Off-Site Events

Our company agreed to sponsor a soccer team for our employees who wished to join a local league. We paid the entrance fee and for the uniforms but offer no other support to the team. Over the weekend there were three members of our team that were expelled from the soccer league after an arguement turned into a fist fight on the side lines. Our General Manager wants to reprimand these employees for inappropriate behavior while acting a representatives of our company. Can we do this? We do not extend any company benefits such as workmans comp. etc. to these players while they are engaged in off-site activities so how can we discipline them? Also, can we issue a policy for this type of activity and how we expect our employees to act while they respresent our company?

SMS

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wouldn't recommend any reprimand, for all the reasons you mention. Although from a political point of view it's poor behavior - on the part of the players. It reminds me of a company outing we once had at a major league baseball game, when one of our employees (very drunk) was calling entire sections "f---rs" because they would not do the "wave". We just let it go - and didn't plan another event like it.
  • I disagree. If they are wearing the company name on their shirts (or whatever) and are visible "representatives" of the company, I think a reprimand is appropriate. In our company, we have a policy that bars inappropriate behavior that reflects poorly on the image of our Inns or the company as a whole and a reprimand under these circumstances would be very appropriate.
  • The phrase damned if you do, damned if you don't comes to mind. x:D I am not going to say if you should or should not reprimand. First does you company handbook discuss behavior away from work, and representing the company in a positive way?
    A discussion with those involved may be more appropriate, explaining your dissappointment that while on a company sponsered team, with the name on the shirts I assume, that they behaved in this mannor.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree with Parabeagle. In my past life in the restaurant industry, we had a policy about behavior when wearing anything in public that would represent the company. If you don't have a policy, you can put one in place which might be a good idea if you want to continue these sponsorships.