her nose is growing...

ee called in two days in a row reporting sick child (I'm in Oregon so she has OFLA, care for sick child, non-serious health condition protection). We have a no fault attendance policy (union shop) so she would have gotten two occurrences had she not had protection from the sick child leave provision.

Today she commented to her manager that it was a shame that the company put her in a position that she had to call in with a sick child when it really was her that was sick.

Our work rules state that it is grounds for immediate termination if; you falsify reports or records (including ommission of/or failing to disclose pertinent facts)... absence, sickness or injury forms...

I say reserve her a spot in the unemployment line... but I'm feeling kind of catbertish today. What are your thoughts.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My thoughts? Two words. Hang 'em!

Lying, pure and simple.

Catbertish enough for you? ;-)
  • I'll take my answer and put it here...

To really get control of the situation and to keep a productive employee, don't bother with the employee at all. x}> Shoot the kid. #-o
    Your point is then made to her and to all the other employees...don't use your kids for phoney excuses. :DD xclap

• Give her a get well card with her pink slip.

• That will be a 'he-said-she-said' termination and will not fly with an arbitrator.
  • I once had a situation with an employee who was on a "last chance" agreement and called in stating that her child was ill. We weren't going to terminate (it was also a union shop with a no fault attendance policy) because to do so, we felt, would have been pretty heartless. Anyway upon return to work we found out, through the grapevine, that this was not the case. When the supervisor confronted her, she admitted that she provided false information regarding her illness. We terminated her and did not even receive a grievance from the union.

My suggestion would be to confront her with the information you have and if she admits that she lied, in keeping with company policy terminate her. IF the union files a grievance, I think they will have a hard time having her reinstated since she admitted she lied and you have company policy to back you up. If you make an exception and do not follow policy, you may as well toss out that portion of your policy because you have just created a precedent which the union NEVER forgets.

• You don't mention in your post if you've ever had any problems with this employee and attendance. What made her feel as if she had to lie? Was it simply to avoid two occurences? If so, was she close to termination or disciplinary action and that is why she chose to lie?

I would step back from the situation and examine as whether or not this warrants termination. My approach would be to have the supervisor go over the policy with the employee, documenting the conversation and making it clear that there is no tolerance for lying under the policy and cite her with the two occurrences based on her earlier conversation with the supervisor. Let her know if she does it again, it will result in immediate termination.

Good Luck.
  • With a no-fault attendance policy AND A UNION CONTRACT, you would never analyze to this extent to see if it makes sense to terminate or why she felt she had to lie. That will render you totally impotent with the future enforcement of the contract. I failed to suggest in my earlier post that IF you can verify her lie, fine, fire her. But, if it boils down to 'no, I did not tell him that,' you might be forced to back off termination.
  • Bring her in and get the facts. Was her child in school that day???? Find out the facts, and if she confirms the lie, fire her!!!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Off the subject here, but just noticed Don has passed another milestone. . 2000 posts. .
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-03 AT 11:28AM (CST)[/font][p]If she lied, I wouldn't fire her. The union would never let it stick. I would give a two week suspension and let myself(at the request of the union which knows how reasonable I can be) agree to a one week suspension.
  • It never ceases to amaze me - the degree of stupidity of some people. Not enough to lie....they have to come back and "brag" about it. In our organization, the employee would be terminated for this...but, we aren't union, so I couldn't comment on the rules there.

I love the idea of a get well card along with the pink slip!

• Have the manager immediately document that she told him/her she lied and file that away. Then, bring her in with the full intention of firing her. Act sympathetic to her plight, having to lie and all. When she admits it (thinking you are on her side), fire her. Then, you have her manager and you who have both heard her admit to it. If she doesn't admit it again, then fire her anyway.

• As usual entertaining and insightful comments from all!!!

I appreciate your experience and help,
    Stuart
  • Why didn't she just call in sick? I guess I dont understand that part. Would you expect her to come to work if she was in fact sick? Did she have sick days she could have used? Can't employees get sick in your company?

If this was a last straw type of thing and you want to be rid of her I guess you could go that way as others have suggested.

However, if she is a decent employee, talk with her and figure out why she did this. Write her up. Advise her on your attendance policies and move on.

Paul

p.s. Congrats on 2k posts Don D!