bulletin board postings, notices, etc.

Must everything the Company posts as information, wheter on breakroom doors, bulletin boards,within departments be signed and dated? What rules should be followed to eliminate employees posting union organization information? We refer to bulletin boards in our handbook as follows - are we covered?:

E. COMPANY BULLETIN BOARD

The Company bulletin board is conveniently located just outside the break area. Information posted on this board is important. Please make it a daily practice to read bulletins and do your part to keep yourself informed. Only authorized personnel will be allowed to post or remove items from the Company bulletin board.

F. EMPLOYEE BULLETIN BOARD

A bulletin board is located in the break area for your personal use. All items should be submitted to the Human Resource Department for posting. Items may remain up for a maximum of two weeks. This will prevent overcrowding and give all employees an opportunity to use the board. Any items not dated or initialed by Human Resources will be removed.

The Company will have ultimate control of the employee bulletin board. Material which is of a political or controversial nature will be removed. The Company shall have the right to remove the employee bulletin board in the event this privilege is abused. Materials may not be posted on the walls or doors.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Should specifically address 'no solicitation' on boards or anywhere else on company property. And make clear that HR must approve, not just post the material. The only exception to solicitation policy should be current ee's are allowed to post personal items for sale or sales drives for their minor children's school or groups to which they belong.
  • We are debating this issue right now. How can you allow employees to post, "Truck for sale" and not post, "$5 T-shirts with NLRB logo"? How can the company approve "Come to my wedding reception bbq" and not "Come to my Labor organization's bbq"?
  • I don't know the wisdom or rationale. I just know our corporate legal department published our postings which allows only employee sales. We don't allow employees to post notices about personal meetings and specifically prohibit the distribution of non-company related literature by any employee on the premises.
  • If you had to set up the policy yourself, would you allow any sort of postings from employees?
  • Only with the requirement that all requests for postings come across my desk in HR with a decision made by HR as to whether or not they would be posted. It is important to note that "a union is a business, with their business objective being the receipt of money in the form of dues" and the notice should say that no postings will represent any other business entity. This pretty much takes care of union postings on company boards, depending on the sufficiency of your posting wording.
  • We have a similar policy. All postings must be approved by someone in HR and we will monitor and remove unapproved postings. The policy states clearly that the bulletin board is only for posting items the employees are selling or giving away - cars, furniture, etc. Employees are allowed to post only on the designated board.
  • Be sure to include any place on the property, in addition to bulletin boards, walls, and doors. We just had a case of employees taking offense to a joke that had been taped to the refrigerator. I guess that's a kind of door, but just be thorough and cover everything.