>
    >>
    >Regarding the whole failing to leave work issue, I spoke with the
    >Manufacturing Director who feels that putting this into some type of
    >written policy will limit us in the future should this situation
    >happen again. He wants to be able to handle it on a case-by-case
    >basis instead.
    >
    >Thanks for your continued interest as well as all your help.
    >We'll see what happens.

A case by case basis?? WHAT??? Sounds like they need to grow a spine. Talk about opening up your company for discrimination. Put a policy in place and stick to it. This situation will happen again because by now everyone knows how badly this ee behaved and can see that they are still employed.

Just my thoughts...

• I agree - write a policy, have all employees sign that they have been notified of the new policy and what the consequences are if it's violated and stick to it. Case by case is not a good idea. Just my thoughts and opinion!

LFernandes
  • I agree with Peg and L about your need to develop a quick and effective policy to follow consistently. And, you have two people (minimum) snatching you around. One is the Mfg Director who loves to pretend to be the HR Director and the other is the union rep, who loves to pretend to be anybody he wants to be. I assume the union rep doesn't work in HR, nor does he have any HR training. He makes useless and uninvited suggestions as to how you might or should or should HAVE proceeded. Dismiss his notions. His role is to keep an eye on the provisions of the contract from the union's perspective and to represent those covered by the CBA in their efforts to have a voice, not to serve as the 'union suggestion peanut gallery' for the HR Department. If he wants to remind you that in 3 other similar instances you handled this type of incident with an EAP referral, that's certainly his role. But, to pipe up and suggest how you might or should operate is not a role of his, and you have a responsibility to nip it in the bud each time he tries to exercise it.

If you allow this Mfg Director to continue to hold you hostage to his whims of how he thinks HR should operate, you will remain forever frustrated in your role. Why not just tell him, "I promise not to make production scheduling decisions if you'll stop making HR decisions."
  • Does anyone besides me find this situation ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS? You don't leave your job without notifying a supervisor. Period. Get the employee counseling? Give me a break. Whoever suggested this needs the counseling. I get so tired of having to come up with policies for things so obvious. As mentioned earlier, you found out what type of person leaves their job without notifying anyone. And thank goodness I don't work for a company with a union. I'm venting.

Perhaps you can add words in your employee handbook to cover this situation...
    Ours says "There are some extreme situations or offenses for which immediate termintion of employment is necessary and appropriate. Such extreme offenses include, but are not limited to: .... This list is not exclusive and managment reserves the right to discipline or discharge when in its sole discretion it is warranted." Include job abandonment in your list, or it seems that you may need to spell out what "job abandonment" means. Wouldn't want an employee saying they didn't know. "If you leave the work area during unscheduled break times without notifying a supervisor, or person substituting for the supervisor, your employment with the company may be (will be?) terminated."

I'm sure there are better words but you get the idea. TGIF! Have a great weekend and don't think about it for a couple days.
  • Incredible as it may seem, I termed an employee last year for the same offense. He recieved unemployment because it wasn't specifically stated in our policy. We appealed, and finally won, but OMG, what a nuisance.

So last October we added the quoted words to our insubordination definition:

2. Insubordination. Willful disobedience of reasonable and legitimate instructions issued by a superior, including, but not limited to, intentional or negligent failure to perform assigned work, or correct job performance as outlined in a counseling or disciplinary action, "or walking off the job without permission (job abandonment)."