Am I Paranoid?

Hi Everyone,

You've all been great with your responses to my posts so I now turn to you for help with a situation I'm in.

I've been working for my NY employer for 4 years. I'm originally from CT and will be relocating back to CT for family reasons (I need to care for my dad). I've offered to commute back and forth to the Island daily which was accepted. I was even told that they would do whatever it takes to keep me on. Then my boss suggested that I telecommute 4 days a week and only come in to the office 1 maybe 2 days a week if I was needed which I, of course, jumped at.

Now as the days count down to my relocation I've been getting the "signals". I asked to have a meeting with my boss and my CFO to talk about the logistics of how everything will work, computer, payroll, telephone, etc. My boss and CFO had the meeting without me and I was told that I'll need to sit down with my boss and a accounting clerk and go over all my job responsibilities "since I won't be in the building that much".

Is the "writing on the wall" or am I just being paranoid. I wish they would just be up front with me.

Thanks...x:-(

LFernandes

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't know if I can do more than sympathize, but I can see why you feel paranoid. I'd do what they asked, and set up the meeting with my supervisor to figure out the details before I got too worried.

Good luck, wish I could telecommute.
  • Good advice to sit down and talk with the boss. I'd just say I was concerned that this meeting that involved me and my work schedule was held without me and I'd like to know if this arrangement that had been agreed upon was still acceptable. You never know how these telecommuting things will work out until you actually put them into place.

Our CFO actually telecommutes. He had some family issues where he had to move from SC to Indiana (where he was originally from) and he actually comes back to SC one week out of the month to be "on site". He "attends" our management meetings every week via telephone and we email back and forth with any concerns. It has been working great so far, but keep in mind, he works mainly with numbers, facts and figures where Human Resources works with people. It may or many not work as well if you need to deal with a people issue face to face. It's just something that has to be felt through.

Hope things work out for you.

• Stick with your funny feeling on this one. It may be OK, but on the other hand someone may be behind the scenes throwing rocks at the agreement. If more problems appear after you are telecommuting, find a job in Conn.
  • It's not the writing on the wall. It's the writing on the paper. I would try to get it in writing.
  • Well I had a conversation with our CFO and it wasn't very reassuring. In fact, my radar went up as soon as he said something like "it's not like we're going to take away your job but we need to know everything you do."

I'll keep you posted but it looks like I'll be in the market for a new job. Anyone looking for a great HR Manager in the CT area? xpray

LF
  • They say that even paranoids have real enemies. However, why are you now considering moving on? If you don't like the signals you're getting, why not be proactive and offer up your original plan of "regular" commuting?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-14-03 AT 12:47PM (CST)[/font][p]The original plan was to commute 4 hours per day (2 hours each way). I would have to bring a laptop on board with me so that I could get work done on the way there and home. In addition, I would have to buy a second car to leave on the NY side because it costs $100 a day round trip to bring a car on which works out to be $2,000/month as opposed to $225 a month to walk on.

If I have to go back to the original plan of action, it doesn't make much sense to commute every day and I would be better off getting another job. I think the hardest part is knowing that the possibility of working at home was dangling out there for a minute and than vanished. But, they didn't even talk to me about going back to the original plan.

I hate interviewing.

LF
  • Before I would add 4 hours to my work day, I would look for another position. It sounds like what may have happened is that someone offered you this without checking with someone else first. The "someone else" probably said "This will never fly with the other employees, blah,blah, blah" or "everyone else is going to want to do this too and we will have a mess on our hands." Sounds like they are trying to weasil out of the original deal with you.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-14-03 AT 03:09PM (CST)[/font][p]In today's climate I'm not so sure any job is really safe! Seems to me that although you have been with this company for sometime you have a trust concern. If you can't trust the company supervisors/managers,then I would have a concern about working with them. At any rate, I would make sure that everything is in writing. Of course this step is taken so you are not confused or misunderstood what the company expects of you. I really empathize with your situation. I hope things work out well for you.
  • Thanks everyone for your input and your support. I'll try to get everything in writing but from some reason, I just don't see that happening.

LF
  • Leslie,

Why don't you write up the agreement rather than wait for them to write it up? That way they can't put you off by saying they haven't had time. Just present it with signature lines for both of you and tell them you think "this is what we've all agreed to." Assure them that if they want any changes, just to let you know and you'll redraft the document.

On the other hand, regardless of the document, they can decide to terminate you at any time. The advantage of the document is that it will make them think twice about doing it and will set you up to be eligible for unemployment if you need to look for a new job. I wouldn't quit unless you found some new, wonderful opportunity.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Paranoid? Probably so. I understand how you might feel, but one also has to think of upper management's position. There's a job to do and someone's got to do it. It's important that any telecommuting job be well defined so there is no miscommunication of expectations; either on employee's part or the employer's part. I suspect your feelings of paranoia will pass once you do sit down with management to work out all details. Good luck!
  • In today's world, the only one you can count on is yourself. Have you thought about trying to establish yourself as an indepedent HR person for several companies that may not be able to afford one full time? Contract yourself out. If you were considering telecommuting, what about something on the web. I sometimes have questions that I wish I could pose to a HR person but we do not have that position in the budget.
    Before my wife and I started our own business, I would work 60 or 70 hours a week, not get comp time or a bonus or anything. Now I work 60 or 70 hours a week for my wife and I and our employees. Just a thought.
  • I never thought of consultanting. Maybe that would be the way to go at least it would be a way to supplement my income. Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.
  • Globex is right about 'counting only on yourself in today's world'. As Merle Haggard sings, "The only thing I can count on now is my fingers." I hope you'll find plenty of things in Conn. that will justify deep-sixing the 4-hour commute. You could actually set up a payment plan on a small helicopter for what that ferry charge will come to each month.
  • Thanks for all the morale support. No matter where I end up, I'll keep up my posts on the forum.
    x:D

• Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know what's going on. I've relocated myself back to Connecticut and the Company is keeping me on. They've upgraded a server so that I can access the company network from home. I'm scheduled to get a cell phone and fax machine as well as a laptop so that I can be doing work as I commute back and forth to NY on the Ferry.

So far so good. My boss told me that there are some skeptics in the company that don't think it will work so I guess it's up to me to prove them wrong.

Anyway thanks again for all your support.

Laura
  • Congrats!!! I hope it works out for you. x:-)