Question about SHRM

Hello everyone, as some of you may know I am 1 year into my HR career and really enjoying the challenges and variety that HR has to offer. I am an HR assistant and I do a lot of research for the HR Manager. I have been looking around for new resources and came across the Society for Human Resource Management. I don't know anyone who is a member and it's really dificult to see what you might be signing up for on the website since everything for members is blocked off, so I thought I might ask the forum for there opinions on this organization. I did a search on the forum for SHRM and didn't see anything on this topic, so if you know of a previous thread, please direct me.

What I would like to know is, are you a member and would you recommend membership for someone who does HR research for the company (I research policies, FMLA, ADA, all fringe benefits, compensation, job descriptions)?

What about for someone who would like to learn more about all aspects of HR, how much inforamtion does this organization offer...

I will have to ask for the membership fee's from my boss, so I would like your honest opinions! Thank you.
April

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SHRM membership is a very good investment. I've been a member for years and will pay my own fee if necessary to keep the membership current. If you can't get your company to pay for your membership, there are other boards and web sites such as this one that have good information.

SHRM has a research feature that should be a great asset to your current job.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-25-03 AT 12:42PM (CST)[/font][p]SHRM is an excellent source of information, along with HRhero.com. I recommend both highly.
  • SHRM is the probably the best HR professional association - I have been a member for more than 30 years. If you are in a metropolitan area of any size there is probably a SHRM chapter in operation where you can go to meetings, learn stuff and meet other HR professionals.
  • Join. A great source of information. And a good networking source.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-26-03 AT 10:00AM (CST)[/font][p]I have been a SHRM member for about 6 years. It is very good for basic federal information. I keep mine up-to-date for their magazines and discounts for my local SHRM organization and conferences. For someone just starting out in the HR field, SHRM is a great resource. Somes times I get frustrated because lately I have been referred to consulting companies or charged an additional fee. M. Lee Smith Publishers offer a lot more samples of the materials you may be looking for, free to members.
  • We consider SHRM a good federal source and at a very reasonable price. For state specific info Lee Publishing is excellent. Of course, HRHero is outstanding.
  • We do subscibe to the Ohio Employment Law Letter, would that mean I am eligible to gain free access to all the resources you all have described on HRhero? Since we are a non-profit org. the less money spent by HR the better, so anything we already qualifiy for would probably the better option for me.
    Thanks for the help so far!

April
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-26-03 AT 12:37PM (CST)[/font][p]If you subscribe, you should have access. I would still recommend joining SHRM even if your company will not pay for it. I would look into finding out if there is a local chapter.
  • April,

We would love for you to make full use of the subscribers' area of HRhero.com, which is included in the cost of your subscription to Ohio Employment Law Letter. You can search the library of newsletter articles for any employment law topic under the sun. We have all the articles from Employment Law Letters in all 50 states plus D.C. They go back to 1994 in most states, including Ohio.

You also can search Ohio statutes and regulations. There's a great Policy and Procedure Manual with sample policies. And there are 20-some HR Executive Special Reports, which are 60-page books on a single topic.

You've paid for it, so please use it. All you need is your password. Just call customer service at (800) 274-6774 and ask for Ruth. She's expecting your call and will give you your password and walk you through the website.

(Subscribers in other states: call the same number and tell us what state you're in and we'll connect you to your own customer service rep.)

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I for one have been in the HR business for 28 years, once was a member of SHRM and went to annual meetings. After 6 years of membership I had to assess my need for this high level self serving organization. It like all organization have a characteristic for a need for self perpetuation. Without taking care of the needs of the membership, the organization will die. "Lobby" is one of those things that the SHRM DOES WELL FOR OUR HR COMMUNITY. After 6 years of membership and going to the annual big shingdig, I found better and cheaper training resources. THIS MEDIUM FOR A BRAND NEW UP STARTING HR GENERALIST IS ALL THAT YOU NEED. If your company opportunities are very up-scale then you must also ride that pony and the continued education and credentials are important. Before you get all enthoused with SHRM get your under graduate degree, get your masters in the HR field of vocations, followed then by your SHRM certifications and with a $1.50 you might be able to buy a cup of coffee.

MY PRESENT POSITION AN OPPORTUNITY FOR EMPLOYMENT WAS INFLUENCED WITH MY EDUCATION ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE HR VOCATIONS. SHRM credentials are not part of them.

PORK
  • Regarding Pork's response I must say that while I agree with his point, I have seen several ads for HR people that do indicate PHR or SPHR either required or preferred. But as he said, if you can, go get the degree first if you can't do that then the SHRM certification is a good second choice.
  • I agree with Dakota_007 SHRM does not provide state specific information, it is Federal employment information only not written by an attorney. The hrhero.com has everything you need all in one location. The Ohio Employment Law Letter is information written by an attorney. You really don’t need to subscribe to SHRM because you are already a member of hrhero.com, therefor you already have access to everything you are looking for……:-?
  • I was on vacation last week so I am doing a little bit of catch up right now...
    Thanks to all who have responded.
    I called to get my password for the HR hero subcribers only section (thanks for the tip) only to find out that my boss has not renewed our subcription and it ran out in April! We will be sitting down to talk about the importance of this website and the Employment Law Letter this afternoon :) . I know she will renew after I go over all the valuable resources we will be missing out on if we do not renew.

To Pork - I do have my undergraduate degree, B.A. in Psychology and Business, but I probably will not be going for my masters anytime soon. Im really trying to build up my experience right now and save money! Maybe I'll go back after I finish paying off my other student loans!

Thanks!
    April
  • APRILSHOWERS: Work experience can and in my book does very well at substituting for the upper level instruction. I learned while getting my masters in counseling that you get more out of education based directly on the amount of personal energy you put into getting your eduction. The same is true of work "you can get more out of everything based on the amount of energy you put into anything". I too believe you'll get your membership renewed, because you will present to your boss a well prepared suggestion for the justification.

Most likely, she did not renew because she was a sideliner and did not participate nor challange "Dandy Don nor Pork's posting or bother to post. So make sure you know the background as to why she did not renew. I had to think a few minutes about renewal, because I felt an addiction to the forum was not a good reason; after which I gave the company credit for me being a better HR as a result of all the time spent posting and looking up facts and answers to postings.

And then I also realized, I was important to many young HRs and "Dandy Don" to help them to also become better HRS, so my company renewed.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-07-03 AT 11:11AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-07-03 AT 11:10 AM (CST)[/font]

A few things:

Work experience in the HR field is more valuable than a degree in it. However, if you find your 'passion' is HR work and then pursue a degree in it - all the more power to you. Other than work experience, here's what you can do to augment your training/learning:

SHRM - especially if you're new - join it. After you have been in the field for awhile - then it's your choice. It's a great place for beginners - mainly for their local chapter access. I belong, but I find the most enjoyment from the local meetings - this is an opportunity to network and 'round-table' to a certain degree with others in the profession (it's a free membership because I belong to the national level - check this out as I'm not sure if it's free in others areas). The website is okay - but mainly just for the forms, etc - and then it's only a starting point as you have to jibe the information with local laws. Their magazine, in my humble opinion, is completely useless nonsense.

Employment Law Letter - MUST HAVE! I'm not saying this just to get into the good graces of M. Lee Smith - I truly mean it. Every single training session I go to (outside of M. Lee Smith) reference the same information I have already received from my Washington Employment Law Letter. In fact, the information is even better in the Law Letter than at these other sessions - mainly due to the last paragraph in each article - IMPACT TO EMPLOYERS. It's a VITAL tool for the current laws in your state.

Finally, update your 'Favorites' folder on the 'net. I have a folder called HR Contacts and one called Government Contacts. Within each of these folders, I have the websites to several government/commercial agencies. This too, becomes a vital tool for telephone numbers, laws, guidelines, procedures, forms, etc.
  • "DITTO, DITTO, DITTO" I ALSO DO THE LEADERSHIP INSTRUCTION TO ALL LEADERS/MANAGEMENT/SUPERVISORs and Leadership Trainees; I USE "THE 10 DANGER ZONES TO SUPERVISOR/MANAGER" as my center piece to a 12 module supervisor/manager/leadership training program. I supplement the material in these 10 modules with company provisions, procedures, and policy. Hand outs of teaching points are developed from the newsletters on the current issues, court developments, and actual case history within our own company and personnel files with confidential information blanked out. Good Luck, PORK
  • I do not belong to SHRM, but am very active in the local chapter. You don't have to have a national SHRM membership to join the local chapter. Here in San Antonio, the membership is $65 per year. I work for a non-profit also, and can relate to your budget concerns. The local chapter provides great networking, reasonable legal update seminars ($99) and good monthly meeting speakers/presentations. My organization pays for the annual membership, and I pay for the monthly meeting/dinner fee of $20. I would encourage you to check it out.
  • E Wart
    Just to clarify things.... I am assuming you are talking about the SHRM National Membership. As many others have mentioned, there could also be a local SHRM chapter in your area. (The membership in these two are separate.)
    SHRM National is good for national research. If you have a specific question or problem, they can also do some local research for you. They are a great lobbying tool as well as the national conventions, which are costly, but very good. (If it is in your area, volunteer to help and get a discount.)
    Local chapters are good for networking, getting to know others in your field, and, if ever needed, finding a job. However, I have been quite disappointed lately in how our chapter has been run. They are nickel and diming you to death and, due to the size of Atlanta chapter, have decentralized. I feel they have lost a lot of their effectiveness. Also, the chapter can be leaning toward a certain area of HR that you might not be interested in learning. If you have a chapter anywhere near by, ask if you can attend a meeting as a guest first to see if you like it.
    As far as the SHRM certification... I have my SPHR designation. I don't feel I learned much at all from getting this, except how to study for a standardized test. I also don't feel that most people even understand what the certification is for. However, if you are planning to work in the field, it might be something you could consider looking at in the future. I know that SHRM will continue to push it and encourage companies to look at it.
    I too feel that I have gained most of my knowledge from work as well as a few very good seminars that I have lucked into, some at a very reasonable price.
    Good luck in the future.
  • It is great as usual to hear from all these old salts, and they have given both you (Aprilshowers) and I great feedback on this subject. I am a middle salt with a few hard years under my belt, having not had the luxary of training under someone, was thrown directly into the fire. I have found this service to be the best source for me to learn. I also am a local SHRM chapter member, and would not give that up. I have called on individuals there more than once for help. I have thought about SHRM national, but as of yet I have not seen a good reason. I am considering certification and have found out that membership is not required. Check out the certification web site, I think it is [url]www.hrci.com[/url].

Good luck