Constant Complainer

We have a long-term employee, member of a bargaining unit, who cannot stop complaining. This employee does her job well; however, she has made numerous complaints to management and to the company's ethics office. The complaints originally were concerning alleged inappropriate management behavior. Investigations were conducted and several of these complaints were substantiated. As a result corrective action was implemented and management/supervisory training was conducted. However, this employee is never satisfied. She now claims that she is being retaliated against because she made these complaints. She claims she is constantly being singled out and denied promotion opportunities and/or requests for leave time just because she had filed complaints - not because she is unqualified for the promotion or because she has failed to comply with the CBA's terms for requesting leave (which is the real truth.) The retaliation claims have been investigated and were found to have no merit. She then filed an EEOC charge of racial discrimination which was dismissed and she now holds a Right to Sue Letter. She continues to bombard the ethics office with "whiny" complaints of mistreatment and insinuates that she will file a lawsuit or go to the press about her mistreatment. Management is tired of dealing with her, the union is tired of dealing with her, the ethics office cannot spend all its time dealing with her (it is a one-man office which services 7000 employees.) Everyone is walking on eggshells while this individual seems to be able to get away with wreaking havoc.

She continues to make demands of management and the ethics office using a very disrespectful tone although she always begins with "please" and ends with "thank you". She knows how to play the system so that you are walking a fine line for disciplining her for being disrespectful. Although the context of her messages is disrespectful and demanding, she uses the politically correct manner words.

What can we do with this employee? She is having a demoralizing effect on her work group and management is completely exasperated.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This situation is probably bigger than the forum and you should immediately contact your employment attorney to discuss the matter.
  • Sounds like she is trying to find a way to fund an early retirement. I would also advise that you contact your labor attorney to find out the best way to proceed with getting this person out of your workforce.
  • What are you doing with my employee?!?!? I have a very similar situation, except no union, which may or may not help - blew the whistle, was right. Now everything is wrong. We investigate, nothing there. I finally told her to get her lawyer I'd contact ours. She backed off.

Now she's written the most rude, disrespectful, sarcastic, insubordinate letter to her department manager over a scheduling issue - claiming retaliation for the whistle blow.

I've been paged, called, and emailed by this employee three weekends in a row. It is never going to end.
  • Well, she's in a labor union AND she's vocal AND she knows the system somewhat. I'm not going to tell you that she's bulletproof, BUT you really should proceed very cautiously. And the problem is that aside from how annoying she is; it doesn't look like you have a lot to go on here. What does her employment record look like? How's her attendance? Has she ever been disciplined? You will NEVER be able to get rid of her based on annoyance alone. Get that out of your mind right now. And keep in mind that she may be able to hit you with a retaliation claim, depending on which State and/or Federal agencies she's been speaking to.
  • Is there a way to substantiate the amount of time spent investigating her problems? What does her record look like as far as attendance and productivity? What is the turnover like in her area (are people leaving because they're tired of listening to her?) Would advise looking for anything that you are able to substantiate as to the effect it has on the workforce and time it takes to work with her.

We've found that it sometimes helps to tell people that life is too short to be so unhappy and ask whether they have thought of looking elsewhere for employment since it seems they're not happy or satisfied working for us.
  • I have done as mbeam has said and told the chronically unhappy that if you are really that unhappy you should quit. Even have done this as I have handed them a resignation form.
    Then of course they sputter........say well it's not that bad etc. I then tell them I really don't want to hear their complaints over every little thing. If you don't like it here, and are unhappy quit, otherwise quit complaining. Of course I wasn't an HR guy when I did this.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Aren't these kinds of employees a joy?! When dealing with employees who have filed suits or complaints, we have found that documenting every interaction with the employee, whether it is initiated by us or them, has saved us in the long run when it comes to an investigation or trial. It takes some time but it's well worth it. We of course also document the positive outcomes of these interactions as well so that it doesn't appear we are trying to build a case against the employee.

Unfortunately, you are likely stuck with this person. Retaliation is hard to disprove, especially when performance and attendance are good. Some of our best success in periodically adjusting an employee's attitude is have an interactive discussion with her about what outcome she is wanting to resolve her complaint. We discuss options, reach an agreement, document it all, and then move forward in keeping our part of the agreement. If she wains from her part of the agreement, we pull out the paper and remind her of what she agreed to. While she might complain, things are generally better than they were and with these kinds of agreements to pull out and discuss with her, she doesn't fuss near as much.

I feel for you. Contact your attorney, pull all the involved folks together and start putting together your documentation as if you were going to trial, see what you have and then take action. Good luck!
  • I have to disagree with part of Reggie's post. I think that if you convene a task force to discuss termination options for this person when she has done nothing more substantial than being annoying you will be proving her point about disparate treatment. It reminds me of something a therapist once said to me: "Even paranoids have real enemies."
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-06-03 AT 11:30AM (CST)[/font][p]BEVERLY, MS: Welcome to the net!!!Soon "Dandy Don" will be on and lissen closely to what he writes; he has union experience, which I do not have. Not withstanding, no experience, you can probably terminate based on many factors that do not reflect a"retailation effort", if the history of bad attitude is well documented. The fact that the union is also interested in the seperation should assist your company in saying it is time to call it "quits", because her discontent for the company and the employees is reason enough to cancel your employer/employee relationship. If you do not have a poor attitude clause in your disciplinary policy, then you maybe in trouble.

It is then EEOC and the attorney "DAWGS" that will attempt to tie your termination action to discrimination under any protected class and Title VII.

Probably, you should find a way to use her talents in some other capacity in some other location, and then order a transfer for the companies' best interest. Maybe, she will refuse and seperation then becomes mute, terminate and do not waste your time trying to fight UE claims.

As a minimum the individual needs a letter of instruction, which lays out the companies' case for viewing this ee as an "attitude problem" as witnessed by the company management, labor, and the Union. Address the "specific behaviors" that must be changed, identify the physical actions that the company and the Union expect to see in order to properly identify the things accomplished, which demonstrate a supportive behavior and attitude!

PORK, from the very wet state of MS.

P.S.Have the Department Manager sign and issue the letter, if Union rep. will willing sign as a witness, then do it, but don't let the Union's reluctance stop your action!

Good luck, PORK
  • Beverly, Pork is all wet (har!) on this one. I'll bet you 5 pounds of smoked pork sausage from the Allentown Farmers Market that the union people will NEVER officially sanction this kind of treatment to one of their members. The reason they won't is because the member can turn around and sue the union for non-representation. Without legitimate, documented willful misconduct you won't have a leg to stand on in arbitration. And would it shock you to know that once an employee wins in arbitration and is reinstated his/her productivity goes down? Some shock, huh?