Health question

In our employee's folder we have sections. One being benefits. We place all enrollment forms and benefits information and the like in this. Under the new HIPPEA law, Should this section be filed in another area? or is it safe to be in the employee's folder?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 09:54AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 09:53 AM (CST)[/font]

Anything that pertains to health must be in a separate folder. As a precaution I keep all benefit information in a separate folder away from the employee folder.
  • However, enrollment forms and benefits information do not typically (ever?) include protected health information. I've always separated out those forms as well though. But, if your practice has been to put an enrollment form, beneficiary form or signature sheets on the benefits stuff in the personnel file, since it is not sensitive or confidential in nature, I wouldn't change the practice necessarily. Although not prohibited, things like those forms are easiest just kept in the medical file.
  • So I should take out the health related paperwork and leave things like profit sharing, life insurance in the personnel file. Any medical adds, deletes ect. should be keep in my new "medical file" right? Has this always been the case or because of the new HIPPA law?
  • Actually it came into being with ADA, some years ago. Nothing medical related can be in the general personnel file. This applies to anything that could identify a condition, disability, history or that could lead to assumptions about any of those things. This also includes those old list we used to keep on people's medications to assist in case they had an emergency. These laws make that not a good idea any longer.