Suspend exempt without pay?

One of our exempt managers called about two hours after he was supposed to be in and said his alarm didn't go off. Now, two hours after the phone call, he's still not here. His Boss wants to suspend him without pay for a day. I told him just to discipline and document but he wants more. Are there any issues around suspending an exempt ee without pay for one day?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Will the suspension be unpaid? Did the Supervisor work during that week? If so, then a one day suspension could jeopardize his exempt status. Disciplinary suspensions for exempt people should be for at least one week.
  • He worked on Sunday which is the start of our pay week. Yes the boss wants it unpaid. How would it jeopordize his exempt status?
  • The rationale is that a truly exempt employee gets the job done regardless of the number of hours worked. To dock pay based on hours (e.g., 8 hours' pay for one day) jeopardizes the exempt status and puts the employee in the same category as nonexempt employees who must track their hours, and who can be docked for hours not worked. There are exceptions to the rule that permit docking exempt employees' pay, but no exemption exists for the scenario you describe.
  • If an exempt employee works any part of a workweek, they cannot be docked for any reason other than a major safety infraction. They are paid a salary for the job they do and not per day, or per hour. If you choose to treat them this way by docking their pay by the day or the hour, you have chosen to make them a non-exempt employee (in the eyes of the law).
  • I believe they can be docked a day at a time for time missed due to illness or disability. Disciplinary docking must be done by the week. As already stated, docking for one day for discipline will forfeit their exempt status.
  • It was my understanding that their leave time could be hit for other attendance issues besides illness or disability, as long as leave time was available. They still get paid for the week of salary, but the components include time worked plus leave time. If they do not have enough leave time, then you still must pay them for a full week of salary regardless of the time worked.
  • Agreed, we didn't address that. If he did not show up I would charge him a vacation day reducing his vacation bank by one day. He still gets paid for 40 hours and meets the requirments of the law, but he also takes a hit. Not quite the same as a suspension.

But, an exempt ee can be paid only 32 hours in a given week if there is a major safety violation or for illness/disability.
  • This may sound like a really dumb question, but where does it specifically say that for disciplinary reasons exempt employees must be docked a whole week and can not be docked one day of pay? To further display my ignorance, where does it state that we can or can't dock an exempt employee for taking a day off for whatever reason, i.e., sickness, golf, PTA, etc? What are the quidelines for docking one day versus one week? Thanks!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-01-03 AT 11:02AM (CST)[/font][p]Ritamcguire, regarding docking for the whole week, the regs don't really say that.

It comes from a combination of two separate provisons of the FLSA regulaitons on exempt status at 29CFR541.118(a).

The regulation only permits suspending an emplyee and docking the weekly salary when the employee commits a violation of a major safety rule of the employer. But the general provison of 118(a) states that in any week an exempt employee does not work, the emplyee does not have to be paid. Thus the concept is that if the emplyee is suspended for all the regular wirk days during the week (and performs no work during the week), then the suspension is in compliance with the regulation even though the employee did not violate a major safety rule. My recllection is that US DOL has no problem with this approach.

Deez, if the exempt employee did NOT show up to work at all for one day due to personal reasons (non-lillness or injury), you could dock him that one day's pay from the weekly salary. You don't have to cover it with accrued paid time (unless your company policy requires it be done). Perhaps that is what your boss is really looking for.
  • What about a suspension with no pay of this sort: Employee violates a direct order from Director of operations to keep a project he is working on under secrecy. However, the cat is out of the bag because of a comment he made with another employee. This created a major problem for us. Our exempt employees get paid bi-weekly, the director insisted on suspension of 5 days commencing on Wednesday(3 days of one week and 2 days of the following week) This whole scenario fell with in the two week pay period. I suggested this would not hold in court if it got to that, however he insisted and said I want it done!!!!

Any comments...
  • It wouldn't unless that is his work week. I have exempt personnel who don't necessarily work Monday through Friday, so a five day suspension could start on a Wednesday and end on a Sunday.

The best you can do for your scenario would be to dock vacation pay for the Wed-Thu-Fri, then suspend unpaid the following Mon-Fri
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-02-03 AT 03:34AM (CST)[/font][p]I agree with Leslie.

Even though the exempt employee may be paid semi-monthly, the FLSA regualiton regarding salaried status sitll looks at the "work week" for the purpose of paying the exempt emplyee for having worked any part of the week.

The sepcifc provision of 29CFR541.118(a) is:

"Subject to the exceptions provided below, the employee must receive his full salary for any week in which he performs any work without regard to the number of days or hours worked. This policy is also subject to the general rule that an employee need not be paid for any workweek in which he performs no work."

(a)(1) goes on to provide, "An employee will not be considered to be 'on a salary basis' if deductions from his predetermined compensation are made for absences occasioned by the employer or by the operating requirements of the business. Accordingly, if the employee is ready, willing, and able to work, deductions may not be made for time when work is not available."

And (a)(5) specifically provides, "Penalties imposed in good faith for infractions of safety rules of major significance will not affect the employee's salaried status. Safety rules of major significance include only those relating to the prevention of serious danger to the plant, or other employees, such as rules prohibiting smoking in explosive plants, oil refineries, and coal mines."

The only way you can accomplish what the boss wants to do is to have the exempt employee on a work week that encompasses the order of those days all in the same work week. To suspend an employee for a work week, you would only need to prevent the employee from working the regular work days of the work week, assuming the regular days off, e.g. Saturday and Sunday, for example, wouldn't be worked at all in the first place.

Thus you can see that suspending the exempt, salaried employee for the last part of one work week and the first part of the next work week (with the emplyee working the other parts of the two work weeks) entitles the employee to full pay for both work weeks.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-02-03 AT 08:21AM (CST)[/font][p]Hatchet, in regard to Leslie's scenario, wouldn't the "work week" in question be the work week designated by the company for the purposes of FLSA, and not the schedule worked by that particular employee? Does my question make sense? In other words, let's say that the company has designated a work week that runs from Saturday to Friday, and you want a particular exempt employee to lose five days of pay, but the EE has a schedule that goes from Wednesday to Tuesday. How would you make that work? It seems to me that the company would almost be forced to suspend the EE for the entire pay period in order to impose discipline AND preserve his exempt status. What do you think?

Man, you already answered my question!!! You're the man. I didn't read your entire post (that is SUCH a bad habit, but sometimes necessary due to time constraints)
  • Hatchet,

What would we do without you!!!!!!!!!