Gossip Is Out Of Control

Hello All,

I have recently joined a new company, and I have a problem. Gossip is out of control. We have all levels of associates involved in the rumor mill! I would like to address each department with an "anti-gossip" presentation. Something light-hearted, but with a strong impact. Anyone have any ideas?? I would also like to strengthen our current policy on gossip. Does anyone have a policy that is effective???

Thanks,
Leslie

[email]Leslie.I.Johnson@acs-inc.com[/email]

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Texan,
    I had the same problem here. It will be a challenge to fix as it has probably become part of the culture in your new organization. A simple policy will probably not fix it since you say it crosses the entire organization at multiple levels. What I found was that it was the result of poor communication within my org. That is the employees, including managers, did not really know what was going on. In the absence of real knowledge, they created their own version of the truth based on fear, inuendo and perceived power (ie those who seemed in the know had more power). I had all kinds of stuff, like we were going to be taken over etc. which led to turnover out of fear of the unknown.

Here's how we fixed it...the message needs to come from the top..CEO, Pres, GM..and it needs to squash malicious rumors etc. I have quarterly town hall meetings now with as many employees as I can round up in attendance. The management team gives updates on projects and goings ons and then the CEO asks the crowd to "spill the beans" on rumors and addresses them head on. Employees will be unprofessional in the beginning until they feel comfortable that discussions are candid and honest. If your company is too big for this, a newsletter does the same thing and you can also handle tough questions easier with the luxury of time to prepare the proper response...if I can help, email me. [email]jbarrett@pagememorial.org[/email]

John
  • You may have to set yourself up to being the "evil director of Human Resources." Those who don't gossip will be glad when you bring it to a slow down (you'll never bring it to a halt.) Those who do will be infuriated at you for "imposing on their right to free speech."

I've met with employees in their department to dispell rumors. You have to tell the truth if you want to be credible. I've done newsletter articles which are helpful. I've told an "anti-rumor" to the person I could trust to spread a rumor.

Overall, policies don't work unless your managers will enforce them. Our rumor mill and socialization was so out of hand that last week I sent a memo to all office personnel telling them that management will be advised to take corrective action. Things have been quiet since.

"Sam"

• This is such an insidious problem. It can do more harm than the worst computer virus.

Getting top management support to address is the first of many steps, and perhaps the most important. Not tolerating it begins at the top and must percolate throughout the environment. You should consider training supervisors and managers to call people on their behavior when it is exhibited. That also means leading by example. Getting the message out through staff meetings and department meetings will help. I have even seen policies written, however they must be enforced to be effective and where do you draw the line?
  • There were a couple of recent discussions about this on the Forum. If you missed them, click on the Search icon at the top of this page and look for the word gossip in the subject line.

I think JEBtrois hit the nail on the head. At least that's the rumor that's going around. ;;)

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com