Post hire information

I realize this may be a simple question, however, my answer is being questioned. Is it ok to ask marital status and dependent information post hire? Our HR system has spots for birthdates and soc #'s but we only seem to receive this info when they are added onto the insurance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Nikki

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We also have a spot for marital status but we do not maintain it. I would look at the business need for having this information before they are added to the insurance or at all if they are not added.
  • Just because your HR system has spots for particular information, you do not have to use it. Unless you are using a program that was specifically written for your company, all HR programs are boilerplate trying to please as many people as possible.
  • You can ask but they are not required to answer. If you discipline an employee for not disclosing their marital status, you may find yourself and your company in some hot water! You would have to prove it was a business necessity. My fellow forumaniacs are correct in saying that most systems have a place to enter it but they are usually not required fields. Hope we were of some help.
  • You need birthdates and social security numbers for the business purposes related to tax forms and payroll taxes. Other than insurance enrollment forms I can't think of another reason to know who is married or dependent information. There may be occasions where you would have voluntary information provided on who to contact in case of emergency and that might tend to identify a spouse, but it's voluntarily provided, if at all.
  • Thanks to all your responses. That was my take on it but just thought I'd check other opinions.

Thanks again.
  • If you really need it, you can find this info on the medical coverage enrollment form or dental form. Most providers require the ee to fill in those sections. I'm sure it's used to ID dual coverage.
  • You don't need the ee's marital status for anything other than insurance unless you have a 401K plan, in which case, you would need this information for administrative purposes. Also for life insurance. A married employee can not designate someone other than a spouse as a beneficiary without jumping through MAJOR hoops. You should be keeping all of your insurance-related information in a separate set of files because that information should never go to a manager ---it is unrelated to the ee's performance. Beyond insurance purposes, you shouldn't need dependents birthdates or ssn's.

On our new hire form, we ask the ee to let us know who we should contact in case of an emergency and their relationship to the ee. Believe me, that has come in handy when an employee has become sick at work...at least we know who to call to help them! Most often the spouse's name is provided.