What type of vacation plan does your company offer?

After reading an earlier post today regarding vacation plans (in which some participants provided the # hours and/or days accrued based on years of service), I became curious - what type of time off plans are most popular among the companies of the Forum's participants?

We are in the planning stages of totally revising our vacation and sick policies. I think the current plan was instituted sometime during the 1950's -seriously!

I am promoting PTO or Annual Leave type programs, and I said earlier, am curious about how many of you offer the traditional vacation days, sick days, personal days versus Paid Time Off. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a vacation policy based on years of service: Two weeks upon first anniversary, Three weeks upon eight year anniversary, and four weeks upon fifteen year anniversary.

Our sick leave plan is a little different. Full-time employees earn one sick day a month, which cannot be used until after they have been employed for 90 days. Employees can accrue up to 720 hours of sick leave before their bank is capped. They have to use some hours before they can begin accruing again.

Hope this helps!

Amanda
  • We have a pretty liberal vacation policy. One week after one year, two weeks after two years, three weeks after 10 years, four weeks after 15 years, five weeks after 20 years or more.

We used to have one sick day a month and could accumulate up to 800 hours. That has been changed, everyone with a sick bank was cashed out of half of their hours and the remaining half went into a retirement plan to be collected after age 62 (at today's wages, LOL). Now we are given 7 PTO days annually. You can carry over 24 hours into the next year, but any other accumulated hours are forfeited.

Annie

• We have a great policy, I think anyway. We get 9 paid holidays effective your first day of employment, 2 weeks vacation after the first year, 3 weeks at 5 years, etc. For sick time, we get 5 days at 6 months and another 5 at a year, plus 5 more on your anniversary each year. The great thing about our sick time is that you can use 4 or 8 hour increments, for Dr. visits and such, and you can also roll the time over from year to year for as long as you want.

• Our employees can start using vacation starting from day one. We offer three weeks for the first 8 years, four weeks to 15 years and five weeks for 20 or more years. Our emplyess can not carrie over vacation time from year to year. However they are allowed to bank it. This means if an employee wants to take all three weeks in February they can. They just wont have any left for the rest of the year.

As far as sick is concerned we do not have sick time for our exempt staff which is 90% of our employees. However if they get sick they just need to let the person they report to know. So far no one has abused this policy.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 10:06AM (CST)[/font][p]HR rosie:
    Ours is a "week earned" per anniversay date.
    After the 1st anniversay date the computer awards for record 1 week of vacation time; for labor positions the week can be from 40 hours to 48 hours depending on the average of 52 weeks of time worked to include O/T hours. 48 is the max. Exempts also get a 40 hour work week per year, but it is a manual excel spreadsheet that keeps the record straight of vacation earned, owed, and used for EXEMPT employees.

On the 2nd year anniversay another week or 48 hour average hours will be recorded on behalf of the ee.

On the 3rd year it jumps to two weeks.

On the 10 year it jumps to 3 weeks.

Remote site managers also are given and additional week off with pay, should they use up their awarded vacation days or week/s and need an additional week to rest and get "fired Up" to perform better during the next working year.

OOPs got the 10 year increment wrong it is three weeks for ever more!

PORK
  • Vacation is one week if hire b4 July 1. The next Jan 1 it's 2 weeks. After 7 years, 3 weeks, after 12 years, 4 weeks and at 20 years we add a day for every other year up to a max of 25. Sick is one week if hired b4 July 1. The next Jan and each Jan after it is 10 days. Can be accumulated up to 30 days in the back, so a year can start out with 40 days (30 in bank and 10 new). Sick time can be used for personal illness, family illnes and appointments. It is quite liberal. Employees accrue vacation and sick through the year. This is a problem when the employee uses their vacaton in the beginning of the year and then terminates. They know that they owe it back and sign the authorization for deduction. No one has yet refused to sign. We do a good job of informing employees so they don't get too far in the hole.
  • We give 13 or 19 days Paid time off (depending on 'rank' in the company). We add additional days for years of service. The days can be used for vacation, sick or personal and can be taken in hours, if needed. Any days not used in a calendar year are carried over to the next year. We designate them Carried Time Over (CTO) at that point, because we have to place a salary value on them and accrue for them in the budget. They carry over at the rate they are earned.

I like this system so much better than vacation & sick pay. No one has to lie about being sick when they need a day for the kids.
  • We have PTO.

Each calendar year our employees from 0 yrs - 9 yrs of service receive 20 days of PTO. This is for vacation, illness, and personal days. We have 6 Holidays that employees are paid for and a medical leave policy that pays up to six weeks IF you are hospitalized. (under revision)

Beginning year 10, employees receive 25 days off per year. If you don't use it by December 31 - you lose it. You may bank 5 days for emergencies.

PTO is prorated to the new employee's date of hire and prorated for the terminating employee. Oh yeah, you can use it from day one.

• We have different plans for different areas of the company.

For administrative employees it is one week of vacation after one year of employment, 2 weeks after 2 years, 3 weeks after 5 years, 4 weeks after 10 years, and 5 weeks after 20 years. Vacation does not carry over, and is lost if not used before the next anniversary date. Admin also accrues sick days at the rate of 1/2 day per month to a maximum of 30 days.

Non-union drivers have the same vacation "earning" schedule as admin employees, but any unused vacation is paid out on the anniversary date. They do not accrue sick time.

Union drivers follow the same levels, except they are capped at 4 weeks vacation, they currently also receive 2 PTO days per year, but gave them up in the most recent contract, so after October, they will be gone. Unused days are paid out. They also don't accrue sick time.

Union mechanics also follow the same levels as admin, but they are paid at 45 hours for a week of vaction. Unused days are paid out. They do not accrue sick time.
  • We are a bank w/ 80 employees. Our vacation policy is determined by your "rank."
    Non-exempts get:
    6 - 24 months 2 weeks/yr
    25 - 120 months 3 weeks/yr
    121+ months 4 weeks/yr
    Exempt employees get:
    Exempt thru the Asst.Vice President level -
    6 - 60 months 3 weeks/yr
    61+ months 4 weeks/yr

Vice Presidents -
    6+ months 4 weeks/yr

Sr. Management -
    6+ months 5 weeks/yr

Maximum carry-over from one calendar year to the next is 240 hours. We are not allowed to buy-out vacation. Vacation time may also be "borrowed" against future accruals for the calendar year. (I would not recommend doing this.)

Sick leave: Everyone accrues 1 day/sick leave per month.
  • Thanks to everyone for sharing your vacation information. It really was interesting to read how the plans differ!

HR rosie
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 02:22PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 02:22 PM (CST)[/font]

I work for a non-profit organization. We get 6 days sick leave per year. Employees can cash that out (if they haven't used any) at the end of the year or carry over for a maximum of 30 days. We get 12 holidays per year. Vacation is 12 days a year for the first three years, (have to be employed 6 months before they can start using it); 15 days third and fourth years; 20 days fifth through ninth year, 25 days tenth through thirteenth year; 30 days beginning with 14th year. Employees can carry over a maximum of 25 days per year. What I don't understand, is why everyone seems to be out of leave.
  • I work for a non-profit agency. Our sick policy runs a maximum of 420 hours; once you reach these hours you no longer accrue sick leave.
    Vacation is 12 days 1-2 years, 15 days 3-4 years, 18 days 5-6 years, 21 days 7-8 years, 24 days 9+ years. Up to 10 days coulc be carried over, for good reason, with prior approval of your Director. Over 10 days and up to 20 days could be carried over, for compelling reason, with prior approval by your director/and joint approval by Personnel Manager and Executive Director.
    No more than 20 days could be carried over except with Board approval, and only for an exremely compelling reason such requests related to FMLA usage, and for a specifically designated, limited time period.
  • My company has just completed revising our vacation policy. We decided that it was FAR too generous. Our managers were complaining because their employees were gone so often.

Our policy is and will continue to be a pool of PTO days (vacation, sick, and personal time all included)
    This is what it is currently:
    Years w/ company / # PTO days

0 - 2 years / 19 days
    3-4 years / 24 days
    5+ years / 29 days
    Plus, 9 corporate holidays
    At the end of the year, any leftover PTO days are forfeited.

Our new system, which will go into effect for all employees effective 1/1/04, and which is in effect for all new employees hired after 8/1/03:

Years w/ company / # PTO days

0 - 1 year / 10 days
    2 - 4 years / 15 days
    5+ years / 20 days
    Plus, 9 corporate holidays

One good thing about the new policy is that now, unused PTO will be paid out at 100% of the current pay rate, limited to 1/2 of the total PTO time earned during the year.

I'm not sure how the existing employees will feel about this. I know that some people will bellyache when it is introduced to them, but most of the bellyachers will be the ones who are really abusing the policy right now. This company is extremely generous in all of its benefits, and I hope that people will realize this. I've never worked for another company that had as many really great benefits as this one.