organizational communication

Can any of you suggest a publication dealing with organizational communication. I need to try and revamp the way our 12 branches interact with each other. Also, need to work on getting the work down to all employees about "what is going on". We have done little to encourage employee involvement or process improvement, and, I think it is time. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I bet that you can find a bunch of stuff on the internet. Try ASTD to start.
  • what types of issues are you concerned about?...mike
  • I don't have a publication to suggest, but I can tell you what we do;

- conduct monthly six-hour meetings of our 17 location directors. They are responsible for then sharing the info with their teams. Each dept (HR, acct, ops) covers "hot topics" for that month, including training sessions. Then Ops covers general housekeeping stuff - what's going on in the company, industry trends, etc. We also do team builders and ice breakers. (Still gotta try out that pig-drawing thing someone posted on the Forum a while back!)

- CEO writes a quarterly memo to the 17 location directors, kind of like a "state of the union address" including company financial performance, big projects such as new schools opening, locations being redecorated, etc.

- I used to do a monthly employee newsletter including similar info as the CEO's memo, but geared to the non-management team, plus policy reminders, a benefits "tips" section (how to use the plan, ph#'s etc.), etc. I kind of got swamped and the newsletter fell by the wayside but I plan to reinstate it.

Of course, employees will always feel communication needs to improve, but the things we have in place at least keep the information flowing.
  • Thanks to all of you for the respoonse. I tried to open the STD web page but didn't get it. As to the "way we do it", excellent means of keeping all parties aware of the horizon. my main issues are identifying the common problems, how to devleop "team" concepts and a real change in the corporate culture to openness and common support. Any further suggestions would be welcomed.
  • a good book to start with is say it right the first time by loretta malandrfo...very good advice on how to talk about the challange,not the person...it is very reader friendly aqnd is out in paperback...best,mike maslanka