Drug Testing Process - Help

We have always conducted our random drug testing off premises by sending our employees to an approved lab, where they do a 9-panel test. I am finding it such a loss of man-hours, I'm wondering if we shouldn't switch to the on-site cheek swab (5 panel test).

I would love to hear from my fellow forumites as to which procedure they use, why, and what their comment is on the other process.

Your responses would be very helpful in determining if we should switch processes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When we moved to a new facility out in the boonies, it became a real problem sending people to the health care facility for the drug test. Forty minute drive both ways. Big loss of productivity. The health care provider offered to send a technician to our facility for a small added fee. She sets up shop in the ladies room off the cafeteria and collects the urine samples to take back to her facility for analysis. Works very well.
  • We have on-site collections for a 10-panel and test approximately 80 employees a month. As a 24/7 business we do random testing at some very random hours. It's a little pricey, but as opposed to the loss of labor hours it's preferable.

• DJACOBS475: We do DOT and pre-employment drug testing with urine sample for testing and it only takes about 10 minutes for the employee. For pre-employment the drug test results are usually known by us before they can even get back to the office. The DOT standard (COMMERCIAL DRIVERS) test is rendered against the urine sample but it must be sent off to a certified DOT lab. The employee does not take any longer for the pre-employment drug screen than the DOT standard set of panels. We continue the employment process dependant on the negative result of the drug test. Random testing is, likewise, done the same, DOT standard results take about three days and the pre-employment drug screen takes about 15 minutes total.

I GUESS THE DIFFERENCE IS IN THE LOCATION TO THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE. UNDERSTANDABLE, A CRITICAL PART OF YOUR SITUATION!
  • We as a company are using the new swab testing. We have found it easy to administer on-site. However, a good written policy must be in place and might I suggest that if you are a compnay of any size or have a large turnover rate make use of a 3rd party administrator for those drug screens. Our company is around 2000 employees spread over 10 states.
    These tests are relitively accurate compared to just 1 year ago and the 5 panel test works just fine, because it covers all the most common drugs used for illicit purposes.
    For legal purposes have a good Medical Review Officer to review any positive results will reduce the posiblities of "false positive" significantly and any legal liablities.
    Just be sure that you do not use this type of testing for federally required drug tests, currently it have not been approved for this use yet.

You may wish to check into this further by check this website [url]www.crloralfluid.com[/url].