Comp Time and Leave Time

The superintendent's secretary came to me with a question about how the business office is charging her with comp time. She gets comp time by spending extra hours each month at our Board of Trustees meeting. This usally amounts to about eight hours by the time she sets up and cleans up after the meeting. If she is out a day during the month, the business office is charging her with a personal leave day and taking her comp hours away for the same day. She has jury duty coming up and now they are telling her that she will have to use her comp time for jury duty. We don't even charge our teachers a personal leave day for jury duty. What is it about comp time that I am missing. This makes no sense to me.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds like your business office is the problem, not your understanding of comp time. If she is a non-exempt employee (public sector), she gets to accrue comp time at the rate of time and one-half for hours she works beyond 40 per week, (if you have a comp time policy in place) and gets to take the time off when it doesn't unduly disrupt the business. Much of this would depend on your policies, though. Do you have a policy on pay for jury duty? If so, follow the policy. At any rate, the business office shouldn't be deducting BOTH comp time and personal days for a single day absence. If you have further questions, email me directly.
  • Just an FYI, check your state regs. In Colorado, the employer pays the first three days of Jury Duty.