Proof of Auto Ins Policy

Do any of you have a written policy that requires all employees who have to travel in their job (such as attenting monthly meetings, etc)to provide proof of automobile liability insurance? If so, could you share some ideas of how to structure this?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • the policy language would be similar to: "All employees who operate their personal or company vehicles as a part of their employment will be required to furnish proof, satisfactory to the company, of a sufficient amount of vehicle liability insurance." you will have to establish the sufficiency of the amount and the proof needed, usually a copy of a current policy.
    Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • We went through this about 2 years ago - Not a good PR move - ees thought it was an invasion of privacy...

We finally stated that if anyone turns in mileage on their expense report we need proof of active auto insurance (showing coverage dates). Because mileage reimbursement is for - gas, wear and tear, insurance.

Good luck.

MBurch
  • We track both auto insurance and drivers license info. I built a microsoft access database that automatically e-mails each person when their insurance or license is close to expiration (I'm half HR and half IT). It saved me a lot of time tracking all of this type of info, and notifying our employees to send me this information. All of our employees have e-mail, so it works well for us.

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to send you a copy of the database (I get a lot from this site, but I don't often contribute, so maybe this will make up for it). It will work with both access 2000 and xp (but not with access 97).

Rob Shuster
    [email]rshuster@mahoneygroup.com[/email]