FIRED!!!

2 weeks ago, I was fired for poor performance. I was offered 2weeks severance pay on condition that I sign a document releasing company of all legal liability, waiving my right to sue. I refused. I had no prior performance issues/warnings whatsoever. I signed an at-will agreement when I was hired last summer as HR Rep.

I know I was terminated for reasons company will care to admit. I was handling a HUGE (one third of workforce) social security no match letters HR had received a couple of months back. Upon consultation with HR Director and company lawyers, I was advised to follow instructions provided by the Social Security Administration. I sent out memos to affected ees, mostly hispanic, to contact HR to verify and correct their information. Some panicked and quit. Others admitted they couldn't do anything about their ss#'s because they bought them off the streets. When I informed management, some managers accused me trying to "scare away hispanic ees". Some were concerned about losing almost entire shifts! One manager questioned my "motives for going after hispanic ees." She indicated that some ees had been with company for 3 years and never had "any of these problems" until I arrived. I thought that was totally ludicrous for them to think that I was intentionally targeting a particular group of ees.

As if I wasn't clueless enough, I made the 'mistake' of implementing a ss validation system for ALL applicants as part of pre-employment process. Result? Fewer hispanic candidates made it. Workforce is composed of mainly minorities (African American and hispanic), jobs are low paying and working conditions are extremely harsh. This is also a workplace where HR doesn't have a whole lot of clout! Management had always openly expressed preference for hispanic workers: "they are harder workers, more reliable and not trouble makers." On the other hand, there's very high turnover among African-American employees.

Long story short, I was called into a termination meeting and there was no documentation or specfics regarding my so-called substandard performance. I really felt betrayed. Here I was trying to save company from the legal ramifications of hiring and knowingly employing undocumented immigrants and I was canned for it. They have known all along that they are employing illegals. In fact, some of the ees who admitted being undocumented were still working there as of last week. I felt pressured to go along with it.

Do I think I was treated unfairly? YES! But we all know that unfairness doesn't always mean unlawful. What I want to know is, did company actually violate any laws/statutes by firing me? If so, what legal recourse do I have? I called several lawyers' offices and it's gonna cost $150-$200/hr just for them to hear my story and determine whether I have a case or not. I don't want to spend money I don't have on a dead end cause. Any thoughts from all you Employment Law gurus will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The legal angle probably depends on how your state views exceptions to employment at will. This falls into the "public policy" exception arena, which means that it is not a good idea to fire employees for reasons of public policy - and it is public policy to do what you were doing - trying to get this company in compliance with INS regulations and you got fired for doing so. States vary from conservative to liberal in their interpretation of how far the exception goes and I don't know how Virginia courts would view it. The other issue is whether or not you want to go through the hassle of filing a lawsuit and taking all the crap that goes along with that - maybe you are better off saying goodbye and finding a job with a good company. It is worth a couple of hours of an attorneys time.
  • I agree. Some courts have decided that employees cannot be fired for carrying out "legal obligations". I don't know about Virginia, so a couple hundred bucks for a visit to an attorney may be worth it.

In your pursuit of future employment, don't disclose that you are considering legal action against your former employer unless it's to your advantage to do so.They may assume that they are next.
  • Larry is right about disclosure. Less said the better. I hired an assistant a few years ago and after she had been here for a few weeks gave me more detail why she "left" her previous employer. She had been the HR Manager and "discovered" the owner of the business "had his hand in the 401K fund". She blew the whistle to whatever government agency cared about such things and when he found out, fired her. As she was telling me the story, I mentioned that the employer/401K provider has 90 days to post a 401K deduction to the ee's account. The look on her face was priceless - oops, maybe she didn't really discover any wrong doing afterall. I found it kind of odd that she didn't realize this vital information or check it out before she tattled. Funny thing, nothing ever came of her whistleblowing, the case was closed with no wrong doing found.

I'm not accusing HR4life of anything wrong, but just urging caution.

• I appreciate everyone's support and feedback. Larry, C., I agree with you and others urging everybody to exercise caution. It's good to be open-minded until you've heard all sides. As they say, there are always 2 sides (or more) to every story. Having been in HR in just over 3 years, I have encountered many many instances where terminated ees tried to make up stories or embellish them. I'm sure my former employer will attempt to dispute my "claims". But I do have evidence: email printouts, memos, witnesses etc. Statements made in meetings will probably come down to he said she said!

I'm afraid of hurting my HR career and so I'm proceeding cautiously. I'm not planning to be in one of those "In the Courtroom" updates ;) I thought long and hard before posting my case here. In fact, I only presented the big picture and left out some specific details just not to give too much away. For one thing, I didn't want to come off as bad-mouthing my former employer. It's very awkward for me to be contemplating lawsuit. I have always dismissed termed ees threatening lawsuits as bitter people who can't deal with their weaknesses. I have spent part of my short HR career trying to prevent ex employee lawsuits and the irony of my situation is not lost on me.

Just this morning, I received another copy of the Severance and Release Agreement in the mail. The note said my signature was required in order for payroll to cut me a severance check. I thought I turned that down already!
  • It would not be out of line to retain counsel, just to see what you may have. And I agree with the group, your first responsibility is to comply with the law.
  • I agree 100% with Gillian2. The company maintaining a full crew on 2nd shift and keeping Hispanics employed PALES in comparison to the company's obligation to hire qualified individuals under the immigration laws. Take this hot example for instance: PECO Foods, 6 miles north of me on interstate 55, just fired 200 Mexicans last Friday night. None of these people could apparently produce sufficient documentation. The Catholic Church and others are up in arms at the severe treatment by the employer. All the dissenters are crying that this group of illegals will be dispersed into the larger pool, some repatriated and yet another group, at a cheaper wage, will be brought in by the guys with the vans. All that be as it may; we still have laws to obey and I think your action was entirely appropriate. No doubt your management is not familiar with the ills visited upon Tyson Foods (chicken processors) earlier in the year (although exhonerrated) and this current PECO Foods event. None of us has any obligation to retain an illegal employee or an illegal workforce. Unless, I suppose, we are in California or Miami. What the hell would they have had you do anyway? Is there a better approach to enforcing the law than dealing with the issue? I think not, and that's what you attempted to do. Just my opinion x:-)
  • YES
    You were treated VERY BAD in my opinion. There is a HUGE RED FLAG if your co wants you to sign a doc like that clearing them of legal liability. Do you have a copy of it?
    To me that speaks volumes saying, they know what they did was wrong!!

Get a great employment lawyer and sue!!!
  • For what it's worth, the HR community is symbolically wrapping its arms around you for support. We've all run into managers that don't care or won't listen, but keeping them in compliance is our job. You were doing your job, it's not fair, but filing suit is also a hard decision. I'd spend the money, and find a GOOD attorney for consultation.

As you look for another job, try not to bad-mouth the former employers, regardless. That's a real turn-off to prospective employers.

Wishing you the best.
  • If you have time left, get a lawyer to review the severance agreement. The agreement should also give you that advice. I judged from your post that the company was only asking you to release them from further liability (age, fmla, eeo, etc) and asked you to agree not to sue or bring charges. That's what all severance letters do that are properly constructed. I don't know that they are asking you to lie or not bring charges as a result of what went on. That's not something any employer with halfway good sense would do and only one lawyer that I know of would do it. If it's a simple severance letter and you have no grounds to sue them on the limited bases mentioned in the letter and your lawyer so advises, sign and benefit from the severance. If you don't sign, you're already out of a job and have no basis for recovery otherwise, or so I surmise.
  • You know, I'm not one much on lawsuits - although it appears from the original post that HR4life was trying to do her job - correctly.

How about the bigger picture? I think if the post was accurate, HR4life needs to do the whistleblowing thing on undocumented aliens working at that company so that they will not continue this practice now that she's gone.

What would a lawsuit accomplish? Does HR4life really want to return to this company? Will it clear her name? Does she have the $$ and time to spend on this issue and basically and unfortunately blacklist herself from HR?

It's a tough decision and I think there are attorneys who would listen for an hour and either charge minimal $$ or nothing at all and who would take this on contingency, if the case is as solid as she claims.

HR4life - if you are still reading posts - I do want to clarify that I don't doubt you - but having been in HR for 14+ years and around the block a couple of times, I always put my disclaimers in until I hear all 10 sides of the story.

Good luck.

Zanne

• I wonder, did you present a proposal/action plan to management that outlined consequences and legal ramifications BEFORE you began implementation? It's not enough to have quick meetings or chatting with someone for 10-15 minutes with a quick head nod of approval (if this happened) - you have to have a formal presentation with management outlining the issues at hand - especially if the action will affect the majority of the employees & operations.

If you had had this meeting and management chose not to follow your advice - then I would leave the company. If they are willing to break this fundamental law - once they know what the issues are - then there's probably 10 more they are breaking as well.

As to a lawsuit. I don't think there's much there to pursue - at least from a monetary standpoint for you, but if your intent on pursuing a lawsuit then you should proceed.

Good luck to you.
  • HR4life did say he/she had consulted with the HR Director and lawyers on how to handle the SS no-match letters that really started the whole brou-ha-ha.

If you had received a huge bunch of no-match letters, it would seem very appropriate to implement a verification system from that point forward. Did the HR Director have any input into your decision? Did they attempt to back you up for doing what was right?

Sounds like the HR Director turned a blind eye to non-compliance and is letting you be the scapegoat.
  • Agree that it would be worth pursuing and from what you've presented appearances are that you may be the scapegoat for this particular project - let's see the extent of the problem - whoops, it's much more than we thought so let's put our heads back in the sand and pretend it never happened.

Not surprised that you received a follow-up through mail - they are probably hoping that by not making a big deal out of it that you'll sign and due to your inexperience they won't have to worry about this anymore.

If they call to check on the status of it, mention that you're running it past your attorney. This may also be how you get your foot in the door to an attorney - show him the severence offered and layout your documentation as to why you believe employment was terminated. He/She can then give you an opinion on whether it's worth pursuing. If nothing else, it will give you some peace of mind.
  • HR4life,

My company received notification of non-matching SSN's, fortunately for me my outcome was more positive. The only mismatch at my location was due to a marriage and the EE failed to submit her new SSN with corrected name, but I am dealing with 6 of our other locations who employee majority Hispanic and Hmong.
    Before implementing anything I consulted with our lawyers and discussed with each manager the possible worst case scenerios so they would be prepared and supportive. I also explained to them the penalities if we failed to comply. So far it has been successful. Good luck.
  • >I wonder, did you present a proposal/action plan to management that
    >outlined consequences and legal ramifications BEFORE you began
    >implementation? It's not enough to have quick meetings or chatting
    >with someone for 10-15 minutes with a quick head nod of approval (if
    >this happened) - you have to have a formal presentation with
    >management outlining the issues at hand - especially if the action
    >will affect the majority of the employees & operations.
    >

No, I didn't make a formal presentation. I did however bring up the issue in a management meeting and showed a copy of the memo I sent to the ees (I had already consulted with HR Dir. & company attys before starting the project). I also gave each manager a list of their affected personnel. When they realized how many ees were involved, that's when I was attacked. I was told to assure those that had already received the memo that they would not lose their jobs. Also I was to hold on to the rest of the memos until further notice. I had a discussion with HR director and an immigration lawyer was invited to lecture management on the implications of no-match letters and the possible consequences of employing illegals. He also outlined how to legalize them thru company sponsorship. However, there was a catch. Sponsorship had the risk of exposing to the BCIS that they were knowingly employing illegals. Managememt decided there were just too many employees to sponsor. And they continued to be employed anyway!
  • ">No, I didn't make a formal presentation. I did however bring up the
    >issue in a management meeting and showed a copy of the memo I sent to
    >the ees (I had already consulted with HR Dir. & company attys before
    >starting the project). I also gave each manager a list of their
    >affected personnel. When they realized how many ees were involved,
    >that's when I was attacked. I was told to assure those that had
    >already received the memo that they would not lose their jobs. Also I
    >was to hold on to the rest of the memos until further notice."

Was it on these grounds that they terminated you - it almost sounds from your response as though you went against management's desires and followed SSA advice instead. Was this why they terminated you? I'm not saying that the company is correct in their stance - very much the opposite - but were you right in yours? Meaning, you were correct to go with SSA advice - absolutely, but if management was so against it - what did you expect would happen once management found out about your actions?

I'm still not sure if you would indeed benefit financially from deciding to sue - wrongful termination - maybe - but again, I think you should go and see an attorney.

• You really should invest a couple of hours time with an attorney as you probably have a very good case. The company was, essentially, asking you to embrace the hiring and retaining of illegals in your workforce. Smart thing to keep copies of emails, memos, etc.

If IRCA ever investigates this company, they will, more than likely, take a major financial hit. Not too long ago in South Carolina, there was a cave in at a worksite and it was found that not only were two of the individuals killed illegals, but were also underaged to be working at a construction site. Needless to say, the company is in BIG trouble.

I would not sign anything without legal counsel looking it over.

• HR4Life: You seem to have disappeared. You've provided a lot of fragmented and non-specific information and our speculation has run the gamut. You also said in your last post that you received another letter about the severance. By law you have 21 days to sign a normal severance letter (one that includes mention of older worker act discrimination) and yet another seven days following your signature, during which to retract it. So, you have as long as 28 days and maybe they are just reminding you that if you want a check, you must sign and return the severance form agreement. Hopefully you realize by now that you should let an attorney review the letter. By the way, the signed severance agreement upon which a check is based is a promise and contract entirely apart from your subsequent ability to provide others information sufficient to impose an agency penalty or court action against the company for the company's illegal actions involving the hiring process. In a normal severance agreement you only promise not to sue for perceived discrimination against yourself in termination. You won't be signing away your right to be honest nor will you be promising not to get the company's ass in a crack over its illegal hiring practices if you and your attorney so intend. If the company is trying to get you to do THAT, you might go spend the afternoon looking for a new car.
  • Don,

The severance/release presented to me upon termination had a 2-week deadline even though I was encouraged to sign it on the termination day. The deadline passed last thursday and today I received a reminder with a copy of the original document.

Here's part of the text of the Release:

.." In cosideration of the Special Severance Package, [employee] agrees, ...that [employee] has been permanently separated from employment with [Company], and that [employee] waives, releases and forever discharges [Company], its owners, officers..., from any and all claims, known or unknown, that [employee] has or may have relating to or arising out of [employee's] employment and termination thereof, including but not limited to any claims of wrongful discharge, breach of expression or contract, fraud, misrepresentation...claims of any kind that may be brought in court or administrative agency, any claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,...the Age discrimination Act...ADA, FMLA...State Human Rights Act, or any federal, state or local law relating to employment..."

After this comes the COBRA, Non-disclosure of business info blah blah blah. Does it look like a standard release? I haven't had one before so I don't know.
  • oops! some words I put in parenthesis disappeared. Here's the correction:

>Don,
    >
    >The severance/release presented to me upon termination had a 2-week
    >deadline even though I was encouraged to sign it on the termination
    >day. The deadline passed last thursday and today I received a reminder
    >with a copy of the original document.
    >
    >Here's part of the text of the Release:
    >
    >.." In consideration of the Special Severance Package, employee
    >agrees, ...that employee has been permanently separated from
    >employment with Company, and that employee waives, releases and
    >forever discharges Company, its owners, officers..., from any and
    >all claims, known or unknown, that employee has or may have relating
    >to or arising out of employee's employment and termination thereof,
    >including but not limited to any claims of wrongful discharge, breach
    >of expression or contract, fraud, misrepresentation...claims of any
    >kind that may be brought in court or administrative agency, any claims
    >under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,...the Age
    >discrimination Act...ADA, FMLA...State Human Rights Act, or any
    >federal, state or local law relating to employment..."
    >
    >After this comes the COBRA, Non-disclosure of business info blah blah
    >blah. Does it look like a standard release? I haven't had one before
    >so I don't know.

• Since they were so quick to come up with a release from wrongful discharge, sounds like they are pretty nervous to me. Two weeks pay isn't much to sign away your legal rights.
  • No. Rather it sounds like a compilation of Bull S***. A lawyer can tell you for certain, but the severance agreements I've dealt with, as instructed by an attorney, were required by law to grant a 21 day thought/review process followed by seven more if signed on day 21 and given then to the company. This requirement, according to legal advice, was imposed if and when the agreement embraced the language about age discrimination. If the amount of the severance pay is enticing to you at all, and only you know that, you have a decision to make as to whether or not you want to share up to $100 of your severance, or maybe less, with a labor lawyer for a quick, cursory review of the letter. Don't ask him what he'll charge. Ask him if he will work for you for 45 minutes for 100 bucks.
  • I'm sure the local INS office would LOVE to hear about this wonderful company you've been working for and why you were fired!
  • HR4LIFE: Don't sign anything and make fast tracks to your local EEOC office as a "Whisleblower or female or hostile workplace or sexual harassment or your own National Origin in reverse" it reads like if you were not a Hispanic Worker you did not have a chance to preform and every body was mad at you for doing right".

We too have done our ssn and name mismatch audit and found 3 US Citizens with SSN issues, we found 9 hispanics with SSN issues ( which we knew about because they had confessed and sought our assistance in applying for a change in status through DOL,we are continuing to work that issue). We are currently online with SSA and can validate and name and SSN in "seconds"; guess what the legal hispanics are coming but the illegals are going somewhere else.

For everyone, we HRs have got to get this mess cleaned up. The test program conducted by SSA is a winner, we joined in the 2nd year, my input to SSA was:"get in on line for every company now not later". It will hurt because our congress never consumated pRESIDENT bUSH'S request for an extended AMNESTY PROGRAM FOR ALL OF THOSE GOOD HARDWORKING EMPLOYEES. IT END APRIL 2001, SO NOW WHICH IS WORSE THE FINE FOR WORKING ILLEGAL ALIENS THAT YOU HIRED AS DOCUMENTED FOREIGN MIGRANT WORKERS OR THE MULTITUDE OF LAW SUITES COMING FROM EEOC FOR VIOLATION OF CHAPTER VII UNDER ADVERSE PERSONNEL ACTIONS TOWARD UNDOCUMENTED FOREIGN WORKERS. WE ARE DAMNED IF WE DO AND DAMNED IF WE DON'T, SO JUMP IN THERE AND GET YOU A LITTLE PIECE OF THE ACTIONS. CALL RICHARD SWARTZ OR JOHNNY COCKRAN HE PURSUE YOUR CASE FOR CONSIGNMENT WAGES, YOU MAY END UP OWNING THE COMPANY.

GO FOR IT! PORK
  • I was out all last week so am late gettin in on this one. Don, I think the 21 days is only if the employer wants a valid waiver of the ADEA claim - so - if HR4LIFE isn't over 40, no waiver necessary. Maybe some states have adopted a similar rule for all severance agreements, but so far as I know, if the ee is not covered by the ADEA , then no need to use the 21 days, ok to say sign it now or nothing paid. Otherwise I agree, see a lawyer - but - if she sues, she wil have a heeluva time getting employed!
  • Opps! Sorry Don! Guess you said that in your last post!
  • Sorry, I was also out last week.
    Regarding the severance agreement, in Wisconsin the agreement (generally) would only be binding if there was "due consideration". Our attorney advises us that due consideration is at least four week pay. I would do two things 1) negotiate for a much higher sum - say six months pay and benefits. This will give you time to find another job. Use of an attorney during a negotiation might be wise, perhaps you could give the atty. a percentage of the increased severance funds. 2) Realize that this employer was not a good fit for you and find a better company to work for. Good luck.
  • I agree with Shadowfax who clarified that the 21 days is only required if the affected employee is age 40 or over. Otherwise, the company can put any time limit on it that it wants.

I also agree with previous poster who recommended negotiating for additional severance and using an attorney to help you negotiate. While you're at it, negotiate for them to pay your COBRA benefits for 3 months and also require them to pay for outplacement services for you. Concurrently, you could proceed with your "whistleblowing" activities with INS or SSA. If you sue the company, you wouldn't want to be reinstated, correct? What you'd possibly benefit from is additional money, which you could get by re-negotiating the severance amount.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!