue then your or her bosses' "letter of Instruction" which clearily lays out her responsibilities and accountabilities with time lines for correction of the "specific behaviors" that are seen and heard that destroys the visibility of a professional administrative assistant, be it a receptionist, secretary, or legal clerk. Give the time lines or sun set for correction of the bad behaviors, and the end results, if the sun sets and the behaviors have not been corrected to represent the life of a professional XXX employee.

Allow the ee to read and respond if she accepts the challenge or quits. There is no time nor room for discussion of the points of instruction in the letter. She will either rise to the level of a caring, helping, trusting, and professional secretary or she can choose to resign or stay and rise to the expected level of performance.

Be prepared to go either way, but in no uncertain terms loose control of the conference with a witnessing party.

Good Luck!

PORK
  • This may sound a bit harsh, but it is not intended to be personal.

It sounds like you have done something that many supervisors do, move the problem ee to someone else rather than deal with the issues. With all the verbal coaching and all the documentation in the file, you stopped short of the next logical series of steps that would have led to either finally correcting the problem, or termination. As is often the case, avoiding the issue(s) has merely delayed the necessary steps. If you are wondering what the correct thing to be done is, it is often the hardest thing to do.

Good luck.
  • Do I understand this correctly? You have an employee that was a receptionist and 6 months ago moved to a secretarial position? In my world that would have been an obvious promotion. With a file filled with documentation about her bad attitude, why would one promote her? I think it is really stretching it for you to presume that there was a personality conflict. You had to speak to her about poor performance and only you would be able to determine if you were "picking on her". What did this attorney do to deserve such a "lemon" for a secretary?

As others have written, with all the documentation you already have, it is time to sit down with her, discuss her peformance issues (not attitude), and inform her that one more problem or difficulty will result in immediate termination.
  • First off welcome to the forum!!! 5 post, not a virgin, but definitely a rookie. As you have seen we are pretty direct with our input on issues, that is a good thing take none of it personally.

I do have an observation as to why you would move someone from receptionist to secretary if they had a bad attitude, less contact with customers.

Now for your problem. You really have had the previous posters lay it out. Document the current issues that have been brought forth by her new boss and the other secretary. Sit her down, last chance agreement outlining the unacceptable behavior, what changes must occur and make it clear that her employment will be terminated if it does not happen. I think PORK, said it, do not let her take over the meeting. Have a witness. When she starts to go off cut her off, let her know this is not open for discussion, you are very comfortable with the facts and have seen it first hand.

Have a glass of wine, or go for a bike ride at the end of the day after having this less then fun meeting. It won't be that bad, the termination meeting in 30 days, or less will be much worse. x:D

My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • While I agree with much of the advice given on this issue I differ in that I believe you have adequate reason to sent this ee to work for someone else. If you've truely had serious talks with her about her performance, (and documented said talks), in the past then cut her loose. It sounds like you've given her several opportunities to succeed even going so far as to moving her to a new area and she just doesn't want to conform or work to your expectations. At some point you need to say this relationship is not working out and we wish you well in your next endeavor.

Good luck...