Which HR Software System do you use?

I would like to know which HR Software System you use?
We are a small manufacturing environment, with under 50 ees, and all the HR stuff is done manually. It's very time consuming and I thought it might be time to join the rest of the world with some HR software.

And not having experience with which types of HR software work best for different environments, my guess is that we'll need something to track attendance (that can work with both time clocked non-exempts,and exempts), vacation, sick days, etc... and that can integrate with the ADP system we now use to do payroll - and eventually could grow with our as yet undetermined needs as well.

I would greatly appreciate your input on which system you use and recommend, what the cost factor is, and how easily it is to implement.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use ADP's HR module, which is great. Of course we are using ADP for PR too!
  • I am also with a manufacturing organization with 140 employees I use ABRA HR & Payroll. I am very happy with it however, it is quite expensive.
  • We are currently using ADP for Payroll and their ReportSmith package which I find very cumbersome to deal with. We are looking to bring our payroll inhouse and phase out ADP all together by the end of the year.

We are currently looking at PeopleSoft which is very expensive, but will grow with your company. I actually found out from PeopleSoft that ADP is using a very old version of their software.

There is also a MicroSoft product called Great Plains which is a payroll/HR package which is a lot less expensive than PeopleSoft.
  • We are using PeopleTrak. It is very simple to use, comprehensive, and less expensive than most of the others. We are also a manufacturing operation with 55 employees. When I looked into software for this company, I got demos from several different companies and tried them out. Go to SHRM's website and look up software. It will give you some ideas.
  • I'm also on Abra, which I hate. However, I'm also open to the possibility that it was installed incorrectly on our end... which is further amplified by the fact that "we" are too cheap to pay for the tech support.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-28-03 AT 11:08AM (CST)[/font][p]I have had experience with ABRA, HR Perspectives (ADP's HRIS) and CSS HRizon (a former ADP HRIS). None of which were cheap. However, for a smaller company I would go with ABRA. I love HR perspectives, however, it is very in-depth and cost more than ABRA. ABRA is very limited in it's query and reporting capabilities. I think they can both be linked directly with ADP. HR Perspective allows you to import and export with word and excel.
  • I've been in HR for a long time and have worked for a large manufacturing company and currently work in a company with around 115 employees. I've had experience with ABRA, ADP (HR & Payroll), Ceridian Payroll, Ulti-Pro (HR & Payroll) & Great Plains (HR & Payroll). My choice for ease of intergration of HR & Payroll, report writing, etc is Ulti-Pro. It is more expensive of course. We currently use the Great Plains package. I'm pleased with it but generating reports is somewhat confusing. Could be that I haven't had any formal training and don't have time to sit and "play" with the system. I think Great Plains is a good choice for small employers. I might add that one of the reasons we chose Great Plains is intergration with our accounting software.
  • We also use ADP for our payroll and HR Profile through ADP. We have 220 employees and it work great for us. We generate reports through ReportSmith and create reports that we need in addition to the ones already programed in.
  • We use People-Trak for HR reports. Our payroll is all done separately. People-Trak is capable of doing more than than the basic reports and attendance tracking that I use it for, but sometimes I wish it were more flexible. I would like to be able to create additional fields to track more information specific to our company. This is not the most expensive program, but it is not cheap either.
  • I use an in house system for HR and payroll; OSHALOG, AND J.J.KELLER'S PROGRAMS FOR OSHA REGS & SAFETY CONCERNS. I have also useD ABRA, when I was the HR for a Coca Cola Bottling company, and wished we would have used the payroll system that also came with it. However, it was set-up and provided all of the other personnel needs but safety. Definately, get your manual systems converted to computer systems. Don't forget your excel program for the ability to design your on spreadsheet type of needs. EEOC & accounts payable and budgeting concerns can easily be satisfied with EXCEL. Last week I completed a 200 person program for comparsion of the salary & wages by Age, Race, male, female employees, & management (salaried) labor (hourly) averages, mean, mid range, and low. It was a time consuming process to get every one's name, position, income, race, sex into a page. After which, it took only the pressing of a key to get a profile arranged based on what the GM wanted to see. IT WAS AN EYE OPENER. Good luck, welcome to the HR world of do "everything with nothing" or much less than you should have. PORK
  • We use Ceridian for our payroll and are trying to ease into the HR side of Ceridian. However, with not a lot of extra time or money on our hands, we wind up doing a lot of things manually and/or on excel.

I encourage everyone who has to do something manually to look at it and see if a report could be generated to help them. Some folks see that as job security, I see it as a "time waster".

Good luck on your search. Report back to us so that we can see how it goes!

Zanne