Garnishment Fee

I'm in WI and I received a garnishment order for one of my employees and have been informed that we are charged, from our payroll service, $3.00 per check for garnishments. This is NOT a child support order and there is nothing in the garnishment papers stating that we have a right to charge anything over and above the order for the garnishment. We did, however, receive the required $15.00 fee from the creditor for the garnishment order.

Do we have a right to deduct the additional $3.00 fee from the EE for each check? If so, does the $3.00 come off in addition to the 20% of the garnishment order or is it part of it?

Again, I'm in WI so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm in Wisconsin also. The $3.00 garnishment fee is taken off the amount due the creditor. For instance, if the 20% due equals $153.00, only $150.00 is sent to the creditor and the employer (or in your case, your payroll service) keeps the $3.00. Our payroll service does not charge for this, and as a company, we don't charge the employee either, resulting in an "extra" $3.00 going toward the judgment. $3.00 is the amount prescribed by law that can be charged.
  • I know that this is the case for child support orders but this is a garnishment from a creditor. Do the same rules apply? Do you know where I can get written verification of this?