Vacation Question

We have an employee who has worked for our company for over four years. We have had various owners during that time and no written policies. We are changing this person's job status and he is asking that we pay him for vacation that he did not take during the past four years. What do I do?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How are you changing status?...from full to part time..?

Are you saying that ee never took "any" vacation..or didn't take it all?

Regardless of written policies, what has been the practice of the company in relation to other ee's in his current "status"? Did they get paid vacation, did they take it, and did anybody ever get paid when they didn't take it?

Does the company not have any written policies..or just not in relation to vacation?

• We have no written policies. There are only eight of us and the previous owners were pretty lax. People took off when they wanted to and did not get paid vacation time if they did not take it. This person feels that he should have been paid for vacation he did not take but until now, with a new owner, he never said anything. I feel that we can't go back four years just because he thinks we should. He started out full time exempt - went to part time - now he wants to be full time commission only. We are bending over backwards to work with him but it is getting old.
  • Tell him "No" ......Unless you have a state statute controlling the use and payout of vacation time, or you have a practice of paying out vacation. Since vacation is generally not required, you get to set the rules.
  • I agree with Hunter1. (Though it wouldn't hurt to try to nail down some procedures for going forward with the new owners.)

Good luck..
  • Yes, we are heading that way. Thanks to all