Best way to inform someone they did not get the job?

Hi,

This matter is not so urgent or pressing. I was just wondering what you think is the most tactful way to explain to someone that they did not get a job they interviewed for. We recently interviewed a number of candidates for an open position, and hired an excellent person for the job. We had two candidates that had great interviews, but upon checking their references, we found one had lied about the length of service on one position, and another candidate had only worked temporary positions for the last four years, and getting a solid reference from the temp agencies was near impossible.

Now I am getting calls from the candidate with the background as a temp, wanting to know if her references were the reason that she did not get the job.

What would you say?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do not provide false information, even if you think it will make the news be accepted more readily. Avoid providing information that is directly attributable to a specific source, or you know that you will never be able to get references in the future. I recommend that you provide only very limited, general information, and only information which will be of assistance/value to the candidate in making him or herself a better candidate. Frankly, this sounds like a situation where the candidate was done in by a lack of references (which is a consequence of temporary work that the candidate should have anticipated), rather than poor references. No magic words, but I would use something like, "We enjoyed meeting you and found the interview very helpful. However, your employment in only temporary positions in recent years made it difficult for us to obtain detailed references. Getting comments from people who have extended experience in working with you would have been helpful. We selected another candidate who seemed to be a better fit for the job. We thank you for your interest in the company and wish you well in your job search."

• This is the standard letter I sent to candidates who were not chosen for the job:

"Thank you for applying for the position of ______. We also appreciate your taking the time to come for an interview.

The interview team has selected the candidate whose qualifications and work experience closely match the requirements of the position. Although you were not selected for the position, we ppreciate your interest in being employed with our company. We wish you much success in your continuing career endeavors."

Without divulging confidential information, I tell candidates (who call to find out why they did not get the job) that several factors have been considered by the interview team (minimum of three people); and we just have to offer the job to the candidate whose qualifications and work experience closely match the requirements. I also encourage them to visit our website for future openings.
    I hope this is helpful.

Eva

• I agree with Eva. Our company uses a similar letter format. There is no easy way to tell someone they did not get the job. Usually I do not respond to telephone calls regarding this question, but rather tell the applicant that a letter will be forthcoming regarding the position. If, in your letter, you wish to be more specific and make a kind suggestion to limited references and helpful suggestions to help the applicant get a better handle on what he/she might need the next time, I see nothing wrong with that, of course this is in the cases where you have had a direct question asked. We have all been there in our careers at one time or another and someone taking the time to provide a little helpful guidance doesn't hurt anyone....of course, that is only my opinion.