English to Spanish dictionary for HR & Benefits

Can anyone please tell me if there is a good resource out there for translating English into Spanish? We have a Spanish-speaking employee who does most of our translations, however, there are some hr and benefits terms she is not sure of how to translate. Does anyone know of a hr/benefits dictionary or website that would help solve this problem?

THANKS!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Try this one...
    [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/[/url]
    It will translate phrases in many different language combinations.
  • That is actaully what I used until we hired on this person who speaks Spanish. The problem is that she is fluent, but there are still some words - especially when it comes ot HR terms and Beneift legal language that she is unsure of either the word or how to translate it to make sense.
  • Maybe the "Mexican" consultate? We've used them before for legal document translation, from English to Spanish. Just a thought...
  • I checked with one of our freelance Spanish translators. A good basic English to Spanish dictionary should cover most of the terms you are seeking. Collins, Oxford and Simon-Schuster all publish good ones. Get the most recent edition. If those don't help, there are Spanish/English dictionaries for economics that might be useful.

There are also several web sites where translators can post terminology questions and get answers from other translators. Two of them are:

groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=sci.lang.translation

[url]www.geocities.com/Athens/7110/lantra.htm[/url]

These are for all languages. A bit of hunting should turn up some that are just for Spanish translation, if it's necessary. These forums are great because you don't have to buy an expensive dictionary to get a few terms. The other translators usually answer very quickly.

AltaVista's Babblefish is a good translation tool if all you need to know is the contents of a document. However, machine translation is still in its infancy. The translations are not always accurate. I still have vivid memories of a Japanese patent on electroplating that was "translated" with Bablefish. We never could figure out what the cuttlefish was doing in there or how it survived the electroplating bath. I would not recommend Babblefish for anything that you are going to hand out to employees or have printed, unless you have it proofread by a native speaker of the language first.
  • There is a gentleman I have used out of California, who is quite proficient at this. He does quite a bit of translation work for the California Bar. He also teaches a class to Spanish speaking employees about sexual harassment, which includes the cultural differences as well as the language differences between "anglo employees" (his words) and Spanish employees. His partner teaches a class to English speaking supervisors about how to manage an Hispanic work force called "Gringo Management." If you are interested in contacting them, please feel free to call me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]